Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With two sizes, three models and dozens of bands to choose from, the Apple Watch is easily the most personable -- and fashionable -- product that Apple has ever released. But if the Classic Buckle, Milanese Loop or Stainless Steel Link Bracelet are too costly or don't match with your fashion style, or you are simply looking to mix things up, look no further than the wide range of third-party bands available online.

Apple-Watch-Box.jpg
Seville Classics Bamboo Drawer Organizer from Costco (via msink)​

In the absence of official third-party bands, several users have shared pictures of their unofficial bands in the popular The Great "Third Party Band/Strap" Thread within the MacRumors discussion forums. Most third-party bands are sold through Amazon, eBay or Etsy and generally cost considerably less than those sold by Apple, and all you need to get started are Apple Watch adapters.

Apple Watch Band Adapters

Apple-Watch-Adapter.jpg
To use a third-party band with your Apple Watch, you will need to fasten both ends of the band to an Apple Watch adapter, a tiny metal part with a slide-and-lock mechanism. These adapters can be purchased from Amazon or eBay, generally for less than $20 a pair, and allow for essentially any regular wristwatch band to be used with the Apple Watch.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: A Look at Third-Party Bands for Apple Watch

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
I saw this awesome one on Amazon that made sorta look kinda like a Gshock watch. It comes out August. I'd get that for sure.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
It is. I have it.

I'm also waiting on a knockoff blue leather loop band. Should be here tomorrow. $41

I bought a "space gray" Hoco and I was initially impressed, but ultimately returned it. The color was more bronze than gray and it didn't match my space gray Sport. Frustrating because the fit and quality were great, but not matching the watch was a dealbreaker. I've read similar complaints about bands like this that were supposed to be black but were this bronze color instead. It looks like the same factory makes these bands and different companies put their names on it. I haven't found a black link bracelet that has black connectors that isn't this Hoco/other band.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I bought a "space gray" Hoco and I was initially impressed, but ultimately returned it. The color was more bronze than gray and it didn't match my space gray Sport. Frustrating because the fit and quality were great, but not matching the watch was a dealbreaker. I've read similar complaints about bands like this that were supposed to be black but were this bronze color instead. It looks like the same factory makes these bands and different companies put their names on it. I haven't found a black link bracelet that has black connectors that isn't this Hoco/other band.
Yeah that sounds annoying. I have the silver band and the color is good. Honestly, that's part of the reason I chose not to go with the space gray sport. As much as I liked it, I knew that band shopping would be a pain in the ass.

IsamuM

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
Tokyo, Japan
I don't know how a NATO band could have been selected. They look good, but NATO bands require a part of the band to go under the watch, so that part of the functionality (the HRM) of the Apple Watch will be lost.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Some of these are very nice, but for now, I am sticking with my SS Links band from Apple. The darn thing cost more than the watch (well almost), but I really like it. If I ever get tired of it, its nice to see that finally some interesting alternatives are coming out. I will say that the only concern I have is related to the durability of the buckle. My number 1 concern and one reason I went with the Links is that if the buckle fails the watch could be destroyed. And I worry about this because I have had buckles fail in the past and it has not been pretty.

davidjmarks

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2015
Trappe, PA
I have a HOCO band in Black. I love it. It was easy to adjust (once I figured out how - no instructions but came with tool) and has worn well. No scratches or discoloration. I've had it about 6 weeks.

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
I love the weathered brown leather one on the lower left of that bamboo organizer.

Does anyone know who makes that or where to get it?

Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 8.18.09 AM.png

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Are the 3rd party watch band adapters all the same size? If I buy adapters for a 42mm watch, what size of strap should I be looking for?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
One sweet thing about the AW is the ability to put 3rd party bands, very nice.

Lord Killington

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
I don't know how a NATO band could have been selected. They look good, but NATO bands require a part of the band to go under the watch, so that part of the functionality (the HRM) of the Apple Watch will be lost.
It's a 2 piece strap. Not a regular G10.
image.jpg

sproatse

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2015

Same boat. I still like the band enough that I'm keeping it on, despite the color mismatch. In most lights you can't tell, and I actually prefer the bronze color (good description for it) than the much bluer slate, which almost reads purple in comparison.

Looking for a cheap leather one now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.