Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
Orange, CA
I'm not sure how it happened, but somewhere between school and home while my computer was in its case, the right front corner got bent upwards 1/4 of an inch. Everything still works and there are not dents, scratches or other marks. So maybe it's not a COMPLETE disaster. The problem is, it no longer can sit on a flat surface without rocking back and forth. It seems to be bent from the bottom right corner of the trackpad to the right-hand USB port, where the lock connector is. So, some sort of force must have been applied to the bottom right hand side of the case. I guess I'm lucky it didn't get applied to the top, because that would have taken out the screen for sure. Anyway, it looks as though it will be easy to bend it back and no one the wiser...but I don't know how to go about doing that. Has anybody else had this happen to them? How did you go about fixing it?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Very strange. I would suggest applying some force with your hands and see if it will bend at all. Don't push too hard, you don't want to break it. Perhaps you can pay Apple a small fee to get it repaired, or maybe it is even covered by AppleCare (doubt that...)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Small fee ... :confused:

Only if you consider $250 a small fee for the bottom case skin alone.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Interesting - mine managed to bend while sitting on an iCurve the vast majority of the time, while being transported in a hard case about three times during the pre-noticing-bend period.

I'd say get it Applecared. No laptop should 'just bend'.

jsd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
Orange, CA
Yes, I think I'll try Applecare first. It makes me long for the days of the original iBook G3. That sucker could take some abuse. I have one running OS X that looks like it was bought yesterday, but it's getting way too slow. I would like to see Apple build a hardened laptop and add it to their line, like a Toughbook. I'm sure they could come up with some innovations on the concept, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who could benefit from it, like field photographers, soldiers and filmmakers on location.

I was thinking of trying to put a flat piece of wood on top and weight it down, but I'm worried that I would damage the trackpad button, plus metal might need to be "overbent" to get back into shape, but I don't really know.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Unless you bang it around, all you need is a properly built notebook, not a ruggedised one - something that Apple seems to be unable to deliver right now.

I honestly find it staggering that so many people are gullible enough to sing the praises of a machine which has to be babied in order to be halfway dependable, deforms in normal use and gives you shocks - all because it looks sleek.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.