Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stronghand

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
So Cal
to add:
defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem 1

to remove:
defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem 0

King Crimson

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2004
OnyX

Check out OnyX, this app adds the QUIT command to the finder and also does other cool stuff :D

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
AmigoMac said:
Why would one need the quit option in finder? :confused:

Especially on slow computers, you don't need the Finder running while browsing, or sending email.

I quit the Finder when I play games like Halo, or when using VPC. There's no point in having it running taking up system resources.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
musicpyrite said:
Especially on slow computers, you don't need the Finder running while browsing, or sending email.

I quit the Finder when I play games like Halo, or when using VPC. There's no point in having it running taking up system resources.

Worried for 0,5% while idle??? I can understand ... No I can't, but I can imagine that some people get bothered because of the little arrow under the icon the whole time :rollleyes: ...

I just tried the quit option in finder and followed every single process and the only change as before said, was the little arrow under the icon, yeah, I know there are people running Photoshop with Panther in an iMac G3 233 MHz ;)

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Let me guess, you reopen it by clicking it's icon on the Dock? Why did I post this? I know it's obvious, but if I'm gonna do it, I want to know how to reverse it.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
AmigoMac said:
Worried for 0,5% while idle??? I can understand ... No I can't, but I can imagine that some people get bothered because of the little arrow under the icon the whole time :rollleyes: ...

Well, there's also the issue of memory. I'm (unfortunately) using windows, but quitting explorer frees up about 20megs of the sytem memory. I only have 384, but I have shared video memory of 48megs. So its not just the CPU time, as you say, but also the memory.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
AmigoMac said:
Worried for 0,5% while idle??? I can understand ... No I can't, but I can imagine that some people get bothered because of the little arrow under the icon the whole time :rollleyes:

Some people also use Finder replacements such as Path Finder :rolleyes:

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
no idea that such a program existed... pathfinder, can you get rid off the finder icon in the dock once is disabled? if yes, what happen when you restart the computer? do you need to do the whole process again? does pathfinder it for you?

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
jdechko said:
Well, there's also the issue of memory. I'm (unfortunately) using windows, but quitting explorer frees up about 20megs of the sytem memory. I only have 384, but I have shared video memory of 48megs. So its not just the CPU time, as you say, but also the memory.

Disabling the finder gives me 4 MB free...

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
kingjr3 said:
Some people also use Finder replacements such as Path Finder :rolleyes:

I use the Terminal when I have my Finder quit, since I almost always have it open.

And quitting the Finder when your on a G4 iMac with 256MB RAM while running Photoshop does make a noticeable difference in speed.... some of us don't have enough moeny to buy 512 or 1GB of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.