Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
33 Days To The 2007 SteveNote

And what if I buy a macpro now ? I was waiting for the clovertown macpros but now I wonder. I don't want to wait till march, if it's january that's ok for me but not later.I am a logic pro user, not photoshop and logic is already in UB...It's the eternal hesitation of the man who don't want to buy a "new" thing if there's an update the day after ! This is so boring Apple never announce any product release.
This is now a particularly bad time to buy because MacWorld Expo is only one month off and Leopard is only about 90-120 days off. Depends what you have to some extent. But I never buy anything Apple in December due to surprise announcements in January. One exception this year would be the iPod Shuffle. It's a winner and will not be changing any time soon.

NOTE: New Member PMG5Quad Sig:
Soon we will all look back & say who cares what is next? :p

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
waiting waiting waiting....I'm just hoping it's before NAB, I'd rather not wait that long and by the they're gonna be looking pretty damn long in the tooth.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
130 Days to NAB Final Cut 6 Debut • Countdown Is To Monday April 16

waiting waiting waiting....I'm just hoping it's before NAB, I'd rather not wait that long and by the they're gonna be looking pretty damn long in the tooth.
In case someone forgot, December 20 is the postmark deadline for the Final Cut Studio Upgrade for $199 or less offer. NAB Expo opens Monday April 16 - little more than 4 months from now. So I'm thinking that by then Leopard will have shipped along with a Stoakley-Seaburg Dual Clovertown Mac Pro ready for Final Cut Studio 6. But it's not out of the question for all of that to premiere at NAB although a new OS would normally debut on it's own Friday afternoon. I would think Apple will have stuff in Leopard that will help both the 8 core Mac Pro as well as Final Cut Studio 6 so we can get a serious quantum leap in performance and features with the whole shebang.

kfleung

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2006
I've got my Mac Pro today!

I have also been waiting for the so called 8-ore Mac Pro for months ........ but according to the recent threads here. I decided to order my Mac Pro and have got it today instead of further uncertainties.

It's my first Mac! Great looking and smooth running for my digital photo workflow. I would recommend this Mac Pro to anyone who want and need a Quadcore Intel Woodcrest to get their work done fast ........ there will always be always better machines tomorrow. I guess the Intel Woodcrest has already demonstrated it's adequate processing power and system reliability with the Mac Pro for the past few months.

My only two complaints are first, the ATI-X1900 display card gets very hot easily and second, the Mac Pro is a RAM Sucker! :)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Just Ordered The New ATI Radeon X1900 GT G5 Mac Edition PCIe Dual Dual Link Card

I have also been waiting for the so called 8-ore Mac Pro for months ........ but according to the recent threads here. I decided to order my Mac Pro and have got it today instead of further uncertainties.

It's my first Mac! Great looking and smooth running for my digital photo workflow. I would recommend this Mac Pro to anyone who want and need a Quadcore Intel Woodcrest to get their work done fast ........ there will always be always better machines tomorrow. I guess the Intel Woodcrest has already demonstrated it's adequate processing power and system reliability with the Mac Pro for the past few months.

My only two complaints are first, the ATI-X1900 display card gets very hot easily and second, the Mac Pro is a RAM Sucker! :)
Congrats! I'm sure it'll serve you well.

You might want to try this ARCTIC COOLING Accelero X2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing VGA Cooling Fan with Heatsink fan upgrade to make it both cooler and quieter. Here is the order page only $20.99 at NewEgg.com.

I just pulled the trigger on the new ATI X1900 GT PCI Express G5 Edition of that card. Only has 256MB GDDR3 memory vs. 512MB in the Mac Pro version. And it runs a little slower - it's the bottom of the line Radeon X1900 processor 575MHz vs 625MHz in Mac Pro's X1900 XT Processor. But it also has a S-Video and Composite video out port the Mac Pro version does not. We can get $50 back for sending in any old video card after we get it. Net cost $346 including 8% CA sales tax and shipping. Hoping it can push HD pixels better than the NVIDEA GeForce 6600 card that the stock Quad G5 ships with. And I know it will support my 24" Dell's Rotation. Since I'm not a gamer, I doubt I will ever be able to tell the difference.

