Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
your analogy makes no sense - if a computer has more programs running in the background that means the processor will have more work to do - I don't think you understand how computers work

and I would rather a silent computer than a constantly distracting racket - if only the new macbook had some decent power and was able to run logic pro smoothly
Alright, I give up. You either don't understand, or don't want to understand. Go ask a computer engineer or any friend well versed in computers, they'll tell you exactly what everyone's been telling you here.

I'll tell you what you want to hear instead: your computer will enter a meltdown and sound like a jet taking off if you add even one megabyte of RAM more. Having all that extra RAM will make your CPU automagically peg itself at 100% usage at all times. After 2.3250971 minutes, your MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM will become a pool of molten aluminum, silicon and glass.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
more RAM means more programs can run simultaneously which means a greater use of the processor having to run more operations as the same time - pretty obvious
Yes, but what you are saying is incomplete, and you continue to miss one main point.
More RAM allows you to run more apps (and other services) more EFFICIENTLY on your computer. If the CPU spikes a bit, because more things are happening at once, that will quickly subside, because there is MORE RAM available, and the CPU may work slightly harder, but for a shorter overall time - resulting in LESS heat - and that will be "pretty obvious"
Another related point is that the CPU does not have to spend so much time creating swap files, on much slower storage, then retrieving those swap files when needed. That will slow down your Mac dramatically (and cause more heat), when the easy fix is to have more (much faster) RAM installed.
You, my friend, appear to be trying to justify purchasing less RAM, but your technical argument is not valid. (maybe you need to find some friends who have more knowledge and fewer flimsy opinions :D )

Last edited:
Reactions: snaky69

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
your analogy makes no sense - if a computer has more programs running in the background that means the processor will have more work to do - I don't think you understand how computers work

and I would rather a silent computer than a constantly distracting racket - if only the new macbook had some decent power and was able to run logic pro smoothly

LOL. Now you are borderline trolling.

I've got a degree in Computer Science that says I do know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: snaky69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.