Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
Do you think chown root:wheel would suffice for booting and stripping the files out?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm sorry I'm late to the party, but for future readers that may do something like this:

You can start your Mac in target disk mode by holding down the T key during bootup. Now you can just mount your broken computer as a hard disk to another computer, pull the important files and then restart while holding down Cmd-Opt-R to force internet recovery ( as long as your Mac is about 2011 or newer ). This will restore your mac to its factory OS and look.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
It doesn't sound like he has access to another Mac, is on the road, and just needs emergency access to the files.

I didn't realize Finder > Trash mangled the permissions, though, I thought it only changed ownership. I need to experiment with this when I get my MacBook back from repair to see how badly it messes things up.

ArutorCortex

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2020
I got the same problem of placing the private files in the trash. The computer automatically changed its date/time and once I tried to log in once again it would not accept the passwords I entered, regardless of rewriting the password using shift+R.

However my computer does not have space enough to reinstall macOS. Ill try to use an external hard drive to install it and see if I can put back all files I intially placed in my trash.

GoldenFlower

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2021
Heyy,

Can anyone explain how exactly to fix this issue. I deleted a file in the private folder, and as the writer of this topic said, I can’t start my macbook.

When pressing command R I see the option to install mac os but I aint got enough space for this installation. I have no idea how it works with terminal or external discs, but I have an seagate 500 gb hard disc (in case something can be done with that). Any help is welcome. I have online classes again Thursday :( And some important files there which I would like to recover. Thank you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
An old thread, which I will place under "ignore" as soon as I type this.

But the thread illustrates why one should NEVER delete "private" folders...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.