Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terlga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Cardiff UK
When I first open safari and type in a url It automatically changes the url to my servers web page, I have cleared all cookies but this does not help,
how do I stop this.
Hope someone can help,
Terry

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
If the preferences doesn't have a url set, you probably have a default set in your global internet preferences. ISP's often set this when you sign up for service. You have several choices:

(1) Reset the homepage in your internet preferences. This is in one of the preferences panels, I forget which one.

(2) Type a new start page in the preferences for Safari. This is useful if you often start from a particular page.

(3) I believe there's a preference in Safari as to whether to start each new window with a blank url or your start page. I'll look to see how to set this when I get home. (Office computer is windows :(

-D

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
There are some isp's that will redirect whatever your first web query is to their homepage. bastards. If there is no preference set in either the safari or global preferences then i would guess this is a strong possibility for you. not a lot you can do... you could always block their webservers ip... but that may be a pain if you ever want to visit their page by choice.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Ok, here's what you have to do.

Under the Safari Menu, choose Preferences. Click on the General button at the top left.

You can fill in a home page here if you like. Or, you can select the pop-up menu next to "New windows open with:" and choose "Blank Page."

-D

tshrtkng

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Searching in the Address Bar

If he is having the same problem as I am, it is actually when I try to do a search in the address bar or miss-spell a URL.

In my case it defaults to the VERIZON search page which pardon my language sucks!

Im looking to change the default to Google, Yahoo or anything but verzion.

GOT ANY IDEAS???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.