Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
So we have figured out that the top 5% has closed down to 1.6 to 2Gb. This is worrying as the cheaper plans may now actually become "better" deals...

I wonder if I can get them to let me out of my contract over this....

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Just got my letter today
Dear JOHN ,

Like other wireless companies, AT&T is taking steps to manage exploding demand for mobile data. We're responding on many levels, including investing billions in our wireless network this year and working to acquire more network capacity.

As mentioned on a previous bill, we're also taking additional, more immediate steps to help address network congestion and improve reliability. One of these steps involves a change for some customers who use extraordinarily large amounts of data in a single billing period - about 12 times more data than the average smartphone user.

For the current billing cycle, your data usage indicates you could be affected by this change. Here's how it works:

Smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.

We're writing because you are in the top 5 percent of heaviest data users for this billing cycle. Because we recognize that data usage can change from month to month, you will not see reduced speeds this billing cycle.

Beginning with your next billing cycle, we'll send you a text message if you are approaching the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. We'll also send you a second text message if you cross into the top 5 percent of heaviest users, at which point you may see reduced speeds for the rest of the month.

Customers have several ways to manage extremely high data usage.

Wi-Fi offers great speeds and doesn't add to your wireless data usage. Consider using Wi-Fi when possible for applications that use the highest amounts of data, such as streaming video apps, remote web camera apps, large data-file transfers (like video) and some online gaming.

You may also consider switching to a tiered data plan if speed is more important to you than having an unlimited data plan. Customers on tiered plans can pay for more data if they need it, and will not see reduced speeds.

To estimate how much data different activities use, and find out more about Wi-Fi or tiered data plans, visit https://www.att.com/dataplans or call Customer Care at 800-331-0500.

Unlimited - 2081.51 used

:rolleyes: I'm barely even over the 2gig mark.

Funny because about 6 months ago I had 3.3GB used for the month, nothing from them about me being over the limit.

Last edited:

brentblack24

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
This is bullsh#t

If there was a donation fund to start a lawsuit proceedings, I'd rather donate to that instead of giving any money to At&t.

My phone throttled (crippled) is utterly useless, and there is no way I've used as much data as they say I have....

soym

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
I've had iPhones for the last several years with the unlimited data. Just received the top 5% message for the first time ever, so I decided to check my usage...2068.93 MB of unlimited . I am day 14 of 31 days in the billing cycle.

Just a matter of time...and the unlimited plans will go away one way or another.

matherman

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
run netflix at night

AT&T pissed me off with the throttling. I was doing a east coast drive and got throttled around 2gb, pandora was skipping. Since my phone is basically unusable after it is throttled I stream ever night when I go to bed just to run up the bandwidth. It seems if enough people did this it would push the top 5% up a little bit.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I've had iPhones for the last several years with the unlimited data. Just received the top 5% message for the first time ever, so I decided to check my usage...2068.93 MB of unlimited . I am day 14 of 31 days in the billing cycle.

Just a matter of time...and the unlimited plans will go away one way or another.

They particularly won't remove the unlimited plan from grandfathered users, but they will send the "Top 5%" messages and throttle you. They would lose A LOT of customers if they forced people to one of their new plans. If they force people to their new plans, that is breaking their original agreement and would give the option to the customer to cancel service free of charge I believe. I don't think it would apply to me as I'm out of my agreement that I signed and have been eligible for an upgrade since I started with AT&T.

----------

AT&T pissed me off with the throttling. I was doing a east coast drive and got throttled around 2gb, pandora was skipping. Since my phone is basically unusable after it is throttled I stream ever night when I go to bed just to run up the bandwidth. It seems if enough people did this it would push the top 5% up a little bit.

I don't think they will change the limit if people started doing that, it's more than likely a set amount that AT&T has put, but won't state what the limit is, 2GB is a joke, I agree, it should be what their highest GB offered in the Data plan which is 3GB without being throttled, if not more. What happens with people who have the 3GB plan? Do they get throttled at around 2GB?

