750GB in a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Trekkie, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

When I bought my mac pro the day it was announced, 750GB drives weren't available and several sites reported the inability to get more than three to work in the system.

Then about 60 or 90 days later 750GB Drives were available and there was no mention of any issues with 4x of them.

Does anyone know if you can get a 750GB drive (or 4) and put them in the systems shipped and there is no problem now? Was one of the firmware updates something that fixed that initial error?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

According to Apple

MacWorld seem to think so to.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

The 750GB were available when the Mac Pro's were released. I had two before I got my Mac Pro, then put them into my Mac Pro and had no problems.

4. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Well the original barefeats article has been modified after the fact due to changes in firmware on the drives but they were not available at launch. 500GB was the largest. It was only a few weeks later that they were added.

4x750GB drives originally flamed out with 'strange behavior' but later firmware updates apparently have addressed most issues except random write speeds in a RAID0 set.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, FOUR 750GBs caused problems, not one, two or three...

6. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Hence, my original question about FOUR of them

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Seemed to me like the question about about getting 1 drive to work...OR 4 drives. But you answered your own question with the barefeats.com link...so am I missing something?