Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did It Work For You?

• I didn’t try

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want fries...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ryonzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Hi guys I don’t know much about fourms or what I can give out without a big backlash of why I handed this information out (because you know theifs!) but I wanted to tell people about this thing I found that allowed me to make my own user account that had Administrative privileges without Single-User Mode....

So here’s the deal I’m currently in year 10 and I live in Australia (or grade 10 for you States people ). My best friend just left school to become a carpenter. So going about a year back he was given a MacBook Air for school purposes (so No Admin, No iMessages, No FaceTime and an EFI Firmware Password). He gave the MacBook to me literally tonight to take a look at and I was so disappointed to find that Command-S didn’t work and holding Option prompted me with a lock icon and a password bar (so a Firmware lock)... So I went into researching, what I found whilst doing so was nothing, absolutely NOTHING! (Other then go to Apple or go to the place he got it from aka school)

More story! I apparently screwed up the date and time after removing the battery connector making surfing the web litterally impossible because the current certificates are obviously invalid since the 01/01/2014 isn’t 31/12/2017 (or 12/31/2017 for the US). So as I was saying I made the MacBook Air a brick... And what’s more fun I didn’t have admin to force sync an update with the time servers... So I was surfing the internet for a fix so at least my mate could use the internet and to my suprise I found a fix! Running the commands:
security authorizationdb write system.preferences allow
and
security authorizationdb write system.preferences.timedate allow
I had gained access to editing the Date & Time settings in Control Panel to change the Timezone to Cupertino and back to Sydney (which synced to the time servers for my location).

More Story! After seeing this command unlock the usually locked padlock icon in the lower left corner of the screen I was intrigued into what else the security command could do... so I looked around online to see a list of things that command could edit without sudo.. I was surprised to what I found...

———————————————
Resolution:

So yes I made my new years resolution (last year) happen to hack both Mac and Windows! But without further adu this is how I did it on macOS Sierra with a Firmware Lock and a Non-Admin user account.

Step 1: Find the Spotlight icon (Top right hand corner of your Mac)

Step 2: Find and open Terminal

Step 3: Type:
‘security authorizationdb write system.preferences allow’ then hit Enter

Step 4: Type:
‘security authorizationdb write system.preferences.accounts allow’
then hit Enter

Step 5: Open Control Panel and then navigate to User & Account Control

Step 6: Press the plus icon in the bottom left hand

Step 7: Type a Name, Username, Password (Optional), Hint (Required it Password is present) and then press Enter

Step 8: Log Out

Step 9: Volla! There’s Your Brand New Account with Admin Privlages!

Step 10: Log In and enjoy!

Thanks for reading guys and ask me if you need help with anything else.. I’m still working on the Firmware Lock but after having admin I’m pretty sure it’s easy to remove the lock!

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Without trying any of this out, I'm gonna say I'm dubious at best. If nothing else than because step 7 talks about the ability to create a new admin account, yet the New Account Selector (Administrator|Standard|Managed with Parental Controls|Sharing Only) needs to be set to Admin in order to create an administrator account. o_O

In addition, I'm also thinking that the account you started with already had more permissions than usual if you were able to 'bypass' the security this way.

I've not got a spare disposable MacBook to fritz with, but until more independent confirmation is provided I'm gonna class this as 'shenanigans'.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.