Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I need to add some codecs to my QT to play some files and I have DL'ed them and all i get is a file on my desktop that has a .sit extension can anyone help me get it on my qt?! :confused:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
wrxguy said:
I need to add some codecs to my QT to play some files and I have DL'ed them and all i get is a file on my desktop that has a .sit extension can anyone help me get it on my qt?! :confused:

.sit files are compressed files for downloading, double-clicking should bring up Stuffit Expander, which is installed as part of your system, if it doesn't launch, go to the Utilities folder in you Applications folder and look for Stuffit Expander, launch that and open the file.

You should get either an installer which will put the files in the right place or simply the codec file which should go into the Quicktime folder in your main Library.

You may need to restart, but I doubt it.

wangahrah

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2001
You also might be interested in VLC to play your files. QT does .mov files good, but if you're playing divx or .avi sort of stuff, I like it a lot more. You can see what you like, and if you decide to use VLC you can right click (or control click) on the file, hit get info, and change "Open With" to VLC, and change all if you so desire.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.