I'm fixin' to hook it up to a 1920 x 1080 HDTV from one of its ports with a DVI to HDMI cable. Still haven't figured out which HDTV yet. Leaning toward Amazon's 40" Samsung LN-S4095D Listing which is lowest priced, smallest and lightest of all the CCFL 1920x1080 models I've found, approaching $1800 from Amazon including free shipping. Weighs only 54 pounds. Amazingly light. 39" x 28" x 13" is not much bigger than other bulkier 32" models.

One thing I really like about the Samsung LN-S4095D is that you can do true PIP with it and swap sound from main to the smaller PIP image as well like Sony has always had for years. None of the Sony HDTVs even have PIP in them now. So with Samsung you can PIP an EyeTV live or pre-recorded feed as your second tuner. Far as I know no HDTVs have two tuners inside yet. So the Samsung with PIP for external inputs is the only brand I know can deliver two tuners with EyeTV coming in from your Mac on the HDMI port in PIP mode. One very minor downside is no EDGE Color Control in their digital closed captioning system.

Anyone found or have anything else they like better? Is there such a thing as a 32" 1920 x 1080 HDTV? I haven't found one yet if there is.

Wonder if Dell will sell the HP 30" as well as its own new CCFL 30". Gotta have those three DVI inputs.

Attachments

• ArticAcceleroX2coolingFan.jpg
    ArticAcceleroX2coolingFan.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 113
  • ArticAcceleroX2BOTTOM.jpg
    ArticAcceleroX2BOTTOM.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 121
  • ArticAcceleroX2Package.jpg
    ArticAcceleroX2Package.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 109
  • ArticAcceleroX2Connectors.jpg
    ArticAcceleroX2Connectors.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 99

charkshark

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
This is now a particularly bad time to buy because MacWorld Expo is only one month off and Leopard is only about 90-120 days off. Depends what you have to some extent. But I never buy anything Apple in December due to surprise announcements in January. One exception this year would be the iPod Shuffle. It's a winner and will not be changing any time soon.

I'd definitely wait, macworld's only a few weeks away. I wish I could afford a mac pro.....don't really need one though.

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
...snip...

Can you give a little more detail on your statement above?

kfleung

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2006
moe details

Can you give a little more detail on your statement above?

First thing first, thx Multimedia for his tips but as I've just got the full three year warranty, I won't try to void it right now...... perhaps later :D

Details of my two complaints:
1. The ATI-X1900 display card get very hot - my workstation home is a bit odd so that I've the rear side of the machine facing my legs. I can feel three streams of hot air blowing on to my legs (not bad at winter days), the power supply fan at the top, the display card exhaust in the middle and the main system fan at the bottom. The display card exhaust is of relatively hot, very hot indeed. Even the DVI cable plugs/cables get hot at the dispaly card end. I'm not sure whether this is normal or ........ but the Mac goes on without hang and I have the three years extended warranty, I don't really care..... or should I?

2. The RAM, as Apple sells the FB-SIMM ECC at skyhigh price tag, I'd just ordered the standard package 1G (2X512 RAM stick) RAM. I have ordered another 4G RAM (4x1G stick) from Kingston but as these Apple RAM are not everyday selling items, it will take 2 weeks for the Kingston dealer to get it deliver here in Hong Kong (the price is about 65% of Apple's original RAM, similar to prices in USA but to avoid unnecessary complication in case I need to repalce/exchange support for these RAM due to compatablity issue - well known). The present 1G RAM renders the MAc Pro running slow and I need to wait a while for my Canon 16.7M RAW files to convert and regen on the screen. I'm confident when the 4G RAM arrives, the wait would be over. Sure 8G RAM or more would be even better but that costs another Mac Pro.

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Mac Pro Drive Sleds - My Update

I had been wondering about how to get extra drive sleds - hard drive carriers - for my MacPro so that I could just pop them in and out. I do a lot of video and audio work and back stuff up a lot, so it makes sense for me to have many drives around and it saves much time to have them all mounted to their own carriers, just like in my Promax unit.

