Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfgirlgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
I went to clear out a 2011 27" iMac and seem to have really messed up thinking the Macintosh HD part was OK to erase in Disk Utility - (since there was an OS X Base System as well.)

It needs noting this iMac has been modded with an internal 500GB SSD. I didn't do it - but it was running great - booting in seconds!

I can get to the (internet) recovery and DiskUtil screens - but when I attempt to reinstall OS X I get the cryptic message.

Without this I think I might have to create a bootable USB drive with Mavericks on it - boot from it and then start from scratch to erase and reinstall OS X on the SSD.... unless this is familiar to anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_4740.JPG
    IMG_4740.JPG
    679.5 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_4730.JPG
    IMG_4730.JPG
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 136

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It may be much simpler to do a clean install with the macOS version that you actually are going to use... (booting and installing from a bootable external drive, such as a flash drive.)
What version of macOS were you using before you erased the drive?

(Note: that OS X Base System is NOT on your iMac, it is simply the system that you are using with Internet Recovery. and the Base System is on Apple's remote server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.