Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
i replaced my old router with a new one, from Linksys, because i wanted wireless connection for my ibook. the plug-n play works perfectally fine, and the my ibook detected "linksys" on the network and connected fine.

however, i wanted to customize my router. so i inserted the cd into my PC which is also in the network, and went through the setup. however, in the middle of the process the program shuts down. after that i thought to myself: "i don't want to tinker with this anymore. i want it to be just as it is when it came out of the box. so, i held down the reset button, and now the power LED keeps on blinking, and my ibook cannot detect the Linksys signal anymore.

the router now thinks it's a wired router with 4 ports! why? because on my wired PC, i can still access the net, and when i plugged my ethernet cable into my ibook and linksys, it works ok. however, the power LED keeps flashing.

i looked it up, and it it said that it means that the firmwire isn't loaded correctly and i have download some weird file from their download section. i downloaded it, and ran it, the program that is supposed to upgrade my linksys router detected it, but it said that it is not responding and it cannot update it. now i have the same wired stupid connection that i had on my old router! HELP! i tried the support center at http://www.linksys.com, but their live chat dosen't work, and their help dosen't work.

BTW, the model is WRT54G.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
steelfist said:
i replaced my old router with a new one, from Linksys, because i wanted wireless connection for my ibook. the plug-n play works perfectally fine, and the my ibook detected "linksys" on the network and connected fine.

however, i wanted to customize my router. so i inserted the cd into my PC which is also in the network, and went through the setup. however, in the middle of the process the program shuts down. after that i thought to myself: "i don't want to tinker with this anymore. i want it to be just as it is when it came out of the box. so, i held down the reset button, and now the power LED keeps on blinking, and my ibook cannot detect the Linksys signal anymore.

the router now thinks it's a wired router with 4 ports! why? because on my wired PC, i can still access the net, and when i plugged my ethernet cable into my ibook and linksys, it works ok. however, the power LED keeps flashing.

i looked it up, and it it said that it means that the firmwire isn't loaded correctly and i have download some weird file from their download section. i downloaded it, and ran it, the program that is supposed to upgrade my linksys router detected it, but it said that it is not responding and it cannot update it. now i have the same wired stupid connection that i had on my old router! HELP! i tried the support center at http://www.linksys.com, but their live chat dosen't work, and their help dosen't work.

BTW, the model is WRT54G.

Connect your Mac to the router.

In safari, enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar

It should ask for a password, the default one is: admin

You will then be in the router setup screen, and you can see if the wireless capability is turned on and/or reset the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.