Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melanienj

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2016
Go to finder in File up top hit new smart folder. Then Search downloads and you will see the download folder come up select and it will add to finder. Then add to dock. This may have been resolved but this is how I did it and it was easy.

THIS WORKS! I was in tears because I sent my downloads folder to the trash and then emptied it by accident. I do not have an external drive or have my computer backed up. I could not locate my folder anywhere and then I read this response and I was able to recover it! Thank you for such a simple solution!

struhy_xd

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2018
Dock (bottom of the screen) -> Finder -> Go (Top of the screen) -> Computer (Shift+Command+C) -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> Admin (in my case. Sorry for you if you are only guest) -> drag Downloads to the side bar. From there you can R-click add it to the dock. When added you can retrieve viewing style by R-clicking it and selecting what you like in section "Display content as"

Thank me later

helpmelol7

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
hey I tried all these things but none worked. When I open my user folder there are: Applications and the other basic folders, but instead of the downloads folder is an alias. When I try to open or fix it it says "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Downloads” can’t be found."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.