Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Hi, I am using Adobe Acrobat Professional for the Mac v9 and am so fed up with it. Every time Adobe issue an update, it wont install, because their updater things i have changed something or other and I have to install from Scratch and work through all updates and they need to be installed sequentially.

All I have done is use the b****y programme

Has anyone got an alternative that they can recommend?

Cheers

A

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Preview. Comes with your Mac too, so it's cheap.

That's not very helpful to the OP, as Preview doesn't have even a fraction of the capabilities of Acrobat Professional. We're not talking about Acrobat Reader here.

OP, perhaps if you could go into more detail as to exactly why the updates won't install. "their updater thinks i have changed something or other" doesn't give us a lot to work with. What exact errors are you getting when installing the updates? What OS X version are you using?

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Hi and thanks

yes I have used preview but it doesn't come with the creation/editing tools (as far as I can see). i need to be able to create forms, etc. I was looking at Nuance PDF Converter for Mac but there were some negative reviews. I will download and play their the demo for 30 days, but wanted to see what else people might have used

A

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Hi I am using OS 10.7.3 and Adobe Acrobat 9.5.0

Adobe Updater advises that there is an update to 9.5.1 (in this instance) and I start to download. The updater start to install the update and then comes up with an message:

The Update could not be applied because the Adobe Acrobat application contents were modified since the original installation. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat and check for updates again.

Happens every time and I have not (knowingly) modified the application contents.

I have even tried a manual installation of the update with the adobe support engineer on the phone. They have even tried via remote connect and failed - their solution... yes you guessed it... reinstall

A

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
The Update could not be applied because the Adobe Acrobat application contents were modified since the original installation. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat and check for updates again.

Happens every time and I have not (knowingly) modified the application contents.

I am running 9.4.6 and get the same message when trying to upgrade to 9.5. :(

t-munny

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Adobe Acrobat application contents were modified?

Sorry to post on an old thread, but is there nothing to be done about this? I haven't had this problem until the 9.5.1 update, but it has become annoying to the point that I need to do something, anything. Adobe updater starts up every day and downloads the update, only to tell me it can't do it. Will a subsequent update work if this doesn't?

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Hi

Not that i have found, unless you reinstall and then apply every update individually.

As an organisation this issue ( as well as others) have made us move totally away from Adobe and I for one say good riddance! I dont suppose the loss will affect adobe, but I will be glad not to have to deal with the buggy systems

alex

chilangoboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Same Error w/ Acrobat Pro & Acrobat Reader 9.5.1 Updates

I've been having the same issue with BOTH 9.5.1 updates (for both Acrobat Pro, and, for Acrobat Reader) for which both my previous successful updates were Version 9.5.0 (on both Pro and Reader):

"The update could not be applied because the Adobe Acrobat application contents were modified since the original installation. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat and check for updates again."​

I have not modified either of these since install (with the exception of installing their respective Adobe updates along the way) and was hoping that something has been discovered by now so that I don't go through the motions of reinstalling and updating both and then finding that they still won't update.

Is everyone having this issue, or only some of us? And, is this incident isolated to Mac users only? Does anyone know?

It seems rather obvious that there may be something quirky about these particular updates since a few (or more) of us are having the same issue, without our having modified them as the install error message informs us.

I'm on an iMac 20" Intel (Desktop) DuoCore running a 10.6.8 Snow Leopard operating system.

My original Adobe Acrobat Pro (v. 9.5.0) was originally installed along with the Adobe CS5 Design Premium package. I've had NO other issues until this latest set of 9.5.1 updates.

Any help out there?

Thanks so much.

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
I know of many Mac users that are having the same issue - I am really disgusted with Adobe that they haven't sorted this.

We are having more incompatibility issues with other programs we run and we are slowly getting rid of ALL adobe software throughout out company.

We also train 1000 IT students every year, and from September 2012 Adobe software is being dropped. It is just too flakey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.