Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

233916-abc_player_3g.jpg

Earlier today, we noted that ABC had updated its ABC Player application for the iPad to support video streaming over 3G networks and that the new version had been submitted to Apple for review.

Apple certainly didn't take long to look it over, however, as the updated version is now live in the App Store. In addition to 3G streaming, the new version brings a number of other improvements, notably including support for landscape orientation in all screens within the application.
This update includes improvements that you have asked for including:

- 3G streaming (requires a 3G capable device)
- Landscape orientation support for all screens
- Support for the iPad's orientation lock
- Updated player controls that are more responsive
- Improved display of parental ratings
- Numerous other bug fixes and stability enhancements
In order to support 3G streaming, ABC appears to have been required to add a lower-quality video stream for the system to default to when network performance demands it. In general, iPad users are experiencing lower quality video when streaming via 3G than via Wi-Fi, with different applications offering varying amounts of visible degradation on cellular networks. YouTube in particular has been cited as offering much poorer quality streams over 3G.

Article Link: 'ABC Player' Updated to Support 3G Streaming and Landscape Orientation

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This and some form of Apple TV sharing is probably the future of "TV". Store-forward, not streaming is the thing. A device with 32gb local storage is silly to use streaming. Especially for content that is not BOTH live and time-sensitive.

For that you can view live in low res while it is store-forwarding in the background for DVR like rewind and slo-mo in full res.

Rocketman

ernie.

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
I've always wondered why Flickr.com could stream clean, crisp video over 3G, while YouTube had pixelated, mess.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Wow, people still think there's a conspiracy huh? The iPhone youtube app also changed the quality over 3G, and so does Slingerplayer. They change it so that you aren't waiting forever for higher quality video to load and so that videos aren't continually interrupted to buffer more data.

Yet for some reason people think it's an Apple/AT&T conspiracy to keep users from using 3G data. Sorry kids, that's complete BS.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Wow, people still think there's a conspiracy huh? The iPhone youtube app also changed the quality over 3G, and so does Slingerplayer. They change it so that you aren't waiting forever for higher quality video to load and so that videos aren't continually interrupted to buffer more data.

Yet for some reason people think it's an Apple/AT&T conspiracy to keep users from using 3G data. Sorry kids, that's complete BS.

although thats true. It favors Apple/AT&T both ways.

Reducing the quality over 3G so you could watch the videos without waiting as much but also with people hating the quality people would just go on wifi to watch youtube videos which AT&T likes.

But I only wish Apple at lease gives us an option to choose if we want high or low quality on 3G. Maybe the reason they didn't give us this option is because of AT&T not wanting that.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I wish you AT&T would get rid of the "Unlimited" data plan and give it a sensible limit (e.g. 10GB). Then Apple could get rid of requiring the low quality video streams.

It would be your data allowance, for you to do what you want.

It doesn't make any sense to limit the quality of video in countries where there is a data usage limit on the service.

iPad plays great video when tethered to a jailbroken iPhone using MiWi, and also putting the 3G SIM card into a MiFi-style 3G-WiFi modem.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
They change it so that you aren't waiting forever for higher quality video to load and so that videos aren't continually interrupted to buffer more data.

This is incorrect. iPhone OS HTTP Live streaming downloads the first segments at low quality then requests high quality segments if they are transmitted fast enough.

It never does this on 3G due to Apple's restrictions.

PS: Netflix and ABC player give stunning quality without delay over 3G when using the MiWi iPhone app or a MiFi.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
This is incorrect. iPhone OS HTTP Live streaming downloads the first segments at low quality then requests high quality segments if they are transmitted fast enough.

It never does this on 3G due to Apple's restrictions.

PS: Netflix and ABC player give stunning quality without delay over 3G when using the MiWi iPhone app or a MiFi.

Actually, the MLB At Bat app does exactly what you described over 3G.

The video quality comes in a little degraded to start, but then is sharp as hell after a minute or two.

Why can't YouTube, ABC, NetFlix, whatever... do the same?

As an aside, has anybody used MLB At Bat video streaming over 3G on the iPad yet? Does it still work on the iPad as I described on the iPhone and offer much better quality than YouTube and NetFlix?

jjp007

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
TexASS
Amazing app!!! My Tivo cut off the first 30 minutes of Grey's and it was great to be able to watch it on the iPad! I can't wait for other channels to follow suit! love love love

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
So one of 5000-something iPad apps got an update. THIS CANT BE!!!! Call the fire department!

Not to poop in anybodys egg, but isnt this page 2 material?

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
So one of 5000-something iPad apps got an update. THIS CANT BE!!!! Call the fire department!

Poop in anyone's egg? What? XD

I'm guessing the popularity of the app makes it more worthy of front page.. Mmmm Lost.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo

This. And I don't care about the popularity of the app. Right now, in the US, a game called "Ow My Balls" is the most popular free app in the iPhone store. Should we get a page 1 story when it is updated?

Unless an app is rejected unfairly, it should never be on page 1, in my opinion.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
Poop in anyone's egg? What? XD

I dunno, it sounds kind of right, doesnt it? Its just something Im used to saying. Like, to step on somebodys toes, only its somebodys egg instead, and you poop in it. Not very nice, obviously. Hence, despite my criticism/ranting, I do not want to poop in anybodys egg.

I think this makes logical sense to me becasue I am always very picky about how I want my eggs done. An egg is something I hold very high, and when you get an egg right, its something to be proud of. (Im talking about those you cook whole, and I like the egg yolk to be a litte soft and juicy but not too liquid).

It seems, at least here in Norway, everybody has their own idea what is the perfect cooking time for their eggs, and just a few seconds too much or too little can ruin it all. Nobody wants to have their eggs messed with.

I hope this clears things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.