Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honkersale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
i am graduating high-school soon and i dont know exactly how to start making moves. i am very interested in a career in apple computers. either the company itself or working at a school or business supervising a mac server or something. computers specifically apple computers are what i know and is all i could really see myself doing. i was wondering if anyone has any information regarding where to start training. schools to go to, schools not to go to, certs to get etc. any information would help thanks.

also any one attend or have experiences with itt tech i would like to hear it. they are calling me every god damn day i dont really trust them to tell you the truth. especially cause you cant transfer there credits anywhere.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
It's probably not a good idea to tie your career to Apple or any other single company. There's nothing guaranteeing they'll be around in 10 years, let alone 30 (note: I'm not saying Apple's going out of business, just that it's within the realm of possibility). If I were you, I'd look at getting an education in a much more general computer-related field. Keep your Mac-knowledge up and you can probably get a job doing the kind of thing you want, but if that dries up you'll have something to fall back on.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
also any one attend or have experiences with itt tech i would like to hear it. they are calling me every god damn day i dont really trust them to tell you the truth. especially cause you cant transfer there credits anywhere.

A friend of mine's brother works for a small ISP in the human resources department and says they won't even look at a resume with "ITT Tech" listed on it.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
it's cool to love apple and all, but don't pin your hopes and dreams on working there. Their are a high end company that probably gets 1000 resumes for every open position.

Also your declaration of "I'd like to work with computers" doesn't really say anything. Why not head down to the learning annex and "learn computers". Apple doesn't need people to work with computers, they need people with specific skills and training.

I'm not trying to be negative, but from what you've provided here working at apple is nothing more than a pipe dream with the possible exception of working in a retail location.

McT

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
i am graduating high-school soon and i dont know exactly how to start making moves. i am very interested in a career in apple computers. either the company itself or working at a school or business supervising a mac server or something. computers specifically apple computers are what i know and is all i could really see myself doing. i was wondering if anyone has any information regarding where to start training. schools to go to, schools not to go to, certs to get etc. any information would help thanks.

Damn everyone stop being so negative! The kid wants to work at Apple!!!
honker, you should NOT EVER CONSIDER going to ITT Tech if you want to work at Apple.

You should go to a respected University and major in one of the following:
- Computer science
- Computer engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Systems programming
- other stuff like this

In addition, join the Apple club on your campus, the programmers club, the engineering club and meet and remember and talk to as many people as you can. Making friends and using them to help you get loans, haircuts, cars, jewelry, stock tips, golf pointers and yes, even jobs at Apple is what life is all about; networking...

Visit http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/pro/college/scenes.html
to read about College grads who have joined Apple. Can't do that if you go to ITT Tech though, they might let you guard the parking lot...

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD

If you are interested in working on Apple servers, you may want to learn Unix and Linux inside and out. These skills will give you job security and a good salary and will also help you to understand the Apple platform. I can't speak for all companies, but many of the ones with whom I work prefer admins with work experience over those with certifications. So, I would suggest doing internships, assistantships, and any other work experience that you can get whil you are in school.

Oh, and good luck!! :)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
You dont go looking for a job with Apple.

They find you.

Now if you want to tie yourself to Apple stuff, like IT and the like, they might notice you.

But Apple doesnt hire, they hunt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.