Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
guys I just thought about the possiblity of USB 2.0 in the new Macs is likely not to happen. (but I really hope i'm wrong)

Well the current PMs have 4 USB ports
2 in the back and 2 on the keyboard (and 2 on the MAC LCDs)

If Apple were to release USB 2.0 in July then wouldn't they need to upgrade the keyboard and add in a new line of LCDs with USB 2.0 built in. Unless apple want to have a hybrid USB system with 2 USB 2.0 ports in the back and 2 USB 1.1 on the keyboard and mac monitors. But to me that would be silly.

I think that would confuse people and Apple isn't going to do anything that might make it slightly chalanging to use their pro machines.

Personally I could handle this situation if it arises. But I'm starting to think that Apple won't go through that trouble until the keyboard and monitors are changed to USB 2.0. Which means it looks like a PCI USB 2.0 card for me and many others.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: A sign of no USB 2.0 in new Power Macs?

Originally posted by TyleRomeo
guys I just thought about the possiblity of USB 2.0 in the new Macs is likely not to happen. (but I really hope i'm wrong)

Well the current PMs have 4 USB ports
2 in the back and 2 on the keyboard (and 2 on the MAC LCDs)

If Apple were to release USB 2.0 in July then wouldn't they need to upgrade the keyboard and add in a new line of LCDs with USB 2.0 built in. Unless apple want to have a hybrid USB system with 2 USB 2.0 ports in the back and 2 USB 1.1 on the keyboard and mac monitors. But to me that would be silly.

I think that would confuse people and Apple isn't going to do anything that might make it slightly chalanging to use their pro machines.

Personally I could handle this situation if it arises. But I'm starting to think that Apple won't go through that trouble until the keyboard and monitors are changed to USB 2.0. Which means it looks like a PCI USB 2.0 card for me and many others.

USB 2 is for mass storage devices (still slower then FireWire), MOST of the controllers are backward compatible with 1.1 devices. Input devices will remain USB 1.1 since there is no benefit from converting them to 2.0, nor any need to do so.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
i dont care
if im hooking up a printer id rather have it connect through usb 2.0 rather then 1.1. why should we just settle for a certrain speed. Can you honestly say that there wont be any useful USB 2.0 devices being released in the next 5 years?

c'mon get with the times people and go USB 2.0

I know we all love Firewire and Gigawire or whatever apple will release but its not going to hurt anyone in having USB 2.0 (like you said its still slower then Firewire)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
i dont care
if im hooking up a printer id rather have it connect through usb 2.0 rather then 1.1. why should we just settle for a certrain speed. Can you honestly say that there wont be any useful USB 2.0 devices being released in the next 5 years?

c'mon get with the times people and go USB 2.0

I know we all love Firewire and Gigawire or whatever apple will release but its not going to hurt anyone in having USB 2.0 (like you said its still slower then Firewire)

Have you seen any ads/promotions or ANYTHING about printers going to USB 2.0?? I haven't. If the device is not made to work with USB 2.0, it will only function at 1.1's speed. That makes it a wasted technology. Most computers come with USB 1.1 ports, and only a few (if any) come with 2.0 ports on them. USB 2.0 is struggling to gain acceptance, with only a handful of devices out at this time. I believe that Firewire had more devices when it was the same age as USB 2 is now.

I don't see any use (for me) for USB 2.0. ALL that I use USB for is input devices (ie. keyboards and mice). I even converted my printer to Ethernet so that I didn't have to deal with connecting it to different systems, and to allow any system on my home network to use it (both Mac's and peecee's).

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
thats fine man, but im planing on getting the PM this summer and want to keep it for 5 years so i want to be able to forsee any future computer advancements and dont want to waste a PCI slot with USB 2.0.

5 years ago when i bought my present comp there was no USB. and it has sucked not having it. I'm getting USB 2.0 when I need it regardless, id just like to have it built in but it doesnt look like thats going to happen.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
5 years?

If I were you, Id be more interested in getting the most bang for your buck regarding processor speed, DDR ram, etc than worrying about USB2! 5 years is a long time to expect your computer to last. You said yourself that USB wasnt even around 5 years ago. USB 2 is NOT really a big thing. Why stress about it? Apple is spending its time with major improvements, not minor things like that.

