Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VictoryHighway

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hopedale, MA
Greetings,
My sister got an Apple TV for Christmas and I've been trying to set it up, but ran into a problem. The Homekit "home is associated with my Apple ID, but I want her Apple TV to be associated with her Apple ID. When I tried to add the Apple TV to Homekit, it created a separate "home" associated with my sister's Apple ID. I want her new Apple TV to be associated with the existing Homekit home which is associated with my Apple ID. Is it possible to do what I want? If so, how?

Regards,
Geoffrey

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
An accessory cannot be part of two homes at the same time.
Remember the Apple TV now has multiple user accounts of sorts so connect it to your home, but don't sign into your accounts, she then sets up her user on Apple TV and provides her apple id, for photos etc. I don't have access to my shared Apple TV just now, but think this is what you're trying to do as in give her access to your home/homekit, but not your apple accounts?
& have you already allowed your sister access to your home account in the home app on iPhone/Pad?

So to summarise;
  1. if you want it as a standalone apple tv with no access to your home, only she sets it up and can't control the accessories in your home
  2. If you want to give her access to your home kit accessories but not your apple id, set up both yours and her accounts on the apple tv, but sign out of your apple id for audio/video/purchases on the apple tv
  3. if you have family sharing set up go into your account on the iPhone/Pad & check/uncheck what others have access to.

Last edited:

VictoryHighway

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hopedale, MA
An accessory cannot be part of two homes at the same time.
Remember the Apple TV now has multiple user accounts of sorts so connect it to your home, but don't sign into your accounts, she then sets up her user on Apple TV and provides her apple id, for photos etc. I don't have access to my shared Apple TV just now, but think this is what you're trying to do as in give her access to your home/homekit, but not your apple accounts?
& have you already allowed your sister access to your home account in the home app on iPhone/Pad?

So to summarise;
  1. if you want it as a standalone apple tv with no access to your home, only she sets it up and can't control the accessories in your home
  2. If you want to give her access to your home kit accessories but not your apple id, set up both yours and her accounts on the apple tv, but sign out of your apple id for audio/video/purchases on the apple tv
  3. if you have family sharing set up go into your account on the iPhone/Pad & check/uncheck what others have access to.
Thanks. I'll try that. For what it's worth, her Apple ID does have access to my Homekit "home".

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
Yeah, I have this same issue whenever I try to add a HomePod or Apple TV, even though I'm an admin of the home and it says I can add and edit accessories and people.
It only works if the home owner sets up the HomePod or ATV, while I would expect that even I, as a home admin, should be able to set it up in the same home, but instead it creates a new home.

It's honestly quite stupid. Most people don't live alone, and people should be allowed to add their own devices, if they have the permissions, without needing to use someone else's device, account, or have them show up in ATV users if its a personal device, eg an ATV in a study/bedroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.