Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Don't we have to wait for April 5? A few hours and another day.

I wonder if anyone noticed when it happened in the real year 06, as opposed to 2006!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Stupid Time Curiosity

At two minutes, three seconds after 1:00a on Wednesday, the time will be 01:02:03 on 04/05/06.

[Moderator note: thread merged]

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Except if like most of the rest of world you put the day before the month... :p

Never understood the Yanqui way with dates. :confused:

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Blue Velvet said:
Except if like most of the rest of world you put the day before the month... :p

Never understood the Yanqui way with dates. :confused:

It's based on how people talk instead of numerical logic. Obviously, day-month-year makes more sense, but "four April" sounds silly compared to "April fourth."

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
miloblithe said:
It's based on how people talk instead of numerical logic. Obviously, day-month-year makes more sense, but "four April" sounds silly compared to "April fourth."

Even still, over here I think most people would say 'fourth of April'.

But that's not quite as confusing as my Dutch relatives referring to 6:30pm as 'half-seven'.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Blue Velvet said:
Even still, over here I think most people would say 'fourth of April'.

But that's not quite as confusing as my Dutch relatives referring to 6:30pm as 'half-seven'.

Right, but that's just one more reason that American workers are more productive than British ones, what with our two-word method of commmunicating dates compared to your cumbersome three- or four-word method (counting "the"). :)

well, it came, and it went, but i bagged me a screenshot

Attachments

• 123456-1.jpeg
    123456-1.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 81

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
miloblithe said:
Right, but that's just one more reason that American workers are more productive than British ones, what with our two-word method of commmunicating dates compared to your cumbersome three- or four-word method (counting "the"). :)
It's simply because we're really proud of the fact that we invented the language – we just like to show off by using as much of it as possible, as often as possible. :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
three dates stick in my head

while i was in middle school, one kid commented it was 7/7/77 and i thought that was neato

i saw a tv program about nostradamus and it claimed that the next big world war would happen on 7/7/99 and the day passed quietly into history

of course, i was excited when 1/1/2000 happened even though i knew the real date to switch over into the next millenia would be 1/1/2001 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.