So, some guy at maxupgrades.com emailed me after seeing my posts here, said they were working on them, would be ready soon, etc. We had a few emails back and forth and it seemed promising. He even sent me photos of prototypes - which he swore me not to release and which I did not - and he said I could order them soon.

He stopped responding a couple of weeks ago, though, and emails to their website are not answered, nor are calls to them.

So I called my local Mac dealer. The sales people had no clue, but they sent me to the service parts person, who did have a clue and said he could get them. Not only that, but they had one in stock, which i bought! I ordered three more and am a happy man. They should come in soon. About 33 bucks a pop.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Sleds From Whom?

I had been wondering about how to get extra drive sleds - hard drive carriers - for my MacPro so that I could just pop them in and out. I do a lot of video and audio work and back stuff up a lot, so it makes sense for me to have many drives around and it saves much time to have them all mounted to their own carriers, just like in my Promax unit.

So, some guy at maxupgrades.com emailed me after seeing my posts here, said they were working on them, would be ready soon, etc. We had a few emails back and forth and it seemed promising. He even sent me photos of prototypes - which he swore me not to release and which I did not - and he said I could order them soon.

He stopped responding a couple of weeks ago, though, and emails to their website are not answered, nor are calls to them.

So I called my local Mac dealer. The sales people had no clue, but they sent me to the service parts person, who did have a clue and said he could get them. Not only that, but they had one in stock, which i bought! I ordered three more and am a happy man. They should come in soon. About 33 bucks a pop.
That's wonderful. But you forgot to tell us from whom are the sleds being aquired? Are they from Apple or some third party company? Link to where we can order or phone number of your source parts company please?

EricTheRed71

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2006

We bought 2 more Mac Pros last week (to go with the 2 we already have).
Sure I would have been happier if they were 8-core but the fact of the matter is that we needed them straight away so waiting wasn't an option.

My feeling is that if you can wait up to 120 days for a faster computer then you don't really need a faster computer. In other words, it's a toy for you.
Our Mac Pros were ordered on Tuesday, delivered on Wednesday & by next Tuesday will have paid for themselves.

Btw, both Macs have only booted into OSX once... to upgrade the Firmware. The rest of the time they are running Windows x64 to render in 3dsmax. Absolutely awesome machines.... everyone should get one!

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
That's wonderful. But you forgot to tell us from whom are the sleds being aquired? Are they from Apple or some third party company? Link to where we can order or phone number of your source parts company please?

I did not forget. It was a conscious decision. Much as I love supporting the group, I want to make sure I get mine first without them being inundated.

That being said, I think a day's lead time is enough for my order.

I got it and ordered the future ones from Tekserve, in Manhattan. They are actual Apple sleds and I'm sure any good Mac place can order them. The trick is going to the "service parts" person, not the parts person. I was hoping to post the part number, but they gave it to me in a plastic bag, not a box. When I get the 3 new ones, I will get the parts number and post it.

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Current Mac Pro versus Mac Pro Rev.B

I am not allowed to start a new thread, so I will post her and perhaps someone who can start a new thread will start a new thread for me with the question below and the thread topic above.:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Right after the Mac Pro came out in August, there was a lot of talk in this forum that one should wait for revision B to come out in Jan. of 2007. The reason being is that by then a lot of the problems of a new machine would be taken care in revision B. With enough people saying that, I decided to wait for Rev. B in Jan. of 2007.

The problem is, if you can really call it a problem, I've not heard of anyone complaining about the Mac Pro and things that are not quite right and need to be fixed in rev. B. Does anyone know of any kinks that need to be worked out in rev. B for the Mac Pro?

kfleung

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2006
High Grade Server/Workstation configuration!

I am not allowed to start a new thread, so I will post her and perhaps someone who can start a new thread will start a new thread for me with the question below and the thread topic above.:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Right after the Mac Pro came out in August, there was a lot of talk in this forum that one should wait for revision B to come out in Jan. of 2007. The reason being is that by then a lot of the problems of a new machine would be taken care in revision B. With enough people saying that, I decided to wait for Rev. B in Jan. of 2007.