Besides, use firewire anyway. If anything keeps you from having a 'good' computer in 5 years, it will be processor and memory anyway, not USB 2.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
ok folks a dual 1.4 G4 with 2 GB of DDR and 240GB of HD 128MB DRR video card and faster super drive will be fine for the next 5 years.

but i want all the bells and whistles allready included so I dont have to worry about it at a later date. this will be the first mac i buy in a long time and i plan to get the most of it and not pay for extra crap that i mite need in the future

Thats why want firewire 2 and usb 2 included,
thats why i want a 2 button mouse included,
thats why I want faster PCI cards included
thats why I want a new case included
thats why I want Jagwire included

and if all that is included on the July Power Mac it will last me 5 years. and by then in 2007 we will be spreading rumors about the G7.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
thats fine man, but im planing on getting the PM this summer and want to keep it for 5 years so i want to be able to forsee any future computer advancements and dont want to waste a PCI slot with USB 2.0.

5 years ago when i bought my present comp there was no USB. and it has sucked not having it. I'm getting USB 2.0 when I need it regardless, id just like to have it built in but it doesnt look like thats going to happen.

What do you have for a 5 year old system??? It's stupid to think that any computer today will have technology that is created over the next couple of years, or is a fledgling tech today. If you purchased a system with PCI slots, you can add USB in about 5 minutes (if not less).

So you consider using a PCI slot a waste... :rolleyes: That is what they are there for Bubba... to allow you to add interfaces or items that you want later, that are either not available today, or not put into the computer to begin with. Considering how it would be smarter for you to install the card later (when the tech has gained wider acceptance and proven it is here to stay) then to B&M over it not being present now.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
ok folks a dual 1.4 G4 with 2 GB of DDR and 240GB of HD 128MB DRR video card and faster super drive will be fine for the next 5 years.

but i want all the bells and whistles allready included so I dont have to worry about it at a later date. this will be the first mac i buy in a long time and i plan to get the most of it and not pay for extra crap that i mite need in the future

Thats why want firewire 2 and usb 2 included,
thats why i want a 2 button mouse included,
thats why I want faster PCI cards included
thats why I want a new case included
thats why I want Jagwire included

and if all that is included on the July Power Mac it will last me 5 years. and by then in 2007 we will be spreading rumors about the G7.

What the f*ck are you on???? What are you referring to with Jagwire... the new OS X is Jaguar "Code-named “Jaguar,”" as shown on Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/). What you THINK you need now, is not the same as what everyone else needs. If you want to add FireWire 2 when it comes out, get a damned PCI card... as for USB 2, get over it. FireWire 2 is going to leave it in the parking lot.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I would think that a person who is still using a computer from 5 years ago would know from personal experience that a computer five years old is NOT adequate for use.

Computers are made to be expandible, thats why open PCI slots are available. Why do you think they are there? For pretty? Listen dude, seriously. You CAN NOT predict what types of advancements are going to be made in the next 2 years, much less 5 years. Dont force yourself to BUY EVERYTHING now, because in a year or two, you'll be stuck. Allow yourself some flexibility. Get a nice computer, but be open to the possibility that you may have to upgrade/replace many parts of your computer over time.

By the way, its idiotic to think that technology is going to come to a standstill. The typical life of technology (before it is improved, upgraded, or outdated) nowadays is only 8 months. EIGHT MONTHS.

BTW, I dont know if this is true, but you sound like you are about 12 or 13

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
guys i know technology is going to advance, i know how old a 5 year old system is becuase i have one right now and i cant wait for a new one, but the point is it still works.

macs only have 4 PCI slots and im planning on filling the them up with a sound card, extra fans, serial ATA card, or whatever will come out that i mite need.

i know i can't predict the future but I hope to have this by July and we will see how much is going to be right.

I know we are all on here to discuss, argue and spread rumors about items we wish we could have and things we have that are now being surpassed.

ohh and i know its Jaguar and not Jagwire but I like the way Jagwire sounds plus Jobs calls it jagwire so im going with his take on it and not yours.

and you will see that USB 2.0 will be useful, if macs want to bridge the gap between them and PCs then they should encorporate PC technology just like PC have accepted Firewire.

i'll be fine with the system i described. when i buy a comp i go all the way and hang on to dear life. so if i have to spend 5 grand on then so be it. I'm a video editor and need all the power i can get.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I was going to let this one go, but you've done it twice:

It is spelled might, not mite.

