Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sorkin_social_network-150x199.jpg
Sony Pictures today announced that Aaron Sorkin will indeed serve as the screenwriter for the studio's upcoming film adaptation of Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs. Sorkin, who is famous for his work on The West Wing, The Social Network, Moneyball, and A Few Good Men, noted late last year that he was "strongly considering" taking on the project.
Commenting on the announcement, [Sony Pictures Co-Chairman Amy] Pascal said, "Steve Jobs' story is unique: he was one of the most revolutionary and influential men not just of our time but of all time. There is no writer working in Hollywood today who is more capable of capturing such an extraordinary life for the screen than Aaron Sorkin; in his hands, we're confident that the film will be everything that Jobs himself was: captivating, entertaining, and polarizing."
Casting for the film has yet to be determined, but rumors have suggested that George Clooney and Noah Wyle may be in the running for the role of Jobs. Wyle portrayed Jobs in the 1999 made-for-TV film The Pirates of Silicon Valley, which focused on the early days of Jobs and Bill Gates.

The project is a completely separate effort from an independent film about Jobs that has Ashton Kutcher starring in the lead role. Just last week, Kutcher was spotted wearing Jobs' trademark wardrobe en route to the film's set, where filming is currently underway while Kutcher is on a break from his television show Two and a Half Men.

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin Confirmed as Screenwriter for Film Adaptation of Steve Jobs' Biography

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
Hopefully Noah Wyle gets the part. He played such a great Steve Jobs in Pirates of Silicon Valley. Clooney is great but I just feel like I'll be seeing Clooney giving keynotes in the movie, not Jobs. Wyle is a highly believable Jobs.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I don't understand why all the reports say Noah Wyle is in the running. He played him already and it was in a TV movie. He isn't a really big movie star and if a studio is going to pay for Aaron Sorkin then you know they are going to pay for a A-List actor who will sell tickets and get Oscar buzz.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
This is as good a choice for this film as there could be.

Frankly, he should treat this film exactly like he did with The Social Network. That is, take some artistic liberties for the sake of providing deeper character moments. Get the main purpose of the film right, but don't worry about the minute details.

And to the suggestion that Noah Wyle get the role: stop that noise. There is already a film with him as Jobs, and that was 13 years ago.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
He won't get the role, since he can't effectively play the earlier years of Jobs' life, but Stanley Tucci would be my ideal choice.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
There's something about that smile that's really bugging me...

Am I the only one who thinks that Sorkin looks like he needs his face kicked in?

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
There will be several Steve Jobs' in this movie. It does cover a pretty big span of time after all.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Actually, one actor I think that should play the role is Colin Hanks. Great actor, and can cover both the early and later years of Jobs' life without looking too hokey.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I really enjoyed Pirates of Silicon Valley. I look forward to a new film picking up where PoSV ended and delving into the iPod era and up to the present day.

adrianweller

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
I've been worried about the quality of this movie, but knowing Aaron Sorkin is involved, and with 'The Social Network' in mind, I feel a whole lot better about it.
Like a Macbook Air, there are many components to put together just right to be the movie it should be.

This movie has to be insanely great.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't understand why all the reports say Noah Wyle is in the running. He played him already and it was in a TV movie. He isn't a really big movie star and if a studio is going to pay for Aaron Sorkin then you know they are going to pay for a A-List actor who will sell tickets and get Oscar buzz.

Normally I would agree with you but this is Mother ****** Steve Jobs. They could put some barely name actor and it will make a fortune in the box office. Even though it will be dry and rather boring cause Sorkin isn't exactly known for his witty repartee etc.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Normally I would agree with you but this is Mother ****** Steve Jobs. They could put some barely name actor and it will make a fortune in the box office. Even though it will be dry and rather boring cause Sorkin isn't exactly known for his witty repartee etc.

That simply isn't true. I can all but guarantee that the Kutcher Jobs film will not make a fortune.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Can we get fast paced walk-and-talk scenes through Apple's Infinite Loop headquarters?

I'm actually pretty happy about Sorkin. The first two or three years of The West Wing were fantastic and The Social Network was pretty good considering (you have to remember it was based off the book, The Accidental Billionaires).

I feel like Steve and Apple's first years have been covered extensively. I would like to see a movie on the later years (return to Apple, iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc).

If you haven't seen The Pixar Story, it's worth watching also.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Hopefully this time he will remember to leave his crack pipe out of his carry-on when he heads up to Cupertino from Burbank.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I feel like Steve and Apple's first years have been covered extensively. I would like to see a movie on the later years (return to Apple, iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc).

I would too. Quite frankly, I have no interest in seeing Jobs during his hippy, drug years yelling about how amazing his organic diet is.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Don't get me wrong, while I think Jobs did some brilliant work... I think a movie about him would be kinda boring... That said, I though "The Social Network" would have been crap but apparently everyone loved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.