Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I do a lot with my 15" 1.25PB, so when I'm on the road, wether it be gaming, or video/picture editing, my Mac is always in high gear (and with a tune always going in the background). So I end up falling into those "lucky to get over 2 hours on my battery" kinda guys.

Another battery sounds like the way to go, except that Apple, and the few other people I've seen, all charge $130 or MORE for another battery of the same quality. This seems insane!

Does anying know of a source for cheaper PB batteries (used is fine!) or are there rumors of a possible $130 battery that maybe lasts twice as long (though 3x sounds more like it) to make it worth the cost?

Tyler
Earendil

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
i think your search is in vain. if you think that price ($130 for a PB 15" battery) is insane, i think you probably just don't know anything about laptop batteries. laptop batteries are, and always have been, generally pretty expensive--even ones for cheap dell laptops are over $100.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'd suggest doing a Google search. I think you'll find Apple's prices aren't any worse than most other vendors, and considerablly better than some. When I had my Dell, I went looking to beat their battery prices (~ $130). Best I was able to find was still a bit over $100.

If you want to see truly insane battery prices, check out Sony! They're up in the $300 range.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I do not think they are insane comparatively. Like I said, I looked, and I found that most were priced in the $130 range. What I think is insane is that someone thinks that another battery is WORTH $130, I mean, that is pushing it. Of course being a poor student may have something to do with it...

I once saw a guy on eBay claiming to be a Hardware repair shop (though he sounded like a PC guy). He was auctioning off a bunch of batteries for the previous model (non FW800). I asked him about ones for my own model, and he said he didn't have those, and that the ones he had were a one time deal for their shop. He didn't know if or when they'd ever find something like that again. Those were going on eBay as a buy-it-now for $60 or so, which makes me think there are sources out there where one could pick up another battery. May be used, may have no warranty, may even die after a couple hundred hours of use. But if I could get a battery like that for $40-$60, I'd buy it. Only needs to be a back-up anyway, not the primary workhorse.

Anyone manage a deal like this with anyone? common sources? Mac Repair shops perhaps?

Tyler
Earendil

ps
I'll be a student traveling Central America solo in a few months. PB is going with, and I don't foresee a lot of plug-in time happening. A spare battery will come in especially handy then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.