Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
A 2010 MBP, shouldn't but can

Had to turn off and turn on BT to get USB dongle to override the internal, but it did

We will be offering this setup shortly, very similar to the USB offering from China but assembled in California.

Will work in any Mac that can run Yosemite

Sweet! So we will have to buy something?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Had to turn off and turn on BT to get USB dongle to override the internal, but it did

We will be offering this setup shortly, very similar to the USB offering from China but assembled in California.

Will work in any Mac that can run Yosemite

Very interested in this for my iMac, using official apple parts should guarantee compatibility, if it works over USB.

Please put me on the list (if you have one) when we can preorder these adapters.

What do you project the total cost to be? Will it be a kit where we need to find our own apple card, or will it be ready to plug in out of the box?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Very interested in this for my iMac, using official apple parts should guarantee compatibility, if it works over USB.

Please put me on the list (if you have one) when we can preorder these adapters.

What do you project the total cost to be? Will it be a kit where we need to find our own apple card, or will it be ready to plug in out of the box?

I think (think) that the way the built-in Bluetooth interfaces with the computer is through a USB-like connectivity (internal) so, I am trying to rebrand a Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle as we speak. Once again, thought, I may be a complete idiot stabbing himself in the hand.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I think (think) that the way the built-in Bluetooth interfaces with the computer is through a USB-like connectivity (internal) so, I am trying to rebrand a Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle as we speak. Once again, thought, I may be a complete idiot stabbing himself in the hand.

If I understand, you basically are flashing a new vender id and other software onto an off the shelf bluetooth dongle to mirror an official apple part, correct?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
If I understand, you basically are flashing a new vender id and other software onto an off the shelf bluetooth dongle to mirror an official apple part, correct?

Yes, whats nice is this is a Broadcom USB dongle similar to ones in modern MBPs.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Yes, whats nice is this is a Broadcom USB dongle similar to ones in modern MBPs.

Great. I purchased a $13 iogear gbu521 hoping it would be a simple plug and play, before I found out otherwise. If it is another usb dongle, I am not out much money.

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Great. I purchased a $13 iogear gbu521 hoping it would be a simple plug and play, before I found out otherwise. If it is another usb dongle, I am not out much money.

I think thats the one I got! I got the Continuity notification, but it still hasn't shown up for me, yet.
Now, we cannot use kexts, just figured that out. We need to flash a new v/p id or update the hardware. Lets see what MacVidCards has.

Last edited:

MacProSector

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Urbana, IL
First, I wanted to thank you for an amazing job in modifying this card for your Mac Pro.

I am interested in the USB dongle solution listed for an 2011 iMac. (I don't want to crack open the iMac for an internal solution, if it is even possible.)

Of course I can't read Chinese, so i was unable to determine the approximate US price (with shipping) or if it is working for other iMac users. Is there a US importer of this product? What is the approximate price, and does it include the apple card as well?

Thanks!

Thanks for reading my article! You are welcome!

Actually the seller of the iMac card and convert card do speak English and accept Paypal! In addition, he could also ship directly to US! I had put his email address in the first post. You guys could try contacting him if you want!

MacProSector

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Urbana, IL
Very interested in this for my iMac.

using official apple parts should guarantee compatibility.

if it works over USB.

Exactly!

MacProSector

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Urbana, IL
I just updated the Article's structures, adding a new "News & Updates" section. So I could gather and post the new information and new plans. By far, we got two new plans. Thank you for reading the article!:D:D:apple::apple:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Let me get this straight, do we need a new airport card too? Or can we use our default one. I have a 2011 MBP that if just like to get a supported Bluetooth dongle.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Let me get this straight, do we need a new airport card too? Or can we use our default one. I have a 2011 MBP that if just like to get a supported Bluetooth dongle.

I don't know for sure, I would guess further testing is required. My (I'll admit limited) understanding is that some of the features like airdrop need a direct wifi connection between the ios device and the Mac, which may or may not be supported depending on the wifi device in the Mac.

(As an aside, that is why the ipad 3 won't do airdrop, while the almost identical ipad 4 will, the wifi chip in the ipad 4 was updated.)

My guess (and just an educated guess) is if your Mac supports air drop in mavericks without a hack, it already has the capability to switch to direct wifi when needed. Testing will need to prove this however.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I don't know for sure, I would guess further testing is required. My (I'll admit limited) understanding is that some of the features like airdrop need a direct wifi connection between the ios device and the Mac, which may or may not be supported depending on the wifi device in the Mac.

(As an aside, that is why the ipad 3 won't do airdrop, while the almost identical ipad 4 will, the wifi chip in the ipad 4 was updated.)

