Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I love the sound of different accents . . . at least most of them. Even southern ones. Haha.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Do other accents get flak? Yeah, you could say that. One of the things that drives me crazy is that people in the rest of the US automatically assume Southern accent=backwards, shoeless, toothless, inbred, trailer-park living idiot. Sometimes I think if Stephen Hawking's voice box had a southern accent, people would automatically consider him a dumb redneck or something.

Agreed. It is a very stereotypical and ignorant response.

flightsimmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
O'Fallon, IL
I have the really bad habit of changing accents to match were I am.... Right now, I live in the St. Louis area and around my friends I have the typical midwestern accent with a tiny bit of southern mixed in. When I go visit my folks down in the bootheel, my accent goes right back to the redneck hillbilly drawl that I grew up with. The only bad part about that is if I get around people from different countries, I typically start to match their accent, and don't usually realize it until they're already pissed off from them thinking I'm trying to insult them.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Given my recent but admittedly limited experience of Americans attempting British accents, probably no region that exists on earth at all. :D

What do people think of Hugh Laurie's American accent in House (M.D.)? Not sure what accent he's using there...

The so-called "Midwestern U.S." or "General American" accent, which is widely spoken in many American films, TV series, national news, commercial ads, and American radio broadcasts. The General American accent is most closely related to a generalized Midwestern accent and is spoken particularly by many newscasters. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I have the really bad habit of changing accents to match were I am.... Right now, I live in the St. Louis area and around my friends I have the typical midwestern accent with a tiny bit of southern mixed in. When I go visit my folks down in the bootheel, my accent goes right back to the redneck hillbilly drawl that I grew up with. The only bad part about that is if I get around people from different countries, I typically start to match their accent, and don't usually realize it until they're already pissed off from them thinking I'm trying to insult them.

My cousin does the exact same thing, so annoying. When I go visit she will take on my Texas accent. When her friends from Mexico are there she will take on their accents. It's really funny at Christmas when people are there from all over to see what role she will take on as her main voice.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Is there any therapy I can take to gain a British accent? I have the general american (lack of) accent at the moment. I think that it would be awesome if I had a British one though. British like the kind Richard Dawkins has, as apparently there are many varieties.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I have to add that there are many "southern" accents. Someone from Texas sounds different than someone from Georgia and someone from Louisiana sounds different than someone from Mississippi etc..

People from Louisiana (well, southern Louisiana) sound different from EVERYBODY else! :)

But you are right. The South Carolina accent is way different from Alabama or Texas. I'm not sure how, but despite living in the South my entire life, I managed to not develop a very strong accent. I've often had people around here ask me where I'm REALLY from, since they often don't believe I'm a native.

People may or may not think the Boston accent sounds stupid, but it is one the most distinct and maybe most mocked around. I've read about people trying to get rid of it because it is so distinctive. I seem to remember Matt Damon and a few other actors training to get rid of it.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Is this true? Or do other accents in the US get some flack too?

It seems to me that southern accents seem to be met with more disdain than even New York or other northeastern accents, but perhaps it's because I live in Texas.

Yes, there are some really unintelligent people with thick southern accents, but there are also some genuinely brilliant people with the same accent. Many people can be very prejudicial about accents, I won't deny that.

Curiously, the accent that annoys me most is the fake southern/Texas accents I hear in movies and on TV. The ONLY natural-sounding Texas accent I can remember hearing in a movie was from Matthew McConaughey, and he's a Texan.

yourwiseguy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
I don't know about American accents but I am still trying to polish up my Irish accent. Love a good Irish accent. :cool:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So am I, and my accent is awesome. Though living in Texas for the last few years, I get SO much crap over it.

Seriously, y'all is not a real word. It still makes me giggle when people text it. Like they are trying to keep the accent in the written word as well.

NY accent FTW!

Ya'll is a real word. Welcome to Texas.
I know most people think any accent is consider uneducated. The educated accent so to speak is fairly neutral.
I do not have much of an accent. Only on certain words can someone here a very slight Texan accent but for the most part it is pretty neutral. I may of grown up in Texas my entire life but both my parents are from the midwest, college educated and then suburbs of a major city.
Those factors kind of kill an accent from forming.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Seriously, y'all is not a real word. It still makes me giggle when people text it. Like they are trying to keep the accent in the written word as well.

Not a word? O RLY?

Webster's dictionary disagrees with you.

As does the Oxford dictionary.

And, just for fun, learn some history of the word at Wikipedia.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Y'all keep 'em straight up there! :D

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wow old thread! New Yorkers always sound super mad. I usually find accents fairly interesting. I remember being in Germany and meeting a group of heavy British accent speakers at a bar and we (Americans) told them how awesome they sounded. Lol. Southern accents are fun - initially it was difficult but after working with people with that accent for some time now, it’s a comforting accent. My wife and I watch Acorn TV and it’s pretty amazing how different some American accents are from English accents.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I watch some British programs too, and it is not so much the accent as must as the different words and slang they use. We lived in Toronto for 12 years and got used to the "Eh?". It took us a while to get used to a friend calling a sofa a "chesterfield"!. She would refer to Detroit as Deetroyet. I grew up in New Joisy, went to university in Bahston for a couple of years. One day a food truck was out in front, I asked for a milkshake and got a beaten glass of milk, when I asked where the ice cream was, he said oh you want a frappe. I transferred to RIT is Rahchasta NY. Again it wasn't so much the accent as much as their unique pronunciations. There was an area Chili, but they they pronounced it Cheyeleye. When my sister-in-law moved to Florida, she sent us tongue in cheek book on understanding the southern accent. Like "my ahms are tarred" or there is "all" like "you all" or "all" that you put in your car. I guess living in so many different places, my accent has remained neutral, never had a Jersey accent because we were from a suburban area, not an industrial area like Newark or Perth Amboy.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I'm from Upstate New York In Finger Lakes region! Ate least the brewmaster and Wine Makers have fun in the Summer and Fall! The UpState Brewers Fest is still the best vestibule I've ever been at! The last time I was at one (about 5 years ago) and in was $30 dollars and one glass with water fountain to wash out before the next booth! The best time when judges give put first, second and third prizes out! You just have to have a designated driver with you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.