The way I have gotten most of my usage was from an app called "TuneIn Radio" and stream something, usually Kevin and Bean is 100MB-150MB per episode to stream entirely. I could go through 1GB in less than an hour.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
If this is only about people on unlimited plans, then AT&T's idea may be:

(1) Make unlimited plan annoying for people in "top 5% data usage group" (by throttling)
so
(2) Some people in "top 5% data usage group" change from the unlimited plan, or reduce data use
so
(3) The "top 5% data usage group" now uses less data than in the past
so
(4) Throttling occurs earlier, and earlier, and earlier
so
(5) More people are motivated away from the unlimited plan

Does that make sense?

This is the exact underhanded method this company is using. I'm seriously considering switching to a competitor soon.

jmyknight

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
At&t lies

Just got a text message from them this morning saying that my data usage it approaching the top 5%. My data usage was 1.5 gig. REALLY. I have 10 days left in my billing cycle and I am in the top 5% of users. I called to complain and was told it's a computer generated message and it's done by users/market/time of the month. Since when was market a part of this, the message says "OF USERS" be more specific. They are trying to get us "UNLIMITED" users off the plans. They just SUCK. What they are going to do is get us "UNLIMITED" users of AT&T.

LIARS.

Vaughn Logan

Jan 20, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I believe that AT&T has already safe-guarded themselves by disallowing law suits as a condition of contract subscription. Instead, an independent arbitrator will likely hear the case. The best resolve for now is to file a complaint with the FCC. See the thread on this forum entitled "AT&T Bandwidth Throttling" for information on this issue.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Not going to play chicken with AT&T.

Out of curiosity I checked my monthly data usage last night. I am up to 1.5GB with two weeks left in my billing cycle. I never gave a second thought to how much data I used until I started reading through this thread. However lately I have been stareaming Pandora fairly frequently in the car while driving.

Going to be very interesting if I get the message. However as a longtime AT&T customer (10+ years), iPhone user since day one (unlimited plan of course) and being almost out of contract...if they pull this crap on me I will happily tell them to pound sand and take my $150/month family plan to another carrier.

soonersean

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got the text on Sunday with just over 2gb. I'm now being throttled and testmyiphone shows I'm getting 31 kB/s. Very few pages load before they timeout and forget watching any videos. I'm posting constantly on AT&T FB page. May not do any good - but helps me vent. I have 10 days left in this cycle and my phone is a paperweight.

shanerockey

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2006
my last billing cycle was 26.3 GB

wow!

----------

unlimited = unlimited right?

un·lim·it·ed   /ʌnˈlɪmɪtɪd/ Show Spelled[uhn-lim-i-tid] Show IPA
adjective
1. not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
2. boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
3. without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

soonersean

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just spoke to Lakeisha at AT&T and was told that this is how it will now be. They have to throttle unlimited plans to help manage network congestion.

She had no answer for how they plan to support the new 3-5GB tiers if they can't handle 5% of their users hitting more than 2.

soonersean

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012

Lakeisha at AT&T just told me to basically get used to throttling. She also thanked me for being a loyal customer and told me they appreciated my business. Bwahahahahaha.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"

Just spoke to Lakeisha at AT&T and was told that this is how it will now be. They have to throttle unlimited plans to help manage network congestion.

She had no answer for how they plan to support the new 3-5GB tiers if they can't handle 5% of their users hitting more than 2.

While I won't deny that network congestion is an issue, the claim of Unlimited users being the sole blame is complete horse crap, especially at the 2GB threshold. This is nothing more than a BS fix to a BS problem, and the only reason it exists is to try to push unlimited customers onto a more profitable plan.

my last billing cycle was 26.3 GB

wow!

No offense and I am not trying to flame you, but YOU are the type of customer that should be getting throttled...not the folks only using 2-3GB's. Not saying I condone the throttling for anyone on the unlimited plan, but if they're going to do it they should at least be fair about it.

soonersean

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012

They shouldn't worry about throttling until someone is north of 5GB. If you're going to offer 3-5GB tiers then an unlimited plan should be allowed to exceed both. Hence the use of the term "unlimited".