Anyway, fine. Yeah, buy whatever you want. But if you want to be a better video editor, you should be buying/seriously upgrading new systems every 2 years. Honestly. A Dual 1gHz is over 4 times as fast as a 400mHz G4, which came out in September of '99. (2 and a half years ago). Not only is the processor faster, but the architecture is far superior to enhance the speed of the machine. So, we're talking about taking on twice the clients because your technology is working much better and your pipeline isnt clogged up with rendertimes.

Im not trying to jerk your chain, but if you want my advice, quit worrying about USB 2, especially since you are a video editor. Apple adopting USB2 isnt 'keeping up' with the PC market, it would be 'dumbing down' Apple's firewire system. Every single video camera right now has firewire output.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
grrrrrrrrrr i know all this stuff man.

but i'm not going to be editing on this computer, i just MIGHT want to use it for other things. what if digital cameras will adopt USB 2.0 then i could use it

i know USB 2.0 is trivial but id like it anyway, just in case i MITE need it, thats all im saying.

and if my editing really takes of then who knows maybe i'll get a g5 in jan. but for right now im getting set for a 5 year voyage and i want as much packed before i go off on my mac Odyssey.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
macs only have 4 PCI slots and im planning on filling the them up with a sound card, extra fans, serial ATA card, or whatever will come out that i mite need.

I still want to know what you are smoking... Extra fans in the PCI bus??? You have to be on something.

Ok, mite brain (you do realize how small mites are).

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
And you think those cards would work on a Mac because.....?

The first one lists no info for the power connector...and the second ones uses a molex connector, which would require some hardcore modifications to get to work.

And what makes you think that you need extra air circulation in the first place?

kevine

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

The first one lists no info for the power connector...and the second ones uses a molex connector, which would require some hardcore modifications to get to work.

And what makes you think that you need extra air circulation in the first place?

They work in Macs. The first one says IDE x 2, which are just the standard power plugs used in IDE hard drives. The second one shows a picture of this as well. Worse case scenario, simply get a pass through adapter for one of the drives, or splice into the power cables (internal drive cables that is).

On the other hand, I'm not sure this would be a good idea. The first one just blows are around inside the case, perhaps blowing hot air onto parts that otherwise wouldn't get hot.

The second one is an exhaust fan and has a higher chance of doing good, but again there's a risk that it might make things worse. If the computer is sealed in such a way that the standard fan lowers pressure inside the case, then the second fan could rob air from the airflow path of the original fan. I admit this is unlikely and easily rectified, but something worth considering.

The other thing worth considering is why you would need additional ventilation. I think it's worthwhile to assume that since the MacPlus, Apple has produced product after product with adequat ventilation, that there would be no need for additional ventilation, unless additional devices were to be installed inside the case exceeding the specs...in which case there's a good chance they would be exceeding the power consumption level as well, which makess any additional power drain (from the fans) something of a risk.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

There are USB 2 cards already out there for the Mac. USB 2 only works as 2 under OS X (for all the cards I have seen). Molex connectors are standard computer issue (present inside the desktops/towers), which means no modification. If the card requires a proprietary connection for additional power, it most likely would come with an adapter to connect to the 4 pin molex (same as used by your hard drive). I would imagine that the USB 2 cards would draw the power they needed from the PCI bus, since any device that needs additional power would have an AC adapter or power cord.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by agreenster
BTW, I dont know if this is true, but you sound like you are about 12 or 13

considering that most people here act worse than the 14-16 year olds that I mod....i dont think it matters :D :D :D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Okay, i'm trying hard to understand this. You say in one post that you don't want to pay for things you 'mite' need, and then you b&m for a dozen posts about how much you want USB 2, which you can provide no real need for but say you might need it in the future. I don't understand what you think USB2 is going to be good for! as was said, the only purpose for USB anymore is input devices, and perhaps printers, both of which need no speed boost. Do you know of any printer that can spit out pages faster than USB1 can send 'em? printer speed is generally capped by printer hardware, not USB. As for digital cameras, anything worth buying will be firewire equipped soon enough... And even digital cameras work well on USB1. the one we use takes maybe two seconds to transfer a 4mb memorystick to iPhoto.

Get a grip, tyleromeo. And don't tell Alphatech to suck anything ever again. i'll lay down some of my OWN whoopa$$...

:) have a nice day
paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.