Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Someone brought me her MacBook Pro because her keyboard backlight is not working and she wanted me to replace the backlight.

I opened the bottom case and found the keyboard backlight socket is entire broken off the logic board and is being held in place by a piece of black tape.

I asked her who last serviced her laptop and she told me it was an AASP who changed the battery.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Someone brought me her MacBook Pro because her keyboard backlight is not working and she wanted me to replace the backlight.

I opened the bottom case and found the keyboard backlight socket is entire broken off the logic board and is being held in place by a piece of black tape.

I asked her who last serviced her laptop and she told me it was an AASP who changed the battery.

Are you charging her for this job? If you do then shouldn't you know your stuff?

If you don't then ask her to AASP for this!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

A nice story. Do you have a question enquiry or similar?? If not is there a point to this post??

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
So my original comment does apply.
Your original comment has no relevant to this topic, but I will answer it anyway.

I had the intention of charging her for the repair. And yes, I absolutely do know what I am doing.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Your original comment has no relevant to this topic, but I will answer it anyway.

I had the intention of charging her for the repair. And yes, I absolutely do know what I am doing.

How is my original comment not relevant to this topic? Your first post didn't ask anything (which I assume you wanted to know what to do next). I provided you two answers for two scenarios.

1) If you charge for this service then you should know your thing. You shouldn't be asking here.

2) If Apple did that then she would go back to Apple.

Since we know your intention now, you should know your thing to perform this service for a cost.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
How is my original comment not relevant to this topic? Your first post didn't ask anything (which I assume you wanted to know what to do next). I provided you two answers for two scenarios.

1) If you charge for this service then you should know your thing. You shouldn't be asking here.

2) If Apple did that then she would go back to Apple.

Since we know your intention now, you should know your thing to perform this service for a cost.

I do know "my thing". I have remove and replaced keyboards/backlights dozens of times.

What you talking about?
[doublepost=1460040145][/doublepost]
Then why exactly do you need us to tell you what to tell your customer?

Because Apple is probably going to tell her that it is not responsible and that she's going to have to pay to replace the logic board.

I actually opened the bottom case in front of her, so she knows that I am definitely not responsible.

Last edited:

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I do know "my thing". I have remove and replaced keyboards/backlights dozens of times.

What you talking about?

Again...
"Your first post didn't ask anything (which I assume you wanted to know what to do next)."
Since only you know which scenario you belong to because not many information were provided... hence i provided two answers for you.

Now I know you belong to scenario 1 then my reply is valid.
You are charging her for this service and shouldn't you know your thing? Why are you asking for help (which I assume because your lack of information in your first post)?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Again...
"Your first post didn't ask anything (which I assume you wanted to know what to do next)."
Since only you know which scenario you belong to because not many information were provided... hence i provided two answers for you.

Now I know you belong to scenario 1 then my reply is valid.
You are charging her for this service and shouldn't you know your thing? Why are you asking for help (which I assume because your lack of information in your first post)?

Of cause I was going to charge her to replace the keyboard backlight since that requires almost complete disassembly and reassembly of the laptop. That takes over an hour.

And as I have previously said, I have done that dozens of time, so I don't know why you think that I "don't know my thing".

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Of cause I was going to charge her to replace the keyboard backlight since that requires almost complete disassembly and reassembly of the laptop. That takes over an hour.

And as I have previously said, I have done that dozens of time, so I don't know why you think that I "don't know my thing".
Apparently gngan does not read english as primary language, so somehow took your first post as an admission that you had damaged your customer's laptop during a repair (and somehow assumed that YOU were charging your friend to fix something that was "your" fault), when, in fact, you said nothing of the sort.
There's a lot of posters on this forum that are not native english speakers, so that can happen sometimes.
I was also confused at your OP, when you did not initially ask a question in that post, but could understand that you did not know how to proceed at that time. I expect that you have discovered the "path".
I hope that others will also find their way :D

Reactions: tubeexperience

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Because Apple is probably going to tell her that it is not responsible and that she's going to have to pay to replace the logic board.

I really don't think there is any other option. If they do, she can push to speak with a manager.

I used to work at an AASP about 8 years ago. If I recall correctly we had a few instances of customers who weren't happy with our service(I think both cases had to do with smoke damage and we wouldn't perform the repair). They contacted Apple and an Apple representative contacted us to get our side of the story. I wasn't typically involved with that stuff so I don't know what happened from there, but I imagine Apple would still investigate and try to do right. After all, they're not in the business of pissing off customers.

I actually opened the bottom case in front of her, so she knows that I am definitely not responsible.

I trust that you didn't damage her laptop, but if you're not an AASP, Apple may think you or she caused it.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld

Did your original post state that you were to charge her? Nope. So I provided you an answer saying that you should know how to do it if you were to charge her.

Did your original post say that you’ve done that dozens of time? Nope. So I commented that you should know how to do it.

Apparently gngan does not read english as primary language, so somehow took your first post as an admission that you had damaged your customer's laptop during a repair (and somehow assumed that YOU were charging your friend to fix something that was "your" fault), when, in fact, you said nothing of the sort.
There's a lot of posters on this forum that are not native english speakers, so that can happen sometimes.
I was also confused at your OP, when you did not initially ask a question in that post, but could understand that you did not know how to proceed at that time. I expect that you have discovered the "path".
I hope that others will also find their way :D

I did not take OP’s first post as admission that he damaged the computer. Like you, I was confused at the first post because he didn’t ask a question but I get it as he doesn’t know how to proceed.

I wasn’t sure whether he is charging it or he is doing it for free because he never provided those information. Hence, I said if he were to charge it then he should know how to do it and shouldn’t be asking in the forum. If he aren’t charging it then he should ask the MBP owner to go back to Apple because it’s Apple’s fault.

Let's admit it that OP didn't provide enough information and I had to give him two suggestions for different scenarios. If OP were to start a thread with a question then I would of just said that that (1) he shouldn't be asking in the forum because he is charging for the service or (2) ask the owner to take it back to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.