Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I'm trying to download a fairly-modest 9 GB playlist onto my phone, so that I can actually listen to music when I'm not in WiFi, and it's continually stopping the download, the music app freezes up, clicking "download all" works until it doesn't and the "download all" button isn't greyed out anymore, as if you hadn't pushed it to begin with. Did they test ANY of this out?
Had the same issue trying to download a 453-song playlist to my iPad yesterday. Took nearly 24 hours of me babysitting it before all the songs were finally there.

apesmu

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
well, i've just checked my iPhone 4 here at work, and it seems that some songs have been uploaded, but only very, very few, (maybe less than 100) and i have about 20,000 songs - oh, and no complete albums have been uploaded (at the most 4 or 5 songs from 1 album).

i'm happy that at least there are some things there - i'll have to check my PowerBook when i get back home, and see if there are any new messages awaiting me.

so, at least this proves that those of us with older Macs can still upload (some) songs.

anyone else have a similar experience?

thanx all!
...checked my PowerBook this morning, and on Step 2 with about 2,000 songs left to go (out of 20,000). been on over 24 hours! will report back if everything got uploaded ok, etc.

geg

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Had the same issue trying to download a 453-song playlist to my iPad yesterday. Took nearly 24 hours of me babysitting it before all the songs were finally there.

It really seems like they didn't think this through. Is there really NO way for us to still sync a playlist via USB and then add/subtract via iCloud? I guess the idea is to only download stuff when you're ready to listen to it, but that doesn't work very well if you're not in WiFi, and in the real world it's a lot easier to start with a playlist-like sampling rather than think, okay, what MIGHT I want to listen to when I'm out and about. And I shudder to think about what happens if I have to switch devices, wipe it and reload, etc. Can it really be something they consider workable for someone to have to spend an entire week with their iPhone plugged in (I tried letting it load while unplugged and man, WiFi loading drained the battery FAST!).

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
...checked my PowerBook this morning, and on Step 2 with about 2,000 songs left to go (out of 20,000). been on over 24 hours! will report back if everything got uploaded ok, etc.

Mine was taking forever, too. I have started and stopped it several times after it seemed to get stuck and it pretty much seems to have restarted where it left off. Right now, I am at about 500 that still need to be uploaded, down from over 1,000 a little over 24 hours ago. It's a slow process, but think about how many people are doing this all at the same time. The servers are slammed!

For those of you having trouble with Sgt. Pepper's, mine matched the whole album. I have the boxed set of remasters that came out in 2009 and they all matched, but I did not have the mono version that seems to be giving people problems.

As with all new things, there are going to be bugs to work out. I'm sure they will get worked out over time. Many people are asking if Apple tested this before releasing it. Of course they did, but they only had a limited number of people testing. Compared to all of us who have purchased the service since release, there was no way to test it at this type of volume! I'm impressed that it already works as well as it does!

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
empty everything on Macbook

I spent a few days getting my library very happy on my iMac with iTunes match. Upgraded a ton of songs, got everything clean. Worked on my playlists,etc.

I want to have all that happiness on my macbook. So, I remove my iTunes folder on my laptop. Start iTunes with the option key held down and choose to create a new library.

It starts me with a blank library. I then click to Turn on iTunes Match. It checks my library (empty so it doesn't take long). It asks - Do I want to add this computer. I accept. Then it says that there are 14, 950 songs in the cloud. and I click "done". I am now looking at a screen with info about how to rip a cd, how to buy music and how to search my computer for music.

But isn't it supposed to start downloading all my songs from the cloud, or at least show them in a list so I can stream them or choose to download them? And where are the playlists. I got nuthin'.

And the little cloud next to "music" has little blue bars running through it. But nothing is happening.

What up?

repete7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I was just pleasantly surprised. iTunes matched only the Hallelujah Chorus from my ripped CD of the Complete Messiah Oratorio performed by Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony Chorus. Which initially upset me because this recording is not in the iTMS and the version of the the Hallelujah Chorus available in the store is not the one on my CD. However, when I downloaded the matched song, it is the correct version. Hallelujah!

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
It really seems like they didn't think this through. Is there really NO way for us to still sync a playlist via USB and then add/subtract via iCloud?
The best solution is to sync via USB with iTunes prior to enabling iTunes Match on your iDevice. The tracks you synced via USB will remain on the device, and then you'll only have to download new tracks from there on out.

