Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away

When you use other than pen and paper then you're cheating yourself, as well as distracting others in the lecture room.
I know the research, I have some questions with the way it was done, but I can see some merit in the conclusions as well.
But did you read the last alinea in that article as well?

"I think it is a hard sell to get people to go back to pen and paper," Mueller says. "But they are developing lots of technologies now like Livescribe and various stylus and tablet technologies that are getting better and better. And I think that will be sort of an easier sell to college students and people of that generation."

That research was published in May 2014, so almost 2 years later and we have iPad Pro's in the classroom with.... Pencils!!
And we're back to writing and non-verbatim (or generative) note taking!
So what was your point? Beside stubborn rehearsing the mantra: "no computers in my classes".

Reactions: M. Gustave

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Yes, my textbooks (~1500 pages per 4 weeks), presentations-print-outs, library, webcasts and colleges are all online and I specifically bought the iPad Pro for colleges.

Thanks. I was worried that Blackboard or other online course platforms used Adobe Flash or other proprietary tech that made life difficult with only an iPad.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Currently can't decide between iPad Pro and Surface Pro. Selling my Air 2 to a family member.

I loving having the largest display possible for work and play.

I like the versatility of the Surface Pro 4, but when I'm lounging I'd much rather have iOS. Plus I wouldn't lose all my iPad apps. At same time SP4 would double as my mobile Windows machine for specific engineering applications.

Reactions: AppleDavid

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Awesome post... The iPad Pro is a dream for me personally, I needed a real HD digital sketchpad that I could look at while sketching, and bam Apple did it. I couldn't use a Wacom+Mac, THAT was way too expensive. I'm going into Film/Animation and I draw and sketch about everyday. I deal with large RAW files and have many Safari tabs open when I'm working on reference sketches, so the RAM and power this thing has gets the job done and more. Also having it will help me pass my classes and get a career, helping to pay for itself (or a newer version) even more. Yeah it's obviously not for all college students, cause not all will need what the iPad does. I wish Apple would have lowered the initial Price by like $50-100 bucks though, that would have been a little better for their sales I think... and for me. ;)

Kal.

Reactions: bensisko

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Thanks. I was worried that Blackboard or other online course platforms used Adobe Flash or other proprietary tech that made life difficult with only an iPad.
O, ehm, then be careful, my university has developed in house systems that are still unique and not even used by other faculties, just the law faculty. It took some ugly arm wrestling with publishers to get this done. Professors that write new textbooks are encouraged to do so without publishers that won't allow the use of this platform. Cost are low as well; €100 per 1/2 year, were normal (paper) books cost €400+.
But for the students it's pretty perfect: with my iPad I have everything with me, 1000s of pages of text books, my own notes, presentations, practica, webcasts, everything. It also works on deadslow wifi as it's just texts and PDFs.

Reactions: jeremiah256

1magicmirror6

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
The first time I decided to attempt to go fully digital for school was back in high school when I grew tired of talking to class with a backpack as heavy as... you've guessed it - a pile of textbooks! My plan was to use my Macbook for class. Everything worked perfectly fine throughout high school but I actually still had to bring paper with me due to the possibility of having to draw diagrams & charts during lectures. I tried to fix that problem by purchasing an iPad. It worked out pretty good. However, I never had the intention to actually write on the iPad, just use it for drawing exclusively.

Skip a few years forward and here I am...

when the iPad Pro was first announced, I just thought what many others thought - "It's just a giant iPad!" This is true in so many ways. I laughed even harder when Apple announced the Apple Pencil. I almost thought it was a joke for a minute. It wasn't until I decided to visit the Apple Store and try out the Apple Pencil. I realized that the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil had huge potential for students. The pencil worked perfectly. I purchased the iPad Pro along with the Apple Pencil a week later.

I've used the iPad Pro for my college lectures for about a month now. I can happily say that I went completely digital for college. The iPad does seem pretty big at first, but you'll get used to it and realize that the size of the iPad has a huge advantage in the classroom. It's about the same width as a piece of paper, and about an inch longer than a piece of paper. Aside from that, it really is just a bigger iPad aside from the nice four speakers on it which makes it perfect for another purpose I will mention soon.

Where the iPad Pro shines is when you combine the Apple Pencil with it. It writes very accurately and the feel and weight of the Apple Pencil is very natural. The only complaint I have with the Apple Pencil is that I tend to write harder and put a lot of strain on my fingers. However, putting on a grip from another pen onto the Apple Pencil made a world of a difference. The app I use for taking lectures in class in Notability. Not only is it suggested by many people, I happened to have the app for free when it was app of the week way back in the stone ages. The first few days definitely felt weird when writing with the Apple Pencil. It was mostly because I was writing on glass, and not actual paper. For those struggling with this, I suggest you stick with it because it will get better as you get used to it.

Notability has the ability to record while you take your notes. What's even better is being able to tap on your notes and listen to the recording during the same time that you wrote that note! It's now possible to take shorter notes and still be able to refer to it if you have trouble understanding it! It has dropbox functionality, which is pretty neat. You can export your notes and recording and do whatever your heart desires with them. The four speakers on the iPad is a pretty huge advantage if you sit in a larger classroom or not close to the professor. With the speakers on max volume, I was able to listen to the recording and understand everything my professor said clearly.

People asked me why I ditched my MacBook and iPad Air & settled with the iPad Pro when the MacBook has so much more functionality (running full desktop apps & programs, etc.) There are three main reasons why. The first reason is that I actually never really use my MacBook to its full potential. By the time I'm home, I'm on a desktop instead. My second reason why I switched was because it was a MacBook. With the clamshell design of a laptop, the screen facing upwards created a "shield" between me and my professor. The last and third reason why is the desk size. This seems a little overboard but the size of the desk makes a world of a difference. A lot of lecture rooms tend to have individual desks with a desk size that will probably fit either only a MacBook or an iPad.

