Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
When I bought my Mac Pro the day it was announced, 750GB drives weren't available and several sites reported the inability to get more than three to work in the system.

Then about 60 or 90 days later 750GB Drives were available and there was no mention of any issues with 4x of them.

Does anyone know if you can get a 750GB drive (or 4) and put them in the systems shipped and there is no problem now? Was one of the firmware updates something that fixed that initial error?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
According to Apple

Apple said:
"Up to 3TB of Internal Storage

Mac Pro now comes with four, 3Gb/s internal SATA hard drive bays, each on its own independent channel. While the standard configuration comes with a single 250GB drive, you can fill yours with up to four 750GB SATA hard drives for up to 3 terabytes of lightning fast data storage. Using Mac OS X, you can stripe two, three, or all four of those drives in a RAID 0 array to increase performance and create a massive volume for video editing; or create a RAID 1 array for instant backups — as you work — of photos or other digital media.
Hard drive
3 terabytes of storage gives you:

* 6 hours of uncompressed HD video (1)
* 216 hours of high definition video(2)
* 252 hours of digital video (3)
* 375,000 RAW photos (4)

MacWorld seem to think so to.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
When I bought my Mac Pro the day it was announced, 750GB drives weren't available and several sites reported the inability to get more than three to work in the system.

Then about 60 or 90 days later 750GB Drives were available and there was no mention of any issues with 4x of them.

Does anyone know if you can get a 750GB drive (or 4) and put them in the systems shipped and there is no problem now? Was one of the firmware updates something that fixed that initial error?

The 750GB were available when the Mac Pro's were released. I had two before I got my Mac Pro, then put them into my Mac Pro and had no problems.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
The 750GB were available when the Mac Pro's were released. I had two before I got my Mac Pro, then put them into my Mac Pro and had no problems.

Well the original barefeats article has been modified after the fact due to changes in firmware on the drives but they were not available at launch. 500GB was the largest. It was only a few weeks later that they were added.

4x750GB drives originally flamed out with 'strange behavior' but later firmware updates apparently have addressed most issues except random write speeds in a RAID0 set.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Well the original barefeats article has been modified after the fact due to changes in firmware on the drives but they were not available at launch. 500GB was the largest. It was only a few weeks later that they were added.

4x750GB drives originally flamed out with 'strange behavior' but later firmware updates apparently have addressed most issues except random write speeds in a RAID0 set.

Yeah, FOUR 750GBs caused problems, not one, two or three...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.