Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Would look better if it didn't have the black space on the back where the camera actually goes.

That's for the Wifi antenna and is the same as in the other current models.

This looks to me like -- remove the camera and improve the display (IPS instead of TN) and raise the price 15% from the now-discontinued 4th-gen models.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
I am confused about the intention behind releasing this model - now. WWDC is planned in around 10 days. And rumors say, new iPhone will be coming with fingerprint sensors and this also means, iOS7 will also support it. Usually releases of iPhone and iPod touch are kept together as they resemble in terms of basic iOS functionality.

If they are really releasing fingerprint sensors in new iPhone, then New iPod Touch with fingerprint sensors will be released. Then this is already obsolete.

Or maybe they are not going to release new iPhone with rumored features.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This should have been the iPhone... It looks like a modern, refined version of the original iPhone.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I loved the first gen and this is such a nice design.
I think the purpose of the video was to show off the focus control of his video camera.

Absolutely! It was twice as long as it needed to be simply to show how incredible the focus was on the camera which is impressive and still pointless. :D

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Issue is battery, a phone needs lots more of it...

Obviously without sacrificing battery life or anything else, which I don't think Apple would do.

It's just every time there's an iPhone re-design that's thinner there's always a barrage of comments that say it's thin enough already.

It can get awkward to hold the thinner it becomes. However so many have cases that it can afford to be thinner. Still on the iPhone 4S which is not that thick until I put my case in it.

True, but it's also relative to the weight. I have an iPod Touch 5th gen and believe me it's a joy to hold and use, with or without a case.

Even with a rubber case on it's marginally thinner than the iPhone 5.

Tutac

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
If Apple makes a cheaper version of iPhone and makes it look like this (curved back without glass) I would buy it instantly.

Thin, non cluncky, perfect for a student like me. (considering a switch from android)

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Issue is battery, a phone needs lots more of it...

There are ways to keep the iphone this thin, while being effective and still have more than enough battery life. It will be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
So this marks the end of Apple devices with the shiny chrome backs (except for the classic). Thank god.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
And the prize for the most boring video of the day goes to...

It's as first look video. It's about showing off the looks of the device. I thought they did a great job.

Were you expecting the touch to be tossed through some flaming hoops or something. :D

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I see multiple differences and reasoning behind this new model iPod:-

1. Close to WWDC, and the previous generation would not be able to handle iOS 7 due to its slower hardware, the screen was smaller, and was not an IPS display. Now this new iPod touch has the same iPhone 5 / iPod touch screen as the current generations, and the same hardware as the current iPod touch range with the rear camera.

2. Camera on rear was removed to make it cheaper, and possibly thinner and lighter. This also fills the game as the 4th generation of iPod with the chrome back is not longer available. The pop up strap hook has also been removed as well.

3. Notice on the this new iPod touch the power button and volume buttons on the side are now black, instead of silver on the current model iPod touch with rear camera. This breaks up all the silver especially along the metal frame around it - I like this.

4. The Apple Logo on the back appears to be Black as well, no more shiny mirror surface for the logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.