Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
I've got a task of extracting three 'clips' from a dvd i've got, and i thought i'd nailed it all with Handbrake. However, there is a stumbling block i can't figure out...

for example

'Clip one' is really a quadruple-show when viewed in Dvdplayer - showing four clips simultaneously, with three in one half of the screen and one larger one in the other half... I can't seem to find a way of extracting them as i can view them i.e all showing at once. I've managed to get one of the three smaller clips - any clues?

Is there a piece of freeware out there that can show me the clip before i extract it, and is there a good avi to mpeg converter, or extractor as defined above that encodes to mpeg straight away? :confused: :confused: :confused:

CaPo

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
You can always do it the low-tech way; connect a DVD player's analog outputs to your DV device (camcorder, VTR or converter), then connect the DV device's Firewire output to your Mac. In FCP, set Device Control to "Non-Controllable Device" and use Capture Now. Or dub to DV tape and log & capture as normal.

-DH

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
I don't have access to the source files/hardware, hence i've been tasked with trying to recover the clips from the dvd, as the clips are needed for another presentation..

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
>>I don't have access to the source files/hardware, hence i've been tasked with trying to recover the clips from the dvd<<

If you have the DVD and a DVD player, the first method I outlined above will work.

-DH

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
You can always do it the low-tech way; connect a DVD player's analog outputs to your DV device (camcorder, VTR or converter), then connect the DV device's Firewire output to your Mac. In FCP, set Device Control to "Non-Controllable Device" and use Capture Now. Or dub to DV tape and log & capture as normal.

-DH

I've got the DVD player, just no Camcorder/VTR/Converter..

bimmzy

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
London
Assuming, that the DVD is not copy protected and that what you're doing is legal, the first thing you need to do is to extract the VTS(s) file(s) from the said DVD.

Next you'll need to covert the VTS(s) file(s) to something like QuickTime or DV.
Easily done with "MPEG Streamclip". So for example it should go:-
VTS file> open with> MPEG Streamclip> export> DV stream…. That’s the easy bit.

What you want to do next is more puzzling. Let me get this right. You want to take 4 images, moving or otherwise, on screen, in there own little boxes (assuming they're not part of any DVD menu), and convert them in to self contained clips of their very own? Yes?

This is possible, but it ain't gonna look pretty!
You're also going to need to be a bit of a whiz with programmes like Final Cut Pro/ Avid/ whatever, as you will need to zoom in and crop each of the images in turn to make them full screen.

The biggest image will look the best, simply because there's actually more picture information to display. The smallest image is going to look dreadful by the time you've zoomed in close enough.
Sadly this is all down to the TV system, and the limited number of lines available to display the images. Zoom in too close to any part of a picture and it will show all the pixilation inherent in the image.

Sorry I cant be more optimistic :(

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
The DVD isn't copy protected and is therefore legal..

What it is is there is a chapter on the dvd, that shows as 4-screens-in-one (like a running version of a normal dvd's chapter menu, where all 6-8 little videos are running at once.
In this case, the four videos are 4 clips of the same thing, but 3 being real video taken from different angles, and one being a 3d-modelled cad-style video. In the dvd menu, you can select the chapter, and a presentation will run. It runs as described above (4 little screens showing various angles of the same thing, with normal narration etc)

When i pulled all the 'pullable' chapters out using handbrake, i only managed to extract one of the four screens, so i was wondering if there is a way to extract the whole thing,so it shows as it does in the video...?

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004

-DH

I've tried doing this (even with non-copy protected stuff), and my video camera always displays a Macrovision error message. Any clue as to why?

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
DVD player connected via scart to EyeTV box, might do the trick

If that fails then you would get yourself a DVD Red PRO to use with dvd player and EyeTv.

You also need their scart box.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
Update!

After struggling for a few days, i finally got this to work in XP using a piece of shareware called Magic DVD rip :) - the problem was that the part i was trying to extract was 'written' into the dvd structure as a viewing angle, even though it actually showed as the main video coupled with 'live' triple angle views, non-selectable..

My question now is, is there a piece of share/freeware for OSX that can extract angle views of a DVD chapter?

CaPo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.