Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Firstly, i configured everything and now my MSN works perfectly with iChat.
I've a question, how can i change my nickname? And how can i change my fonts for my contact list? plus, can iChat, the webcam, can i use any digital camera with my iChat as a webcam? If yes, how can it be done? Finally, why don't i see my friends display pictures? I do see some but some i see a msn logo beside it but when i checked it with my MSN, they've display pictures...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
DarkNetworks said:
Firstly, i configured everything and now my MSN works perfectly with iChat.
I've a question, how can i change my nickname? And how can i change my fonts for my contact list? plus, can iChat, the webcam, can i use any digital camera with my iChat as a webcam? If yes, how can it be done? Finally, why don't i see my friends display pictures? I do see some but some i see a msn logo beside it but when i checked it with my MSN, they've display pictures...

Your nickname is in your Address Book (Address Book application in your Applications folder in Mac OS X), under your name. So if your name was John Doe, and you canged it in your address book to Billy Sue, that would be your new nickname, you only see this though, not anyone else. If you change a nickname for a contact on your iChat buddylist (Control-Click on it and selecet "Get Info") it should also change in your Address Book, and visa versa, sometimes you maybe have to quit or restart iChat to notice an effect.

iChat does not support USB cameras of anykind, you can probably download a plug-in or add-on that may support it but, as it is iChat will only work with an iSight or a few FireWire (Also known as iLink or 1394) digital video Camcorders. iChat sometimes may not display user icons correctly, for example if your firend's icon is a animated .gif file it will only show a still image. Also if the MSN image is larger or a different format iChat may not see it right away, try instant messegeing the person and see if the icon fixes itself which it should. If not than iChat may not be compatible with MSN icons.

Good luck ;)

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Webcam msn?

Hey Guys,

Im going to get ichat working with msn when i get my new mac but for now im stuck on panther.....

1 quick question,is it possible for me on my new imac with webcam to have a video chat with someone on msn messenger using the ichat application? and is it decent quality/speed? or am i stuck with slow ass mercury?

Ed

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
You're stuck with slow-ass Mercury, though I think the latest beta is a bit faster (you have to register for their forums to get it though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.