The problem is, if you can really call it a problem, I've not heard of anyone complaining about the Mac Pro and things that are not quite right and need to be fixed in rev. B. Does anyone know of any kinks that need to be worked out in rev. B for the Mac Pro?

I'm a new kid to Mac, but according to my elementary knowledge on PCs, the current Mac Pro is a high-grade server or workstation hardware configuration, both HP and Dell has workstations and servers basing on the similar configuration. Actually, Mac Pro came along late on this config. If there are problems, then I guess it should be the Mac OS Vs hardware operation rather than any other. My two complaints so far remain:

1. The very hot ATIX1900 Dispaly card and even the cable plug get hot!
2. The Mac Pro requires many G of very expensive RAM.

As far as I learn form this Forum, the future Mac Pro will only get more RAM hungry and possible getting hotter because of more heat generated from the CPUs and the Display Card.

Right now, I'm planning and saving up for the current 30" Mac Cinema Display ...... perhaps it's old and outdated as many of you've indicated but it should remain perfect match to my Mac Pro, at least, no colour calibration required from time to time!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
New HP Has Better Color Gamut + 3 Dual Link DVI Ports

Right now, I'm planning and saving up for the current 30" Mac Cinema Display ...... perhaps it's old and outdated as many of you've indicated but it should remain perfect match to my Mac Pro, at least, no colour calibration required from time to time!
You might want to consider the new 30" HP Cold Cathode Florescent Lamp Display for only $1620 at Tiger Direct.com instead as it has much better color gamut + 3 Dual Link DVI inputs which will save you almost $1,000 for a Dual Link DVI switch you won't have to buy if you ever plan to drive it from more than one computer.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
My Dual Clovertown Mac Is A Toy If I Can Wait For It Rather Than Need Dual Woody Now?

We bought 2 more Mac Pros last week (to go with the 2 we already have).
Sure I would have been happier if they were 8-core but the fact of the matter is that we needed them straight away so waiting wasn't an option.
Congrats.
My feeling is that if you can wait up to 120 days for a faster computer then you don't really need a faster computer. In other words, it's a toy for you.
Or what you have now is fast enough and rather than buy a Dual Woody Mac Pro to realize a marginal increase in speed from Quad G5 to Quad Woodcrest, waiting for Dual Clovertown with Stoakley-Seaburg is worth it so the leap from Quad G5 to 8 core Mac Pro will be more of a giant performance improvement - not because it will be a toy. I fail to understand your toy analogy at all. Seems more like you are bragging about how much money you make running Windoze on Dual Woodcrest Mac Pros than anything else. Just because you know how to make a lot of money with Mac Pros running Windoze does not relegate the rest of us to mere my-Mac-is-my-toy playmates does it?
Our Mac Pros were ordered on Tuesday, delivered on Wednesday & by next Tuesday will have paid for themselves.

Btw, both Macs have only booted into OSX once... to upgrade the Firmware. The rest of the time they are running Windows x64 to render in 3dsmax.
Most of us here are not interested in running Windoze though.
Absolutely awesome machines.... everyone should get one!
It's a matter of opinion and need. I doubt the 4 core Mac Pro would appear "awesome" to me. From where I sit, the Quad G5 is "awesome". But then I don't have any use for Windoze at all.

macmanonline

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
Should I wait? or Shall I not?

I am about to order my first mac! (Mac Pro)

Should I hold off a little longer for the 8-Core? When do you guys think it will be released?

Is there any point? Will I get more 'bang' for my buck?

Cheers.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005

Should I hold off a little longer for the 8-Core? When do you guys think it will be released?

Cheers.

EricTheRed71
made an excellent point earlier in this thread.... if you CAN wait for the Mac Pro, you don't need the Mac Pro. Simple as that. If you don't need it right away to complete a job or increase your productivity, then of course wait for the next release... but then again, why not just wait until the release after that, or the next, or the next...

