Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
hi,

i have a network with a few computers on it. i want to share the photos in my user account to others. basically how do you do it.

the windows computer i am wanting to be able to get them can see my computer (so obv we are in the same workgroup). when i click on it i get the password thing. so i type in my usernae and password and it doesnt accept it. i dont really want to create another user account and surely there must be an easier way? is there a guest password? what do i do with the permissions of the files?

help! as you can see im quite confused!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
russed said:
hi,

i have a network with a few computers on it. i want to share the photos in my user account to others. basically how do you do it.

the windows computer i am wanting to be able to get them can see my computer (so obv we are in the same workgroup). when i click on it i get the password thing. so i type in my usernae and password and it doesnt accept it. i dont really want to create another user account and surely there must be an easier way? is there a guest password? what do i do with the permissions of the files?

help! as you can see im quite confused!

I take it you want to share between a Mac and a PC? If that's the case, turn Windows File Sharing on on the Mac--Apple>System Preferences>Sharing and check with Windows File Sharing box. This will allow you to log on to the Mac from the Windows box using your Mac's user name and password. Good luck! :)

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
i have done that. can i get the person to log onto the apple using my user account, even if i'm logged on? i have been trying this but it wont let me!

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
have done that. but it doesnt tell me about permissions and user accounts

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I'm pretty sure you have to create a separate user account to log into a mac from a windows machine. I forget where I read that but that's the way I do it. Works fine.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Try logging on with either your short name and if unsuccessful, then try with your long name. (REMEMBER it's case sensitive).

Sometimes only one of the 2 logins will work.

If you successfully log into your own account from another machine, you will have permission to read and write to your own files and directories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.