Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
I've maxed mine out at 16gb as I plan on doing a lot of work studying to gain some Microsoft qualifications so need as much ram as possible for a multitude of VM's which I will be running.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can the RAM not be upgraded in these models?
To which models are you referring? RAM cannot be upgraded in MacBook Airs or the MacBook Pro with retina display. It can be upgraded in all other MacBook Pros.

rex3

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
The most memory-intensive thing I will be doing will be working with 18mp RAW files in Aperture. No virtual machines or coding or games.

Will there be any benefit to 16 gigs for me, other than "future proofing"--as if such a thing were possible?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The most memory-intensive thing I will be doing will be working with 18mp RAW files in Aperture. No virtual machines or coding or games.

Will there be any benefit to 16 gigs for me, other than "future proofing"--as if such a thing were possible?
I'd be amazed if you ever needed more than 8GB, for the needs you describe.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Does anybody know what the different RAM allotments in Activity Monitor are? I'm currently showing 4.09 GB active, 776.6 MB Inactive, 854 MB Wired, and 2-3 GB free. This is under very light use, only a few Safari windows and Skype open...

Sounds like I should have gotten the 16 GB version...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does anybody know what the different RAM allotments in Activity Monitor are? I'm currently showing 4.09 GB active, 776.6 MB Inactive, 854 MB Wired, and 2-3 GB free. This is under very light use, only a few Safari windows and Skype open...
Read the 2nd post of this thread, including the link.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA

I've been working with 6mp RAW files in Aperture all morning, and haven't seen it use more than 1.98GB of RAM.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Read the 2nd post of this thread, including the link.

Thanks. Seems like I need to upgrade to a 16 GB machine, as the free memory goes to zero with Safari (3 tabs open) and Mail and Aperture open... This is on a 8 GB Retina Pro.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks. Seems like I need to upgrade to a 16 GB machine, as the free memory goes to zero with Safari (3 tabs open) and Mail and Aperture open... This is on a 8 GB Retina Pro.

What page outs do you have? It's not just about free memory.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I've been working with 6mp RAW files in Aperture all morning, and haven't seen it use more than 1.98GB of RAM.

The difference in processing power between a 6MP raw file and an 18MP raw file is exponential!

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I'm going to 16GB on my MBP. When I order it from New Egg they offered me Parallels for $49.99 and a free HDMI cable.

All total it was $149.98 for 16GB of RAM, Parallels for Mac (Parallels cost $79.99), and a HDMI cable. At that price how could you go wrong? I also purchased a Seagate Momentus XT 750 too. Going to upgrade it all at once.

BTW as far as I know there is no downside to upgrading RAM in a computer. My opinion is to buy it now while its cheap. In a couple years from now when you may need it, it will be a LOT more expensive. No downside buy it while its cheap. That said there are downsides to NOT buying it.

The crazy thing about it is that for what the MBP cost it should have come with 16GB of RAM and a better HDD.

Last edited:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
BTW as far as I know there is no downside to upgrading RAM in a computer.

Well, there are some.

One being, extra modules mean more heat and the additional energy needed to power them.

Another being, if the number of modules are doubled, so are the chances of failure.

But nothing that should prevent most people from spending $200.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Well, there are some.

One being, extra modules mean more heat and the additional energy needed to power them.

Another being, if the number of modules are doubled, so are the chances of failure.

But nothing that should prevent most people from spending $200.

I believe and I may be mistaken my MBP had 2 - 2GB chips from the factory. I know what your saying though, it would be a lot more capacitors that could go bad.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
I am all for 16GB as you know with the Retina Mac Book Pro's they can not be upgraded! Only the Flash Storage/SSD can be. Get the top notch for only a few hundred dollars more. The 16GB of memory will be good for 5-6years of use. Maybe even more.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Does anyone know if a non retina 13 inch macbook pro will be upgradeable to 16gb of ram?

Im buying one next week, and If i stick the ram in myself could afford 16gb, or getting apple to do it i could afford 8 gb.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
Does anyone know if a non retina 13 inch macbook pro will be upgradeable to 16gb of ram?

Im buying one next week, and If i stick the ram in myself could afford 16gb, or getting apple to do it i could afford 8 gb.

Can't see any reason why not as they use the same base chipset (ivy bridge)

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Get the top notch for only a few hundred dollars more. The 16GB of memory will be good for 5-6years of use. Maybe even more.

Both models will be equally non-useful by then.

When Apple kills support for macs under OS X they do so by model year, and not by BTO options.

It's really a case of what meets your needs now, and not worrying so much about 5, 6, or 7 years down the road. At that time, a $500 computer is likely to outperform today's high-end MBP.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Both models will be equally non-useful by then.

When Apple kills support for macs under OS X they do so by model year, and not by BTO options.

It's really a case of what meets your needs now, and not worrying so much about 5, 6, or 7 years down the road. At that time, a $500 computer is likely to outperform today's high-end MBP.

Interesting. In 2018, I still expect my 2012 laptop to still meet my needs. I have twice held on to computers between 5-8 years. At 8 years old, the computer really started to show it's age and required a full hardware/platform purchase. In those 8 years though, the only upgrades I made to them were RAM and HD space.

Anyways, my point is that I plan to hold on to my next purchase for at leat 5 years or more (fingers crossed). In past experience, I've only ever had to upgrade RAM or HD space to keep the machine usable. Since the RAM is not upgradeable in this model, I am going to upgrade it to maximum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.