Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
I'm trying to figure out if this is normal behavior for iPhone 7 and/or iPhone SE. (both Verizon)

The iPhone is completely dead and turns itself off. If I plug it into the charger, it powers on and starts charging, without me ever touching the power button. (powers on, as in I can now see the lock screen.. and if I press the home button, it goes to the home screen)

On my Android phones(Galaxy Note 5 and S7), they don't turn on... they just start charging and the screen only shows a batterying charging icon. If I want it to turn on, I have to press the power button.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm trying to figure out if this is normal behavior for iPhone 7 and/or iPhone SE. (both Verizon)

The iPhone is completely dead and turns itself off. If I plug it into the charger, it powers on and starts charging, without me ever touching the power button. (powers on, as in I can now see the lock screen.. and if I press the home button, it goes to the home screen)

On my Android phones(Galaxy Note 5 and S7), they don't turn on... they just start charging and the screen only shows a batterying charging icon. If I want it to turn on, I have to press the power button.
That's how iDevices work. If you had an iPad it would do the same.

Apple assumes that if you are plugging in to power after the battery dies you are still wanting to use the device so it turns back on as soon as there is enough power. Because who wants to have to turn their device back on by themselves if it was on when the battery died? Now, if you shut the device OFF before the battery dies and THEN plug the device in to power it will STAY off while charging. The you have to manually turn it back on.

This behavior only happens if the device is on and then the battery dies and then you plug it in.

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015

actually, the iPad is the reason I started wondering about this.... I have an old iPad 2 and it has NEVER powers on by itself after it dies of a completely dead battery. Has never done that since I bought it new many years ago(early 2011?) It always requires me to physically press the power button to power on.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
actually, the iPad is the reason I started wondering about this.... I have an old iPad 2 and it has NEVER powers on by itself after it dies of a completely dead battery. Has never done that since I bought it new many years ago(early 2011?) It always requires me to physically press the power button to power on.
Really?

Maybe the behavior changed then?

I've had the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5, the 6+ and now the 6s+ and they all do/did this. However, I've only ever had one iPad (Air 2) and it does it so I guess I just assumed that was normal.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

Apple assumes that if you are plugging in to power after the battery dies you are still wanting to use the device so it turns back on as soon as there is enough power. Because who wants to have to turn their device back on by themselves if it was on when the battery died? Now, if you shut the device OFF before the battery dies and THEN plug the device in to power it will STAY off while charging. The you have to manually turn it back on.

This behavior only happens if the device is on and then the battery dies and then you plug it in.

Weird. Even if I turn mine off and plug it in, it'll turn itself on. Hmm. I thought that was just normal for iDevices.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't often let my devices drain to the point where they shuts off, but from what I recall, they do need to get some charge before I can boot them up again.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Weird. Even if I turn mine off and plug it in, it'll turn itself on. Hmm. I thought that was just normal for iDevices.
Odd then. It's rare, but I've turned 'em off when low battery before, plugged 'em in and not had them turn on. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention. Probably that.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Really?

Maybe the behavior changed then?

I've had the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5, the 6+ and now the 6s+ and they all do/did this. However, I've only ever had one iPad (Air 2) and it does it so I guess I just assumed that was normal.

my iPad 2 has been sitting in my closet for almost 2+ years. I just took it out and it was obviously completely dead from lack of use. I found the old charger and plugged it in.. it did not turn on by it self. After a few minutes, I pressed the power button and it turned on, showing 3% and charging.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Sorry did this one handed. Looks kind of clumsy. Device was off. Had to use other hand to push in charger, that's why the camera left the phone for a second. 7+ iOS 10.2.1 PB 3.

Reactions: Sunny1990

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
For the iPad 2 case, I think it's a matter of when you turned it on. Most devices I've owned (read: all that I've paid attention to) turn on after reaching between 5-10% charge. Maybe it allows a manual turn on before then?

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
For the iPad 2 case, I think it's a matter of when you turned it on. Most devices I've owned (read: all that I've paid attention to) turn on after reaching between 5-10% charge. Maybe it allows a manual turn on before then?

I think this is correct. I have a launch day iPad 2 and when it completely dies, it will automatically turn on once its at like 5% power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.