Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I am running El Capitan on both our Mac server and Mac Workstations. Both are connected to Active directory and OD (server is running OD). Right now I have it set so a user logs in using their ACTIVE DIRECTORY login info and the HOME is linked to their Active Directory home. However, There is no way to save to this from any app as you cannot select home. Is there a script that I can use with ELCAPITAN to symbolic link the users home folder to their DOCUMENTS on Active Directory so they can save to DOCUMENTS on MAC and it saves to their home folder on Active directory?

I have been trying to get this to work for a while now and found some scripts online. All of them just give errors about the keychain or needing to fix some permissions. But the script never works correct.

Any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks....

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I personally would try to train users to navigate to the network home folder as-is. Otherwise you're looking at 1) dealing with Mobile Accounts (in AD you'd set a Profile Path rather than Home Path), or 2) tweaking every OS X user profile. Either way it's a bag of hurt.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
I use the following script converted to an App using Platypus and then run at user login.

chmod -R -N ~/Documents
chmod -R -N ~/Desktop
chmod -R -N ~/Movies
chmod -R -N ~/Music
chmod -R -N ~/Pictures
rm -rf ~/Documents
rm -rf ~/Desktop
rm -rf ~/Movies
rm -rf ~/Music
rm -rf ~/Pictures
mkdir "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents"
ln -s "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents" ~/Documents
mkdir "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/Desktop"
ln -s "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/Desktop" ~/Desktop
mkdir "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents/My Music"
ln -s "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents/My Music" ~/Music
mkdir "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents/My Pictures"
ln -s "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents/My Pictures" ~/Pictures
mkdir "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents/My Videos"
ln -s "/Volumes/Homes/$USER/My Documents/My Videos" ~/Movies
killall Finder
osascript -e "set Volume 0"

I also use another script / launch daemon to delete all local AD accounts/profiles on boot at the login screen.

I also have another script that on boot copies a user profile layout i have defined to the local Default User Template so when an AD user logs in the IT Labs they get it all set as we require, giving the users a consistent setup no matter which Mac they login.

We don't use mobile accounts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.