Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tclare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
I have recently installed adium on my macbook after all the rave reviews i have seen. I set my msn account fine but when ever i start talking to somebody adium instantly crashes. The only thing i can think that is causing this, is that my e-mail address is not hotmail. I use my gmail account on msn with a internet passport. Does anyone know how i can remedy the problem?

Tclare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
So does anyone else have any other suggestions. Maybe i set up my account wrong. All i did was enter in my e-mail address and password. Do i need to change any other settings.

hoggdogg

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2004
Colorado, USA
I have recently installed adium on my macbook after all the rave reviews i have seen. I set my msn account fine but when ever i start talking to somebody adium instantly crashes. The only thing i can think that is causing this, is that my e-mail address is not hotmail. I use my gmail account on msn with a internet passport. Does anyone know how i can remedy the problem?

Adium doesn't like you to have MSN (or other messenging programs) open while you are using it... maybe that's your problem? :rolleyes:

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Did you install one of the beta versions or the normal release? If you did install the beta, try the release. If you installed the release, try the beta.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you're seeing more than occasional crashes though, then something is wrong. Even the current Adium Beta is not so unstable that it crashes every time you try to have an MSN conversation -- I have them on it all the time.

If you're patient, perhaps try closing Adium, deleting it, deleting the ~/library/application support/adium 2.0/ directory, and then re-installing Adium. Perhaps you have some corrupt preference files or something like that.

You could also peruse the known bug list, but I tend to doubt this is an actual Adium bug, as so many people here use Adium and others don't seem to be experiencing this. What I mean is that it's not a systematic problem of Adium, but something unique to a bad file, etc, on your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.