My guess (and just an educated guess) is if your Mac supports air drop in mavericks without a hack, it already has the capability to switch to direct wifi when needed. Testing will need to prove this however.
Good point. My MacBook does support airdrop natively, now we just need to wait for MacVidcards to share his wisdom.

Right now, I am fiddling with kexts to see if I can get a similar dongle working. The VID/PID are soooo close to the one on taobao. Really, we just need to hear back from MacVidCards, because I really want to see what he has done.

Last edited:

MacProSector

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Urbana, IL
Good point. My MacBook does support airdrop natively, now we just need to wait for MacVidcards to share his wisdom.

Right now, I am fiddling with kexts to see if I can get a similar dongle working. The VID/PID are soooo close to the one on taobao. Really, we just need to hear back from MacVidCards, because I really want to see what he has done.

Just good luck to you man! Tell me if you are succeeded!:D:D:):)

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Just good luck to you man! Tell me if you are succeeded!:D:D:):)

Do you happen to know if the conversion card is an M.2 to mpcie? The size is hard to tell from pictures. I have a 08 MP and have a 2013MBP airport card but need that conversion card. from my understanding you don't need to solder with the 08s because they ran usb power natively. Thanks for any help

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
great write up this is looking really positive for people with MP pre 2013. Really like the look of what you did there and might give it a go as its an internal solution, clean with genuine apple parts so 'should' give greater compatibility. would prefer to keep things neat...

Time to start looking on eBay... :)

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Do you happen to know if the conversion card is an M.2 to mpcie? The size is hard to tell from pictures. I have a 08 MP and have a 2013MBP airport card but need that conversion card. from my understanding you don't need to solder with the 08s because they ran usb power natively. Thanks for any help

Yeah, you don't need to run the USB power, but it should properly. If not, get the PCI-e card.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I feel like you and I are learning this together hah. Every thread on this one of us answers the others question.

Definitely, but man, I like my current dongle (small :D) I really want to figure out what determines OS X using a Dongle for Continuity and Handoff.
Also, I wrote a guide on my website (with his permission) just to clean it up a bit, along with some clearer instructions (I hope) http://www.keatonburleson.com/apple/continuity-handoff-with-802-11ac-bt-4-0-on-pre-2013-mac-pros-and-others/

Last edited:

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Definitely, but man, I like my current dongle (small :D) I really want to figure out what determines OS X using a Dongle for Continuity and Handoff.
I know you do, I've been looking and haven't found anything yet for you. Hopefully by launch they will make dongles work. I think first priority was built in maybe down the line they will add more support. Personally I want mine all internal but if I find anything ill let you know(to be fair we will probably both be on the same page if I do).

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I know you do, I've been looking and haven't found anything yet for you. Hopefully by launch they will make dongles work. I think first priority was built in maybe down the line they will add more support. Personally I want mine all internal but if I find anything ill let you know(to be fair we will probably both be on the same page if I do).

The big problem is, all of the ones that don't support Continuity and Handoff, don't have Bluetooth 4.0 chips, which is required due to the improvements of energy usage(and other stuff). I cannot find anything relating to determining what flies and what doesn't. Frustrating.

Last edited:

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
The big problem is, all of the ones that don't support Continuity and Handoff, don't have Bluetooth 4.0 chips, which is required due to the improvements of energy usage(and other stuff).
Thats why I think realistically its easiest just to open your macbook pro, throw in the chip from a 2011 macbook air and call it a day.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Thats why I think realistically its easiest just to open your macbook pro, throw in the chip from a 2011 macbook air and call it a day.

Yeah, but lè money.
EDIT: So this guy:
Profiler defines support AirDrop and Continuity via USB identifiers.
If you can not find native BT 4.0 module from Apple - writes NO.

For third-party bluetooth modules inscription NO - not blocking work AirDrop and Continuity!

Any USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter - support AirDrop and Continuity! Look at the profiler is not necessary!

I checked for USB BT 4.0 GMYLE (broadcom chip) and USB BT 4.0 noname (CSR chip) - all successfully works!

All problems with AirDrop and Continuity - associated with the driver Wi-Fi.
At the moment, there are a lot of locks due to regional settings and models of Wi-Fi adapters ...

skvo - it's me.

I have two hackintosh laptops:
with Broadcom BCM94352HMB (combo Wi-Fi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0)
and Broadcom BCM94322HM8L (Wi-Fi 802.11n) + USB Bluetooth 4.0 (csr)

In both cases, for AirDrop and Continuity had to patch the driver AirPortBrcm4360.kext ...

Screenshots:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.