Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Ok, so i need an external hardrive. Lots of people say to build ur own, but im still thinking.

but i had a thought:

One thing about building an external harddrive is that u can upgrade ur enclosure as interfaces get better right?

am i totally out of my mind on this?:p

SpeedFleX

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Interwebz
I don't get what you are asking, if I understand right you are wanting to buy an external drive enclosure?

for Harddrives? DVD Drives? BluRay Drives?

And once you have an enclosure it is really not possible to upgrade the interface once it's USB 2.0 its going to stay USB 2.0 and you cant just attach a USB 3.0 Interface to it, as an example...

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I don't get what you are asking, if I understand right you are wanting to buy an external drive enclosure?

for Harddrives? DVD Drives? BluRay Drives?

And once you have an enclosure it is really not possible to upgrade the interface once it's USB 2.0 its going to stay USB 2.0 and you cant just attach a USB 3.0 Interface to it, as an example...
sorry, a Harddrive. should have been more specific.
well, i was thinking a usb 2.0 enclosure for now, but a 3.0 enclosure as they come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.