Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Damned, now I'm hit by one of the problems as well!

Earlier just now the mini froze up (just froze) so I restarted it.. and surprise surprise... no sound! No start up chime, no speaker icon in the menu bar, no sound devices in system profiler.

From time to time I hear some popping sounds emitted by my still connected speakers though, what could be the cause?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Crazy. Maybe shut the machine down for an hour or two with all cables unplugged. This should have the double effect of both resetting the SMC and letting everything cool off. When you're reconnecting everything, put the power cable back in first. The rest of the cables can be installed in whatever sequence pleases.

If that doesn't get anywhere, then I guess a PRAM reset may help too. :)

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I tried the PRAM reset actually, got me as far as my attempts to enter single user mode :mad: (hint: no where)

Somehow this machine seems like it is dying all of a sudden lol

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, it seems that way. Is there any way you can use an Apple keyboard for a while though? I've got a feeling it's the keyboard's fault you're not getting into Single User Mode and the PRAM reset isn't happening. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.