534605-aa811acfef9468df8b2312ad03a41960.jpg

You all know what I mean.
Because of this, using an iPad with a MacBook was pretty much a hassle.

By using an iPad Pro, I was able to view documents/textbooks & write my lecture notes all on the same place. It has saved me a lot of trouble and money! The price of the iPad Pro 128 gb cellular with an Apple Pencil costs over $1,000 but it pays for itself in so many ways. The average cost of textbooks and materials exceed well over $1,000 within a year. You also get to save the environment by decreasing or eliminating the use of paper (Save the trees! ) In addition to using the iPad, I suggest getting a glass screen protector. It will protect your iPad from the possibility of scratches due to dirt getting in between your Apple Pencil and the screen. I also suggest the 128 gb and cellular. We've all had that time when we forgot something important at home. With dropbox, you're able to access everything you have and you can also download whatever you need online. The larger storage options means that you don't have to worry about storage space, but I also found that dropbox solves this problem as well.

I'm writing this review because I know that many students are always looking for ways to make their hectic college life more bearable. If you're looking for a way to go digital, this is definitely a good way to do it. The only thing I bring to class now is my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. There are no more notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, etc. Making flashcards online and studying through your phone/iPad, taking notes, and watching Netflix (because every student needs a break sometimes) are all enjoyable. I highly recommend this to every college student out there. It has made lectures so much more enjoyable by removing the unorganized mess I was dealing with before.

If I didn't cover anything you want to know, feel free to ask! :)
[doublepost=1469670966][/doublepost]Hi!
I am considering buying an iPad Pro in the 12.9 inch size, and I was wondering how much storage you bought for yours. I am going to use the device for school - writing papers, doing projects, etc - and I'm not sure whether or not to buy a 32 gigabyte iPad or a 128 gigabyte size. Which would you recommend?
Thanks so much!

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Lovely comments - just add more moving parts to the experience - books, pens and note books what it used to be; now we need power outlets, Wi-Fi, Internet access, power banks, etc ... Just to start

... What do you do when one of those components fail? Ask your fellow 'old style' student if you could borrow a paper and a pen?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Lovely comments - just add more moving parts to the experience - books, pens and note books what it used to be; now we need power outlets, Wi-Fi, Internet access, power banks, etc ... Just to start

... What do you do when one of those components fail? Ask your fellow 'old style' student if you could borrow a paper and a pen?

I've never had my 12.9" iPP fail. I don't carry anything else to class... so if it truly failed I would just sit and listen...

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
For ADA purposes, if you qualify for services, you can *require* that an ipad be allowed. The student can then take quicker notes, record, and take pictures.

Firstly, I can't take you seriously with a response containing "stupidest ideas". You always lose any debate or discussion with such a response. Learn from that.

Secondly, if you're playing about with your electronic gadget in class then you're not listening. You might think you are but you're not. Electronic gadgets are a distraction and should be banned from lecture halls. You also distract the rest of the class with them. As for recording, no you can't.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I'm thankful that most of my teachers have rejected using mymathlab, blackboard works great!

Today is my first day hauling the Pro to school. Unfortunately my MBP has to come too (all 5lbs of it)

Edit: it would be great if there were a keyboard for download on this thing that worked like the old Palm devices and just had handwriting recognition. I don't think I'd feel the need to buy the Smart Keyboard if that existed...

Last edited:

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I'm thankful that most of my teachers have rejected using mymathlab, blackboard works great!

Today is my first day hauling the Pro to school. Unfortunately my MBP has to come too (all 5lbs of it)

Edit: it would be great if there were a keyboard for download on this thing that worked like the old Palm devices and just had handwriting recognition. I don't think I'd feel the need to buy the Smart Keyboard if that existed...

MyScript Stylus - Handwriting Keyboard by MyScript
https://appsto.re/gb/yl_G3.i

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Call me a party pooper, but I can't get out of my head the question: "what kind of high school/college student has 1 grand to spare for an iPad Pro".

Either in OP's area there are part time jobs that a student can take that pay handsomely or... :)

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away

When you use other than pen and paper then you're cheating yourself, as well as distracting others in the lecture room.

The article seems written with humanities in mind.

Math students really want to be able to (touch-)type out the proof exactly, step by step, if possible in LaTeX before the lecturer wipes it away - after shutting wifi off, of course :)

You'll have to review it at home and fill the gaps anyway.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Call me a party pooper, but I can't get out of my head the question: "what kind of high school/college student has 1 grand to spare for an iPad Pro".

Either in OP's area there are part time jobs that a student can take that pay handsomely or... :)

A lot of students have parents who can afford $1000 for a computing device that can enhance their kid's education.

Reactions: Ghost31

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
I work full time on top of school.

You can have free time, education, or money. Typical pick 2 scenario.

Wow.

In my college days I could barely keep the pace with a part time job (which resulted in barely money enough for tuition and, of course, no free time), I can't imagine what kind of hell must be working 8 hours a day and studying and attending class.

Hats off to you, sir.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Thank you. It gets very stressful at the end of every semester for sure. I find being busy all the time very rewarding though - I thrive on being productive.

I've managed to structure my work schedule into 4 10 hour days, school into 2 12 hour days (with a few breaks), leaving me with a whole day I can use to focus on everything that needs to get done at home, which tends to be a 12 hour day.

It's definitely not for everybody. I guess that's why student loans are so popular.

Reactions: villicodelirant
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.