Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cballrthal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Why does Apple ship the flat screens with ADC and the PowerBooks with DVI?

The previous line of flat screens had DVI.
Does anybody know where I can buy one of these? Probably cheaper at this point and I wouldn't have to buy an adapter.

Is there a big quality difference between ADC and DVI?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: ADC vs DVI connections

Originally posted by cballrthal
Why does Apple ship the flat screens with ADC and the PowerBooks with DVI?

i think in the slim profile of powerbooks, there's no space to consolidate the DVI/USB/Power Supply into one ADC... hence DVI only...

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Ok, so this is a little off topic

Sorry for getting a little OT, but I'm having a bit of a problem with my ADC 17" CRT Monitor that maybe somebody here can help with.

I've got a new desk with a CPU drawer and the way it works out (and unfortunately I can't rearrange things) is my monitor cable is about 3 feet short of connecting to the CPU inside the drawer. So I called my local mac store and they hooked me up with a 10 foot extention cable (way more than I needed) from Dr. Bott. But after several attempts to get my monitor working I found out that these cables only work for LCD screens because the power demands of the LCD are much less than my clunky old CRT monitor. I've looked everywhere for a cable that would work with my CRT monitor and came up with squat; I even suggested an ADC -> DVI cable then hooking that up to DVI -> ADC converter to get the extra length I needed, but the store didn't think that would work.

Is there anybody out there who knows how to extend the ADC connection on the CRT's? :confused: I'd appreciate the help!

Raid

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Re: Re: ADC vs DVI connections

Originally posted by jxyama
i think in the slim profile of powerbooks, there's no space to consolidate the DVI/USB/Power Supply into one ADC... hence DVI only...

Plus it would be difficult to power the monitor using the battery... ;)

Seriously, the DVI is a growing standard, so the PB can easily be plugged in to third-party projectors for presentations, and other similar uses.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Re: Re: Re: ADC vs DVI connections

Originally posted by szark
Plus it would be difficult to power the monitor using the battery... ;)

Seriously, the DVI is a growing standard, so the PB can easily be plugged in to third-party projectors for presentations, and other similar uses.

You hit the nail on the head... it would be freak'n stupid to power a 23" studio display with a powerbook. I really hate the Apple ADC standard... I really don't think it supports USB 2.0 either, way to go Apple. The DVI to ADC converter fell in price $50 to $99, so maybe Apple is discounting it to get rid of it...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...faNQj2szcXyayrAzSLQl/1.5.0.5.14.0.5.2.1?53,14

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I think a better idea as far as monitor solutions go is for all monitor ports on the PowerBook, iBook, and Power Mac to be DVI. Desktop machines can come with another port on the back for plugging the Apple display's power/USB into. The monitor will have separate ports for power/USB and monitor signal. That way, you can just plug it into a power outlet if you're using a notebook WITHOUT an expensive adapter.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I think a better idea as far as monitor solutions go is for all monitor ports on the PowerBook, iBook, and Power Mac to be DVI. Desktop machines can come with another port on the back for plugging the Apple display's power/USB into. The monitor will have separate ports for power/USB and monitor signal. That way, you can just plug it into a power outlet if you're using a notebook WITHOUT an expensive adapter.

ummm, powerbooks are dvi, and powermacs do have both dvi and adc. ibook is vga with some adapter thingie

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
What I'm saying is that there should be two ports on the back of the Apple display: one for DVI and the other one that just carries power and USB.

I knew about the PBs having DVI, as well as about the desktop machines having it. The problem is that the PBs require an expensive adapter to be able to use the display, which I think is criminal.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
What I'm saying is that there should be two ports on the back of the Apple display: one for DVI and the other one that just carries power and USB.

I knew about the PBs having DVI, as well as about the desktop machines having it. The problem is that the PBs require an expensive adapter to be able to use the display, which I think is criminal.

I completely agree. I actually don't like Apple Studio displays since they don't have DVI inputs... actually most LCD manufacturers have dual inputs, DVI and VGA... very handy.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i personally love the adc standard. it is one less cable on my desk and i dont waster a plug in on my surge protector. if i want to to use it on a powerbook or my pc, i just use apple coverter box, simple as that.

iJon

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
ADC would be good if it were a standard. The thing is that it would be the logical thing to do - which is why the pc world will never standardize it.
Really, ADC wouldn't be so bad if it were easier to get things for it, saaaay like extension cables ........

AngryAngel

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
I think ADC is form over function.

Apple have tried in the past several times to make a new monitor connection- various ones for old powerbooks, the wierd one on 6100's, as well as the long-living connector that was standard on the Mac up until the B&W G3.

It is a bad idea to intergrate a connection standard like USB into another connector, as we have seen by the USB2 problem.

It is a bad idea to integrate the power into the cable, because different monitors have varing power requirements- which is why the OP is having trouble with the Dr. Bott extension.

It also creates headaches for video card manufacturers who need to make special Mac versions of their cards (or even more special than they otherwise would have to be). Anything that discourages video card manufacturers supporting the Mac is a bad thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.