A bit teary over selling my G4 PM

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by leekohler, Jun 3, 2006.

1. macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, after buying a dual-core G5 last month, I finally found a buyer for my G4 Sawtooth. I owned the computer for close to 6 years and it served me very well. There is almost nothing original inside the machine anymore having upgraded the processor, video card and RAM. Over the years it went from being a 350 Mhz G4 with a 16 Mb video card and 256 Mb RAM to a 1 Ghz G4 with an ATI Radeon 64 Mb and 1.75 Gb RAM. She's still a great computer and I'm gonna miss her a lot.

A friend from work is buying her for $550. I'm glad she'll have a good home, I trust the person buying her to take good care. Nonetheless, I got teary tonight packing her up. As many of you know, I credit these machines with getting me into an advertising career and changing my life for the better. They made me passionate about computers, when before I hated them. So cheers to my G4 Sawtooth, you served me well. Goodbye and thank you.

2. macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but that's just a little weird.... It's just a computer.

3. macrumors newbie

I with ya. I recently purchased a PM G5, but don't have the heart to sell my iMac G4. I just love the look of my "iLamp" :D . Besides.. nothin' wrong with having 2 Macs in the house is there?

4. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha-ha! Yes, I know! But if you're someone who came from no money and had no direction, it means a bit more. ;) I was homeless a few times, I guess it's just all perspective.

5. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Same here with certain PCs and Macs that have served me well.

Also, they mean a lot more if you have to save up for them in the first place.

6. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No! I also have an iBook. 3 computers were just too much. ;)

7. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I had to go into debt for my first, and I'm in debt for the G5, so I hear you! :)

8. macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I sold my broken tangerinE iBook to somebody for parts. It got a good home, but I was sad. It is only an object, but like a good car, or Swiss Army knife, or beloved book or tool, there is some attachment. My use of the computer was attached to a lot of memories, including the start and end of a long term relationship, a bad bicycle accident, and a bit of my education.

9. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, exactly. This one saw me through the same, minus the bike accident. :)

10. Moderator emeritus

sushi

BTW, I still have my HP-71 system (about 1985) and my PowerBook 170 (about 1993). I doubt that I will ever be able to toss these two items.

11. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's cool! I know I'll have a tough time selling my iBook when the time comes. It's my first laptop. A friend of mine has also said he'll never sell his iBook either. He'll just keep it for storage.

12. macrumors 68020

I felt the same way after selling my modded G4 667. You spend all that time with it, it's a very personal attachment.

13. macrumors 604

clayj

14. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

lol you so cRaZy Clayj

15. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good video.

BTW, I was about ready to go grab it! :eek:

I think we get attached to items because of the time spend with them and experiences that we remember.

16. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly! That video was good, BUT- you do get attached, especially if things and money were hard to come by in your life.

17. macrumors 604

clayj

I do know what you mean.

Maybe you should get someone to take a picture of you with the computer. (Seriously.) If it means that much to you, take a picture and make sure it becomes a permanent part of your data backups... that way you'll still always "have it" with you.

18. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ugh...the very first time my fiancée and I saw that ad on TV, she turned to look at me, and it was apparently quite obvious that I really was feeling sorry for the lamp. She's never let me forget it...

19. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Very good idea. But she's already packed up. :( Maybe I can do it at my friend's place tomorrow when I deliver and set it up. This will be his first Mac, BTW, and he's very excited about it. :)

20. macrumors 603

netdog

'Tis better to give.

21. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. My favorite thing he asked- "do you really not need Norton Anti-Virus?" Ha-ha! :)

22. macrumors regular

i feel your sense of loss... i had a hard enough time parting with my powerbook for a mere four days while it was off at applecare. and i can't even conceive of what it would feel like to be rid of it completely. something tells me i just might never part with this machine.

EMOTIONS ASIDE, how many pc owners do you know who have an actual 'attachment' to their machines? i mean, how could you?? it would have to be a very abusive relationship...

23. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not many. Most of the ones I've known throw them out or retire them to a closet somewhere.

24. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hey, when I build them, I have an attachment because something of me is part of them.

I think this is true of anything one makes with their own hands, time and effort.

25. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Don't forget the amount of money you have to put into the machine and have to realize that your machine isn't NEW and SHINY anymore. :(