Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
In After Effects How can I fake a camera movement to a still photo. I know i must have the photo larger than the comp size. Then can I just use scale or should i use a camera and do it? People mentioned something about the wiggler tool for randomness im not to sure. Any help would be great.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Just use keyframes and change the scale and/or position values. Unless you have access to a specialized camera setup designed to pan & zoom on stills doing it in software can provide smoother results.

Lethal

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Final Cut vs. After Effects

I haven't used After Effects since Ver.2.

You can do this in Final Cut Pro fairly easily.

I've only used it a few times and I'm not at the office to give you step by step, but it can be done.

Even iMovie can do it to some extent with the Ken Burns Effects.

Click and drag the photo to where you want the movement to start with the start button checked in the effects control window. (I'm not sure whcih to do first, but) Move the photo/change the zoom level and click the end button. Let it render and then play it to see if you like it.

Hey Lethal, that sound about right?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Espnetboy3 said:
People mentioned something about the wiggler tool for randomness im not to sure. Any help would be great.
Trish Meyer wrote a tutorial on this very thing:

http://www.dv.com/columns/columns_item.jhtml?category=Motion+Graphics&subGenre=&articleId=23902972

It's in the June 2003 Motion Graphics feature at dv.com.

More Motion, Less Control

Most of you are probably familiar with the concept of using a camera to pan and zoom around still images. Used to great effect by Ken Burns in his documentary on the Civil War, it's a great trick for any occasion when you don't have moving video for a scene. You can simulate camera pan and zoom by animating the position of a still image in virtually any compositing or video editing program. However, there are a number of refinements that can make your life easier and the end result more realistic...

Wobbling 104

To bring more humanity to your moves, add a slight wobble to the path the camera follows. We've found this is an essential technique when we're trying to blend a motion control move done in After Effects with handheld camera moves, or even those done on a traditional motion control rig...
Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.