Where it gets tricky is for those of us trying to upgrade old 128kbps tracks to the better 256kbps tracks, because the upgrade doesn't occur unless you delete the 128kbps track (after it's been matched) and then redownload it from iCloud, giving you the 256kbps matched track. One has to do one of two things to get the best-quality tracks:

1. Remove all music from an iDevice and redownload it all directly from iCloud with iTunes Match (a buggy painfully slow approach)

2. Delete and replace all matched tracks under 256kbps in iTunes on the desktop first, then sync all desired music to iDevices prior to enabling iTunes Match on them.

I used the first approach for my iPad, and the second method with my iPhone. The second method is definitely the way to go.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Has anyone figured out a reason why 1, 3, 7 or however many tracks out of the SAME CD are uploaded while the others from the SAME rip are matched? VERY frustrating.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
The best solution is to sync via USB with iTunes prior to enabling iTunes Match on your iDevice. The tracks you synced via USB will remain on the device, and then you'll only have to download new tracks from there on out.

Where it gets tricky is for those of us trying to upgrade old 128kbps tracks to the better 256kbps tracks, because the upgrade doesn't occur unless you delete the 128kbps track (after it's been matched) and then redownload it from iCloud, giving you the 256kbps matched track. One has to do one of two things to get the best-quality tracks:

1. Remove all music from an iDevice and redownload it all directly from iCloud with iTunes Match (a buggy painfully slow approach)

2. Delete and replace all matched tracks under 256kbps in iTunes on the desktop first, then sync all desired music to iDevices prior to enabling iTunes Match on them.

I used the first approach for my iPad, and the second method with my iPhone. The second method is definitely the way to go.
Very good advice and is how I load music myself.

One another point...

Some people have been wanting to store lower bitrate music on their iPhones or other iOS devices so it takes up less space. Assuming you want to keep at least a "must have" playlist stored locally all the time 128kbps can cut that in half if it is rather large.

But they can have their cake and eat it to, if you will: if you preload the iOS device by first syncing to iTunes, and have "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC" checked, you can preload at that bitrate for less space.

I am one that does not really notice the difference on my iPhone so might do that myself.

Michael

Alpina

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
Does iTunes Match eliminate my need for storing my itunes library on Dropbox? I'm using a Win7 desktop as my "mainframe" currently but the migration to Apple began with the purchase of a new 13.3" Air.

My iTunes library is currently stored on the Windows PC and thus I sync my iPhone/iPod to this machine, the Air has seen no iTunes action so far. I'm playing with the thought of placing the library on Dropbox so I can add music while using any computer that I'm using Dropbox/iTunes on.

If I go down the iTunes Match route, will there be no need for having a "main" library i.e. will the "main" be in the cloud? Can I add new songs, an MPx-file regardless of source, on any device that I have authorized to use ITM and then have ITM scan it on that very machine and if matched it will be available to any ITM enabled device of mine?

I understand that iOS devices lack the ability to add music from any source other than iTunes Store, hence only MacOS machines will be able to use the match function. I also curious how a song matched and then placed on more than one playlists will be dealt with? Is ITM as hassle free as Apple says?

Thank you in advance!

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Hate to ask since it may have already been answered but it is a giant thread. Anyone figure out a way to have your matched tracks utilize the iTunes Store meta-data?

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
Has anyone figured out a reason why 1, 3, 7 or however many tracks out of the SAME CD are uploaded while the others from the SAME rip are matched? VERY frustrating.

I would love to know this as well.

I would also like to know why a single track from an entire album purchased from iTunes is "ineligible" when the rest of the tracks are "matched". This happened to four songs from four separate albums. Not really a big deal since it's only four songs but still frustrating since they were all purchased from iTunes and the rest of the tracks all matched.

belarocks

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
iTunes Match Duplicate

Is there a way to globally remove all "duplicate" songs identified by iTunes Match? I only see a way to individually remove them. Thanks,

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I just downloaded an older track from iCloud that I had purchased from iTunes a few years back. It is 128 kbps. I thought iCloud would automatically give me the 256 kbps version? Or do I need to purchase iTunes Match for this function, even for tracks that I bought legit from iTunes?

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Is there a way to globally remove all "duplicate" songs identified by iTunes Match? I only see a way to individually remove them. Thanks,

Sort by 'iCloud Status', select all the duplicates, and hit option-delete. I would examine them very closely first to make sure you aren't losing anything you want to keep. Also, you may actually consider the one iTunes calls a 'duplicate' to be the one you want to keep, if you care about such things (metadata, playcounts, ratings could be different between the two files).

geg

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011

Okay, now I'm confused. I had music on my iPhone already that was sync'd by USB when I enabled Match. Once I enabled Match on my device it wiped out all that music. I was under the impression that this was how Match worked, that ALL your music would be dealt with through Match. So when you turned it on it DIDN'T wipe your music from your device?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Okay, now I'm confused. I had music on my iPhone already that was sync'd by USB when I enabled Match. Once I enabled Match on my device it wiped out all that music. I was under the impression that this was how Match worked, that ALL your music would be dealt with through Match. So when you turned it on it DIDN'T wipe your music from your device?
Are sure it was actually deleted? I think some people see the warning when turning on Match and think it must be so.

