Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I just saw a notification in iTunes that 8.4.1 is ready for download. Does this mean the signing window for 8.4 is closed?

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Download the 8.4 firmware from https://ipsw.me to your PC. In iTunes hold shift and update (or hold shift and restore if you're already jailbroken). Then manually select the downloaded 8.4 firmware.
This is true. Also, if you are on Mac, you would hold option rather than shift. I just did this and can confirm that at least as of an hour ago the signing window was still open for 8.4. Upgraded just in time from 7.1.2, I had everything dialed in quite nicely so I was hesitant to upgrade but I did it so that I could have Cydia Impactor and be able to restore and re-jailbreak any time

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
I tried the above method with the link provided for my iPad 2 (I already JBed my 6+) but when I use the "shift" method on the restore attempt I get
"The iPad could not be updated because the firmware file is not compatible."

I also tried downloading the ispw from the Redmond Pie site--can anyone offer any advice? I'm desperate to get this upgraded before the window closes. I know someone on another site mentioned that they had their happen but we're able to make it work with a different ispw...

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
I tried the above method with the link provided for my iPad 2 (I already JBed my 6+) but when I use the "shift" method on the restore attempt I get
"The iPad could not be updated because the firmware file is not compatible."

I also tried downloading the ispw from the Redmond Pie site--can anyone offer any advice? I'm desperate to get this upgraded before the window closes. I know someone on another site mentioned that they had their happen but we're able to make it work with a different ispw...
What's your iPad's Model No.? Which (of the 4) ipsw did you download?

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I DLed the one from Redmond Pie and from ispw.me
I don't know if any one source is better than the other, but I happened to DL mine from http://www.getios.com where there is a menu that makes sure you are selecting the right model, try it from there and make sure you are choosing the proper iPad model (revision number plus GSM, CDMA, or WiFi)

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
What's your iPad's Model No.? Which (of the 4) ipsw did you download?
Oops sorry, I forgot to include my model number, it's MC769LL/A

And again I DLed from the link provided above and one that I followed from Redmond Pie

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
Okay I just tried with the link you provided. And I still received the same message. Is there anything else I can try?

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
Okay I just tried with the link you provided. And I still received the same message. Is there anything else I can try?
Which firmware is currently installed?
Is the iPad jailbroken? If so, do you have any update protecting tweaks installed (No PLS Recovery, or the like)?

pollybrowne

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
Which firmware is currently installed?
Is the iPad jailbroken? If so, do you have any update protecting tweaks installed (No PLS Recovery, or the like)?

IT's currently on 8.1 firmware. Yes it's jailbroken--that's why I'm going these lengths to try to upgrade to 8.4 because honestly I'd rather have a JB iPad on 8.1 than an iPad on 8.4.1.

What are the names of the protecting tweaks I should look for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.