Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
The sexiest powerbook cases ever...

AcmeMade

Be sure to check out the grey flannel - sexy. As far as how much protection they offer, my guess would be minimal. If you're going to kick, drop or otherwise abuse it, go with the hideously ugly Brenthaven. I totally agree with you that it has no style whatsoever, but my friend left his Brenthaven on top of the car with his 17" in it. Had no idea he had done so. It fell to the curb, and was later picked up by the police who found it lying by the side of the road - no damage whatsoever.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
Great minds think alike

Koodauw said:
If you looking for style, then I would recemened checking out acmemade.com

We were thinking the same thing at the same time, apparently. I'm glad to find somebody who owns one. How much protection do they offer? I'm seriously considering one.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
camo, I love all kinds of camo...

if you want extreme ruggedness, you should check out the laptop bag section at "MAXPEDITION"...

Maxpedition offers gear designed with civilian use in mind, but with military styling and rugged construction/materials and the market that Maxpedition is aiming at are regular people who are tired of poorly constructed gear, and like the 'military' styling combined with civilian functionality, made with durable materials and construction. most of their stuff is available in tan, 3-colour desert camo, black, olive, woodland (yeeaaah!!! :D) and midnight blue.

I will probably order a Thermite Varsipack for my iPod and other small stuff and a Mini Rollypoly for my Nalgene bottle... (Hmmmmm, woodland camo :))

check out their website, good stuff

vSpacken

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
well, that's what you think... :p

I like 'em (but I still use a Timbuk2 messenger bag most of the time, 'cause camo and military style does not match all clothes and colors... so it's all about flexibility)

and yes, I think they are stylish (says someone who also likes to wear Hugo Boss, Emporio Armani, Bape, and Maharishi... :))

vSpacken

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
AND they are supposed to be rugged high performance gear, not pretty looking... and I think that's where Maxpedition's products draw their style from (just as The North Face, Alpha Industries and Spiewak)...

vSpacken

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
abc123 said:
those bags are the only ones i have seen that i've really liked in almost a month of looking.
i'm confused about the sizes though, if any one knows which designs will fit a 12" powerbook i'd be really happy.
and thanks to the user who posted that link, it made my day :)

edit:
1. they don't ship to australia :(
2. $250 @!$#$%^$
3. :(

apparently there is a place in sydney that stocks them - if you check the where to find link on their site it'll show some place called krites - northern beaches somewhere i think!

nice looking bags, but quite expensive...! odd site as well, took a bit of getting used to :)

magid

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2003
Has anyone boughten a bag from airbagcraftworks.com? They look like very interesting bags, but are a little on the expensive side. I am looking at one for my future 15" powerbook. Does anyone have pics of the bag itself? thanks

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Are the Timbuk2 bags good for a 12" ibook/powerbook. I also want it to hold an ipod, and a textbook or 2. They look more youngish since i'm going to be a college student!

kim0785b

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
London
Bag you say?!

I just carry mine in a tuscano case but with an A3 (ISO Paper sizes) portfolio zip case fits perfectly and disguises the computer in an art case

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
vollspacken said:
AND they are supposed to be rugged high performance gear, not pretty looking... and I think that's where Maxpedition's products draw their style from (just as The North Face, Alpha Industries and Spiewak)...

vSpacken

what size powerbook do you have? i really like the fatboy versipack (camo r0x). is there enough space in there for a well protected case (for a powerbook), notebooks, and text books?

btw: i found this...
http://www.humanbeans.net/powerpizza/

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
toezter said:
what size powerbook do you have? i really like the fatboy versipack (camo r0x). is there enough space in there for a well protected case (for a powerbook), notebooks, and text books?

sorry, but you won't be able to fit in anything bigger than a Newton MP 2100 in the Fatboy...

according to the spec sheet, the main compartment inner dimensions are 8"x6.5"x3"

still, I recommend getting that Fatboy bag since I have my termite since almost two months now and I love it... fits my iPod, my sunglasses, Blistex, paper handkerchiefs... nice bag, I might get the Fatboy too later this year :)

vSpacken

sapuki

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2004
axio hardpack redux

krisjon said:
I've been poking around looking for a bag to carry my new 17" PB that's coming this Thursday. Just curious if anyone has seen these or maybe has one? A buddy of mine that went to MacWorld saw them and thought they were pretty cool and very different from the other messenger/business styled ones out there + it will hold a 17".

http//www.axio-usa.com

FWIW:

I bought an Axio hardpack about three months ago. The style and practicality of the design were very appealing. The cool extra strap-on case turns out to be very useful. The main component--the plastic 'body'--seems durable. The hardware components (buckles, zippers) and other materials seem to be of various quality, with many of them feeling cheap.

One of the plastic strap buckles has recently broken, without excessive weight having been applied to it and with normal (I'd even say "light") use. I have a customer service request in now to see whether the hardware has been improved; if not, I want my money back.

