Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Well, after buying a dual-core G5 last month, I finally found a buyer for my G4 Sawtooth. I owned the computer for close to 6 years and it served me very well. There is almost nothing original inside the machine anymore having upgraded the processor, video card and RAM. Over the years it went from being a 350 Mhz G4 with a 16 Mb video card and 256 Mb RAM to a 1 Ghz G4 with an ATI Radeon 64 Mb and 1.75 Gb RAM. She's still a great computer and I'm gonna miss her a lot.

A friend from work is buying her for $550. I'm glad she'll have a good home, I trust the person buying her to take good care. Nonetheless, I got teary tonight packing her up. As many of you know, I credit these machines with getting me into an advertising career and changing my life for the better. They made me passionate about computers, when before I hated them. So cheers to my G4 Sawtooth, you served me well. Goodbye and thank you.

Xcaliber

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2006
I with ya. I recently purchased a PM G5, but don't have the heart to sell my iMac G4. I just love the look of my "iLamp" :D . Besides.. nothin' wrong with having 2 Macs in the house is there?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
dylan said:
I'm sorry but that's just a little weird.... It's just a computer.

Ha-ha! Yes, I know! But if you're someone who came from no money and had no direction, it means a bit more. ;) I was homeless a few times, I guess it's just all perspective.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
leekohler said:
Well, anybody else have trouble parting with their old Macs?
Same here with certain PCs and Macs that have served me well.

Also, they mean a lot more if you have to save up for them in the first place.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Xcaliber said:
I with ya. I recently purchased a PM G5, but don't have the heart to sell my iMac G4. I just love the look of my "iLamp" :D . Besides.. nothin' wrong with having 2 Macs in the house is there?

No! I also have an iBook. 3 computers were just too much. ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
sushi said:
Same here with certain PCs and Macs that have served me well.

Also, they mean a lot more if you have to save up for them in the first place.

I had to go into debt for my first, and I'm in debt for the G5, so I hear you! :)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I sold my broken tangerinE iBook to somebody for parts. It got a good home, but I was sad. It is only an object, but like a good car, or Swiss Army knife, or beloved book or tool, there is some attachment. My use of the computer was attached to a lot of memories, including the start and end of a long term relationship, a bad bicycle accident, and a bit of my education.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Eniregnat said:
I sold my broken tangerinE iBook to somebody for parts. It got a good home, but I was sad. It is only an object, but like a good car, or Swiss Army knife, or beloved book or tool, there is some attachment. My use of the computer was attached to a lot of memories, including the start and end of a long term relationship, a bad bicycle accident, and a bit of my education.

Yeah, exactly. This one saw me through the same, minus the bike accident. :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
leekohler said:
I had to go into debt for my first, and I'm in debt for the G5, so I hear you! :)
BTW, I still have my HP-71 system (about 1985) and my PowerBook 170 (about 1993). I doubt that I will ever be able to toss these two items.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
sushi said:
BTW, I still have my HP-71 system (about 1985) and my PowerBook 170 (about 1993). I doubt that I will ever be able to toss these two items.

That's cool! I know I'll have a tough time selling my iBook when the time comes. It's my first laptop. A friend of mine has also said he'll never sell his iBook either. He'll just keep it for storage.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I felt the same way after selling my modded G4 667. You spend all that time with it, it's a very personal attachment.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
sushi said:
Good video.

BTW, I was about ready to go grab it! :eek:

I think we get attached to items because of the time spend with them and experiences that we remember.

Exactly! That video was good, BUT- you do get attached, especially if things and money were hard to come by in your life.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
leekohler said:
Exactly! That video was good, BUT- you do get attached, especially if things and money were hard to come by in your life.
I do know what you mean.

Maybe you should get someone to take a picture of you with the computer. (Seriously.) If it means that much to you, take a picture and make sure it becomes a permanent part of your data backups... that way you'll still always "have it" with you.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
clayj said:
I do know what you mean.

Maybe you should get someone to take a picture of you with the computer. (Seriously.) If it means that much to you, take a picture and make sure it becomes a permanent part of your data backups... that way you'll still always "have it" with you.

Very good idea. But she's already packed up. :( Maybe I can do it at my friend's place tomorrow when I deliver and set it up. This will be his first Mac, BTW, and he's very excited about it. :)

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
leekohler said:
Very good idea. But she's already packed up. :( Maybe I can do it at my friend's place tomorrow when I deliver and set it up. This will be his first Mac, BTW, and he's very excited about it. :)

'Tis better to give.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
i feel your sense of loss... i had a hard enough time parting with my powerbook for a mere four days while it was off at applecare. and i can't even conceive of what it would feel like to be rid of it completely. something tells me i just might never part with this machine.

EMOTIONS ASIDE, how many pc owners do you know who have an actual 'attachment' to their machines? i mean, how could you?? it would have to be a very abusive relationship...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
exeterbohemian said:
i feel your sense of loss... i had a hard enough time parting with my powerbook for a mere four days while it was off at applecare. and i can't even conceive of what it would feel like to be rid of it completely. something tells me i just might never part with this machine.

EMOTIONS ASIDE, how many pc owners do you know who have an actual 'attachment' to their machines? i mean, how could you?? it would have to be a very abusive relationship...

Not many. Most of the ones I've known throw them out or retire them to a closet somewhere.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
exeterbohemian said:
Hey, when I build them, I have an attachment because something of me is part of them.

I think this is true of anything one makes with their own hands, time and effort.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
sushi said:
Hey, when I build them, I have an attachment because something of me is part of them.

I think this is true of anything one makes with their own hands, time and effort.

Don't forget the amount of money you have to put into the machine and have to realize that your machine isn't NEW and SHINY anymore. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.