I said yesterday that AT&T might be the only ones who could actually define a limit for the concept of "infinity". "At AT&T infinity means SIX!!!"

For some reason I always picture the boss in the Dilbert cartoons when I think of AT&T.

kreilly

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011

I got throttled last night as I crossed the 2gb mark.

mattesonb

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
rubbish!

my story is like all the rest, starting this past november i have been received 2 warning texts a month about being in the "top 5%" of data users, and finally on january 30th i got the 3rd message telling me i am now being throttled. i found this strange as i received the first message in november after using only 1.24GB with the second warning coming 10 days later at 1.89GB of use. the same pattern followed in december with slightly lower numbers. and finally this january i began being throttled after using 2.24GB.

for those who are being throttled, they take your data speed down below 0.25MB which renders the phone virtually useless when not on WIFI.

i spent 2 hours on the phone last night with a customer service representative who offered no resolution other than to switch to the 3GB/month for $30 plan and forever losing my "unlimited data plan" forever.

the representative did let slip a few bits of information on accident;
1. the 5% is calculated based on usage of other "unlimited iphone data users" by your regional market (though she would not say what area that covered)
2. the warnings, and actual throttling is handled by an automated system based on the parameters they have given it
3. she has seen warning go out to users for as little as 300MB 4 days into a billing cycle

I feel this is a blatant underhanded tactic by ATT to force "unlimited" data users onto tiered plans, and by being intentionally extremely vague on how they come up with the "5%" numbers they are getting away with it.

c0ry138

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
AT&T throttling...

Get this gents and ladies AT&T is throttling everybody with unlimited plans and this is how. After you hit the top 5% they slow your data so much it's pretty much impossible to use it right. Giving the person right behind you to hit 5% the next day. Eventually everyone hits it and everyone gets throttled because they dot release you until the end of your billing cycle. This is outrageous and they are braking terms of service if they are throttling more than the top 5% not to mention its not even national. They brake it up to your town to your day of cycle. So your are competing with very few people which makes it easy as hell to hit top 5 percent if you have no one in your small group using data. And if you all are using data you will all get throttled. And when you ask AT&T to show you the avg. usage in your town they have no idea because te network decides. So they can't tell me how it works I can't look at it all I can do is read there terms. Where the **** is the legal team so we can sue this company and get what's rightfully ours unlimited data with no throttling.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Obviously they want to get rid of the unlimited accounts, but what I don't get is why they don't treat them the same as the other people who pay $30/mo.

If they start throttling unlimited users at 2GB, but I could switch to 3GB for the same price, why do they care if I am unlimited or 3GB for $30?

It would have saved them a ton of bad PR to just throttle people at the same level as the $30 tier.

I still think that stinks for some people (5GB seems more reasonable limit to me, but whatever). Most of the comments seem to come from the fact that some people are now effectively getting less data on unlimited than the people paying the same amount for $3GB...

it doesn't make sense that $30 UNLIMITED gets less data then $30 for 3GB...

THAT is where they screwed up...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
....it doesn't make sense that $30 UNLIMITED gets less data then $30 for 3GB...

THAT is where they screwed up...

The last AT&T rep I spoke with actually agreed with me when I said the same thing. I said, "How can Joe Blow walk in today and pay the same amount a 4+ year customer can and get better service? To me it sounds like you are treating your loyal customers worse than your new ones."

I've been getting throttled anywhere from 2-3 GBs without even getting a notice. Today I can't even open a link from within Mail without Safari timing out.

Where the **** is the legal team so we can sue this company and get what's rightfully ours unlimited data with no throttling.

Section 6.2 or your contract says hello.

JDVough

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010

Since there is no outside oversight, and since there seems to be far more than 5 percent of users getting notices, it appears, as many experts have said, that there is no "top 5 percent." AT&T is throttling up to 50% of its "unlimited" customers in order to force them onto tiered plans. There is no Top 5 percent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.