Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
When I open up my address book, there is nothing there now. I've tried restoring both the Addressbook.data.previous and also taking both Addressbook.data and Addressbook.data.previous from my backup on my Mybook and there is nothing there.

Why would this happen and is there anything I can do about it at this point? It was fine just yesterday. Thanks.

Update: They are gone from .mac also.

Update 2: I tried to synch them back on with my Motorola phone and it wiped the phone's address book. Now I'm really getting ticked. Is it this .mac synch that is doing it?

Update 3: I went to my Macbook and printed them out (as an insurance policy), backed it up, then disabled .mac synching, synched the phone to it, and it wiped those out too. Shouldn't it be adding to each one instead of just wiping them out? This used to work just fine and I don't know what has changed, but it is consuming way too much time. I went back to my Mac Pro, added a test address, used iSync, and it didn't add to my phone (but at least it didn't wipe out the test address). Foolishness...

Update 4: Whatever I add to the phone now shows up in my address book, but not vice versa.

artofboredom

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
I am having the same exact problem. It started happening right after I setup a Time Machine hd.

UPDATE: I got my address book back doing the following. Please back up everything in the AddressBook folder first in case it doesn't work.

Replace the AddressBook.data file with the .previous file.
Delete every file and folder except the new AddressBook.data and the images folder.
Open Address Book. Your contacts should be back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.