Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Or, we might know better than to buy all all-in-one since the LCD will last three generations of computer. So when your iMac dies or is obsolete, and your display becomes useless, I'm sitting here with the same three LCDs, and I swap out the Mini.

But you're right, we're just too cheap for an iMac which is *way* better and can totally be moved over to the home theater, or the kitchen, or my car.

My server is a home built Linux box. I don't have to look at it, but it needs to host up my Time Machines, files, iTunes, etc.

The ACD is useless to me because it only has one input and a fixed cable length. With a normal panel, I can plug in what I want, and as far from the device as need be. Can't do it with an ACD.

I don't need a Mac Pro, an iMac is worthless to me. I don't like notebooks for the same reasons as the iMac. The Mini is perfect for me.

I'm not jumping on the new Mini just because the chip isn't an upgrade from the 2009 Mini. In 2011, I'll buy in. And plug it in to the same LCDs that I'm using now.

Look, you like what you like, and you certianly don't have to justify it to me or anyone. Awesome for you, and I agree with your logic of skipping this generation.

I do have to doubt your assertion that an imac LCD only lasts for three years. I think it's patently false, actually. There are plenty of old imacs still up and rocking. My gods, on "The City" Whitney is still using acrylic imacs, and they work fine.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Watch out, holding your breath will make you
attachment.php

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
I do have to doubt your assertion that an imac LCD only lasts for three years. I think it's patently false, actually. There are plenty of old imacs still up and rocking. My gods, on "The City" Whitney is still using acrylic imacs, and they work fine.

I didn't mean just the LCD. What happens if the systemboard goes in the iMac? The perfectly good LCD is useless now. So repair an old box, or throw away a perfectly good LCD. Can you plug older (or current) generation iMacs into other devices to use as a display if the internals have failed?

Let's say the iMac lasts 10 years. How many of those G4s are still usable now as Flash and other things beat that CPU to death? No more PPC code's being written. So now the perfectly good display collects dust because the internals have aged.

I don't know what "The City" is, but are you really using a TV show or something to demonstrate the longevity of a computer?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
You can, actually. It's called target display mode.

Bri

I'm pretty sure you mean target disk mode. That makes the computer that you put in target disk mode a external HD, so you can recover files, but like scottsdale said, if the logic board is dead, your screwed.

Is there a such thing as target display mode?

EDIT: A google serch found out that a target display mode exists, but its only for the 27" iMac.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure you mean target disk mode. That makes the computer that you put in target disk mode a external HD, so you can recover files, but like scottsdale said, if the logic board is dead, your screwed.

Is there a such thing as target display mode?

Yes, there is.

You can read about it here.

Honestly, if you're that worried about salvaging individual components, the iMac is not for you. It's too bad you'll be stuck with a C2D and a sub-par GPU out of a worry of what might happen several years from now.

Bri

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Not once the logic board goes!

I had a MBP with a logic board on the fritz and still got my data off through target disk mode before the board went completely. Of course, mileage will vary, but all hope is not lost if your logic board is seemingly toast.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I had a MBP with a logic board on the fritz and still got my data off through target disk mode before the board went completely. Of course, mileage will vary, but all hope is not lost if your logic board is seemingly toast.

Well, you're a little incoherent1 aren't you? Actually, I was talking about target display... someone else brought up target disk as a different topic by confusion.

I did some research on this, and at the Apple forums I read that if the logic board on the iMac is out it will NOT work as a display for any Mac with an MDP. The iMac needs its logic board working to display another Mac's (like an MBA) MDP out to iMac's display only using the MDP cable from MBA with MDP to the iMac.

Huubster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Newsflash. I executed the option I mentioned when I started this thread.

haoqfu

Cancelled
Aug 29, 2006
I really wish the 27" and 32.5/33" LED-backlit Apple Cinema Displays were updated. Why does Apple refuse to update so many of its products? There are still plenty of reasons for a Mac media event.

I am really done thinking the MBA will be updated soon. I suspect October or January now seem the most realistic.

One problem with the Mac mini today is the damned HDMI. I know some like it, but I would have much preferred two Mini Display Port outs. That way we could connect two new LED ACDs. With the HDMI, it limits that port basically to a flat panel TV. I think the users could buy a $29 MDP to HDMI with sound just fine. Or include the thing if they thought it was necessary.

I am going to buy the Mac mini Server. I plan to use it as a media server and for some web stuff. It should be pretty fun to mess around with. I really like having the server software even if I don't fully utilize it. I also like the idea of connecting a BluRay drive to it and running Windows on it.

At least it will be something to mess with while we're all waiting for a damned MBA update.

I'd prefer 2 mdp as well, but still, you can get a belkin av360 (which costs $149) to connect to the 24 led from the hdmi output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.