If asked to give a buy/not opinion today, I'd say "no." Too bad, because there are some nice design ideas. But if quality and price determine value, then it doesn't add up.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I just bought this backpack from Northface to sling my lappy in for my last year of college. I went and saw it, liked the design. Not sure if you're a backpack person tho...

spasticmutant

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
Santa Clara
plunar said:
http://www.sfbags.com

that oughta do it for ya

I second that, and then some. I have their 15" Powerbook neoprene-lined sleeve with D-Rings, velcro flap, "piggy back", and ultra comfortable shoulder suspension strap. That works for around town travel; the piggyback clips to the D-rings and is a godsend. For longer travel, I also own their large Cargo Bag. I like the airplane buckle and lots of pockets, plus it looks really nice.

I like their sleeves so much I bought another one for my work PeeCee, an IBM T40.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
When i first got my pb i used a crappy bag i bought at PC world just to keep it safe as i was traveling around, until i got a decent one. It’s stuffed in the attic somewhere now. (Anyone want it?)

I then got the Tom Bihn Empire Builder. This is one awesome bag. You can get extras like the snake charmer for all your cables, and “strapeez” for keeping them neat and tidy and. Some good colour combinations available by the way.
I don’t use it for my computer anymore though; I use it for charts and nav equipment etc.

I just recently bought the Tom Bihn brain bag and use the brain cell that I initially got with the Builder. You can fit so much in this bag, its just unbelievable. I can get a pair of shoes, 2 pairs of trousers, a few t-shirts and jumpers in the front bit along with all my computer stuff in the back. Great if I have to go on an overnight stay somewhere. I could fit a fair bit more in it as well. Top-notch build quality and its quite good looking.

The Brain cell clips on to the inside of the bag and it is suspended, so if you dropped the bag the impact would be absorbed giving max protection to your computer. The pb itself fits the brain cell really well. It "feels" so secure.

If a backpack isn’t something you’re after then check out these Shoulder bags
What more could you ask for? Nine different shoulder bags to choose from and all of them are great looking!! Again, loads of colour combinations.

Check out the details of all the bags on the site. It's very well done, very informative. I strongly recommend the Brain bag. As you’ve no doubt guessed, I’m very happy with it !!

The customer support at Tom Bihn is excellent, which I think is very important.

Good luck finding the right one for you :)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Currently I'm using a combo of a Brethren shoulder strap style, but I ditched the inline case for a Marware Sportfolio. Because the Brethren inline case lacked compartments and a shoulder strap. Plus the Sportfolio fits right in there perfectly. By itself the Sportfolio lacks much protection (has padding on the bottom and the edges) but other than that it's a thin plastic shell incased in neoprene. The main reason I got it is that it claims to be water proof, something I look forward to (as in I haven't tested this water protection).

http://www.marware.com

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
can anyone recommend a laptop carrying case/bag/cover that you dont need to take the laptop out of in order to use it. ive seen two...the laptrap and a maccase. i like the maccase because its just a cover that totally unzips, revealing your laptop for use inside the bag and its pretty streamlined. but i'd like something with a bit more thought put into it. any suggestions.

this is what i came up with so far...

Attachments

• PBcaseopen.jpg
    PBcaseopen.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 284

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
EGT said:
Check out the details of all the bags on the site. It's very well done, very informative. I strongly recommend the Brain bag. As you’ve no doubt guessed, I’m very happy with it !!

The customer support at Tom Bihn is excellent, which I think is very important.

Good luck finding the right one for you :)

I took at look at the bags there, but frankly I thought the designs to be rather uninspired and alltogether rather boring... but that's just me.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
If that's what you're after then you might like these.

http://www.acmemade.com/

My Brother has one; cost a fortune though. And there is very little protection if any when your computer is inside. They are very nice looking though.

I suggest you look around the forums. There are plenty of bag/case posts.

deral

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
i got me a boblebee, with white plastic hardshell btw (to match ipod and ibook, and the color of my finger nails), and I was a dummy and fell off a tree (a coconut tree--how stereotypical for someone who lives in hawaii) and no scratches on the shell (just a little dirt--but the bag was white, so no one noticed...or did they?!?) and wallah!!! my ibook wasn't smashed. but but was though--too bad i didn't get butt insurance.

lannanh

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2004
beatle888 said:
can anyone recommend a laptop carrying case/bag/cover that you dont need to take the laptop out of in order to use it. ive seen two...the laptrap and a maccase. i like the maccase because its just a cover that totally unzips, revealing your laptop for use inside the bag and its pretty streamlined. but i'd like something with a bit more thought put into it. any suggestions.

this is what i came up with so far...

I think this is a great option if your looking for somethng you can leave in the case. Lots of extras, it seems like they really know the computer and the user when they designed these. The look pretty cool too.

http://www.tekstyl.com/

Good Luck,
Hilary

Aluminum PowerBook G4 15"

Attachments

• menudefault.jpg
    menudefault.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 141

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
You know, EVERYWHERE I go with my Axio, I always get people coming up to me asking where I got "that cool backpack." I admit, it's kind of funky at first, but it grows on you. The protection is tremendous! I feel I could drop it 3 stories up and the PB be a-okay, but of course I wouldn't. I do wish, though, that would actually test one out and use it before just looking at the website and saying it's the worst bag ever...And actually they are coming out with new, smaller ones in November. It shall be interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.