I have done this many times now, even during the beta, and my iTunes synched music was always still there.

Now if you synched to a different library, with different music than is in iCloud, I would venture that it would delete the existing music.

Michael

kemck

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2001
Waiting...

I have a few dozen songs that say waiting next to them.... iTunes Match is not running...how do I get these songs to sync?????

geg

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Are sure it was actually deleted? I think some people see the warning when turning on Match and think it must be so.

I have done this many times now, even during the beta, and my iTunes synched music was always still there.

Now if you synched to a different library, with different music than is in iCloud, I would venture that it would delete the existing music.

Michael

Did you enable match on your computer, sync, and THEN enable it on your device? I hadn't done it in that order...I synced and then enabled it on both computer and device, and it did indeed wipe my device...there was no music there. I just spend a whole day downloading a 9 gb playlist, so I'm a little wary of possibly wiping it again. Anyone else with any experience with this? This would eliminate most of the problems I'm having...I assume we could sync our own library's versions of music that Match mis-matched rather than grabbing it from the cloud?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Did you enable match on your computer, sync, and THEN enable it on your device? I hadn't done it in that order...I synced and then enabled it on both computer and device, and it did indeed wipe my device...there was no music there. I just spend a whole day downloading a 9 gb playlist, so I'm a little wary of possibly wiping it again. Anyone else with any experience with this? This would eliminate most of the problems I'm having...I assume we could sync our own library's versions of music that Match mis-matched rather than grabbing it from the cloud?
Yes I did have iTunes Matched turned on in iTunes first (and all tracks matched, etc.).

Heck not only am I not getting local music deleted when turning on Match, I can't seem to get rid of all of the local music unless I delete it manually.

I have 105 tracks on my iPhone that won't go away, even if I turn off music syncing in iTunes then turn it back on. If I look at what iTunes thinks is stored on my iPhone it thinks there is nothing there right now. But they show in the Music app. Well plus all my purchased tracks with cloud icons--they never seem to go away. Odd that you can only have the Music app show only locally downloaded tracks when Match is on. The option goes away with Match off.

So my problem now is more of how to actually delete, without manually deleting each track on iPhone itself--which is a pain. Seems on my iPhone music checks in but it does not check out lol.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
OK this is very strange. I have match off on my iPhone and have 105 songs that won't go away. I even made a playlist of 1 song and synced that but syncing it did not delete any local music. Half of those are iTunes purchased tracks so can understand that.

The strange part is that many of the tracks are NOT iTunes purchases yet they have a cloud icon when I manually delete them. This even includes unmatched tracks that were uploaded to iCloud. Seems strange that it is doing that.

Michael

Question

So, what if your song/album/artist tags arent perfect? Also, what about multiple versions of songs...like: I own "Simon & Garfunkle's Greatest Hits Walmart French Canadian Edition" and iTunes doesnt have THAT exact albulm...do they just read the name of the song and give me whatever they have equivalent? I'd love to replace all my ripped (CD's) songs with higher quality DL...but Im curious before I pull the trigger.

Dont wanna just upload some crappy rips. Cheers Friends!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
When you listen to a song on an iDevice and iTunes Match downloads that song to play it, is it a full download or a temporary cache? I'm curious to if the music file stays on your iDevice after it is downloaded to play or simply gets cleared when you close Music/browse away, whatever.
It is a full download and not cleared when you close the Music app.

Michael

geg

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Yes I did have iTunes Matched turned on in iTunes first (and all tracks matched, etc.).

Heck not only am I not getting local music deleted when turning on Match, I can't seem to get rid of all of the local music unless I delete it manually.

I have 105 tracks on my iPhone that won't go away, even if I turn off music syncing in iTunes then turn it back on. If I look at what iTunes thinks is stored on my iPhone it thinks there is nothing there right now. But they show in the Music app. Well plus all my purchased tracks with cloud icons--they never seem to go away. Odd that you can only have the Music app show only locally downloaded tracks when Match is on. The option goes away with Match off.

So my problem now is more of how to actually delete, without manually deleting each track on iPhone itself--which is a pain. Seems on my iPhone music checks in but it does not check out lol.

Michael

So iTunes claims it's going to delete all the music on your device and then doesn't? Is this a feature or a bug? I would prefer it this way, but that's very odd that it gives that warning if that's not actually how it functions. A little disconcerting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.