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
Congrats.Or what you have now is fast enough and rather than buy a Dual Woody Mac Pro to realize a marginal increase in speed from Quad G5 to Quad Woodcrest, waiting for Dual Clovertown with Stoakley-Seaburg is worth it so the leap from Quad G5 to 8 core Mac Pro will be more of a giant performance improvement - not because it will be a toy. I fail to understand your toy analogy at all. Seems more like you are bragging about how much money you make running Windoze on Dual Woodcrest Mac Pros than anything else. Just because you know how to make a lot of money with Mac Pros running Windoze does not relegate the rest of us to mere my-Mac-is-my-toy playmates does it?Most of us here are not interested in running Windoze though.It's a matter of opinion and need. I doubt the 4 core Mac Pro would appear "awesome" to me. From where I sit, the Quad G5 is "awesome". But then I don't have any use for Windoze at all.

I'm with you my friend :)

I don't count my G5 Power Mac or my Mac Mini as a toy and I certainly have no interest in running Windows.
I spent enough years with PC's and Windows to realise what a load of crap they are.

Dave ;)

MrTed

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Paris, France

Cheers.

I decide to buy the macpro today instead of waiting till....spring.
The only thing bothers me is I'd like to be sure this mac will be powerful enough for Leopard and that it will suit my recording studio for at least 2-3 years...
I use logic pro, which is a native recording software solution. By the way I know there was a thread: 2,66 VS 3Ghz Macpro, but can't find it...if you have the link...thx

macmanonline

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
The Mac Pro I am looking to Get!

I am looking to get the 2.6Ghz version with 2gb RAM & a 23inch cinema display!

I can hold off til mid January 2007 for the 8-core! but if the 8-core is 6 months away I see no need in waiting!

I am using a crappy windows laptop at the moment and really need the mac! I have never even used a mac before but I am so sick of windows that I have decided to take the plunge!

Thanks.

EricTheRed71

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2006
Congrats.Or what you have now is fast enough and rather than buy a Dual Woody Mac Pro to realize a marginal increase in speed from Quad G5 to Quad Woodcrest, waiting for Dual Clovertown with Stoakley-Seaburg is worth it so the leap from Quad G5 to 8 core Mac Pro will be more of a giant performance improvement - not because it will be a toy. I fail to understand your toy analogy at all. Seems more like you are bragging about how much money you make running Windoze on Dual Woodcrest Mac Pros than anything else. Just because you know how to make a lot of money with Mac Pros running Windoze does not relegate the rest of us to mere my-Mac-is-my-toy playmates does it?Most of us here are not interested in running Windoze though.It's a matter of opinion and need. I doubt the 4 core Mac Pro would appear "awesome" to me. From where I sit, the Quad G5 is "awesome". But then I don't have any use for Windoze at all.

I think I should clarify what I meant here that caused you to dive off into the deep end....
If you can do without something then you don't need it. It's a luxury, a "nice to have" but not essential.
You can manage just fine with your quad G5 so you don't need a Mac Pro. Fair enough. That also means that you don't need an octo-core Mac though. It may make your work go quicker but as you can get by without it now then you don't actually need one.
This what I meant by the "toy" thing that upset you so much. People will wait to buy this octo-core Mac because they want one not because they need one. For these people it is a toy.
Not everyone is in the same boat though. Some people need a faster computer now so the option of waiting 3 months is not available to them.
Our situation was a little bit more complicated caused by the switch to a 64 bit operating system & 64 bit software. All of a sudden there was a huge hole in our processing power where the 32 bit machines used to be so we needed them now.

One thing that I do find a bit sad though is your need to repeat the word "Windoze". Don't you think it's a bit childish? There's a big wide world outside your "Apple bubble" & believe it or not "Windoze" is used by a huge number of people to be hugely productive. For some things it's actually (gasp) better than using OSX and for some things it's worse.
At the end of the day an operating system is just a tool to access whatever program you need to use at that moment. I really don't get this "fanboy" attitude & I've been a fan of Macs since my first one in 1988!

Anyway, I really don't want to argue with you, each to his own etc etc....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.