Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world
Oh please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,!
Audition is the only reason I have to use a PC at work. And, the only reason I use Bootcamp at home!
I have Protools Acell HD at home, but nothing is like the spectral editing in Audition.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Uuughh, Why? Audition sucks.

If you're going to edit audio on a Mac, use Logic or even Pro Tools.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. Audition is an incredible app and it would be really nice to have it bundled with Adobe CS...although that brings up the question of timing for this thing...too late for CS5, too early for CS6. I'd easily buy it separate for now though.

And while we're at it...I would pay big bucks for Photoshop and Soundbooth/Audition for the iPad.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Funny how Adobe seems to be taking Apple users more seriously these days after virtually abandoning the Mac platform or at least putting it a long way down the priorities list. Must those pesky Mac sales figures getting Adobe's attention.

What professional software world are you even from? At no point has Adobe waned from Apple products... it's... it's not even worth it to explain to ignorant Apple people about this stuff.

valvehead

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
USA
My jaw just hit the floor. I was not expecting to see this news.

I have been using Audition since it was CoolEdit 96. I currently use Audition 3.0 on my MBP (in Boot Camp) for all of my mastering work. It has grown to be a very powerful editor. Having this on OS X would save me from having to reboot into Boot Camp to edit my mixdowns from Cubase.

I'm really surprised that it's coming to OS X. I expect porting it over is a very difficult task. I'm also surprised because there hasn't been an update on the Windows side for quite a while. It was beginning to look like an abandoned product while Adobe was pushing Soundbooth (yuck). Hopefully this news will mean continued improvements on both platforms. *crosses fingers*

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star
What's wrong with Logic? I mean every time some Windows app gets (is getting Mac version) some go great distances to sing a song how it's awesome and everything else sucks.

Someone please explain. Thank you.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
It seems that many Mac users who are commenting about other Mac programs to use instead of Audition have never used Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit Pro). Both Adobe Audition and Sony's Soundforge grew up as wave editing software. They have many included effects and an audio editing workflow that does not match up exactly with any Mac software app I know of.

Having either (or both) Audition or Soundforge natively available on Mac OS would keep many pro audio users, who do a lot of audio editing, from having to boot into Windows to use them. This is welcome news!

Note: The majority of development work on Adobe Audition was done by an independent company called Syntrillium, which got bought out by Adobe in May 2003, so they could get their hands on Cool Edit Pro, and they renamed it Adobe Audition. The Cool Edit Pro code likely was not very Mac friendly, hence the time it took to rewrite this app natively.

More here: http://www.adobe.com/special/products/audition/syntrillium.html

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I wish Apple would make a competing product to Photoshop. It's the one missing Pro-Tools application where I'm sure Apple would be able to produce a great competing product (and at a much much lower price point I hope).

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I wish Apple would make a competing product to Photoshop. It's the one missing Pro-Tools application where I'm sure Apple would be able to produce a great competing product (and at a much much lower price point I hope).

No it's not.

After Effects. Illustrator. InDesign. Professionals don't use Motion.

Apple would never want to step it's toes on such an iconic application. It should stay away from anything graphic related.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I hope this turns out to be true. It's encouraging to see large developers like Adobe and AutoDesk increasing their contributions to OSX.
Now if only Apple could spend a little less time on their consumer products and give a bit more love to their professional clients. (Much) more frequent Mac Pro updates, more BTO options, Anti-glare Cinema Displays with screen tilt ability, etc. Please Apple?

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I hope this turns out to be true. It's encouraging to see large developers like Adobe and AutoDesk increasing their contributions to OSX.

Ha... Ha ha!

Autodesk is far too busy complaining about their new thing of the month and buying up competition to make an app designers would actually want to use.

Maxon on the other hand....

z4n3

Jun 2, 2008
So stupid. This is why many people think Apple fanboys are snobbish and idiotic.

Did you know that 80% of almost everything that's done well in design, photography, etc. all use Adobe products?

Audition is an excellent audio editor. Soundtrack Pro is not.

Your argument is without foundation, everyone can have a different view on how they fell about Adobe. I am a professional and have been using Adobe products for a hell of a long time, but also feel like it is all too little too late and if there where a contender I would change over to them in a heart beat! I am not a loyal Adobe customer, but like many others I am oblige to use there products in the workplace, but also use and support up and coming mac software. (pixelmator being one of my favorites)

Soundtrack is a PROFESSIONAL product and I use it quite a lot, and fits my needs perfectly and love everything about it, and as I said before each person has the right to like or dislike a product.

So maybe next time before calling a person idiotic and making huge generalist comments about mac users you should think twice.

I do not buy mac for being snobbish and I am far from idiotic...

loyal Apple fanboy..
:apple: A bad craftsman always blames his tools. :apple:

No it's not.

After Effects. Illustrator. InDesign. Professionals don't use Motion.

Apple would never want to step it's toes on such an iconic application. It should stay away from anything graphic related.

You obviously are not a professional, I use Motion on a daily basis to knock out quick lower thirds and or quick demos for possible ads.

There is no other program on the planet that you can make 5 ads in 30mins. and keep you boss thinking you are a demi-god of the editing world :p

I just wish people would stop letting everyone know how easy Motion is to use!!! kinda gets hard to justify my wage :p

p.s.

Do not know many people who use After Effects, Motion, Illustrator, and InDesign :p

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Never used Audition so I can't speak, but CoolEdit was awesome at the time.

Sound Studio 3 fills my limited needs very nicely now.

I totally agree with Apple's stance on Flash, and Adobe should be ashamed of what they have done to Acrobat over the years. It is a shame that the software companies have to rely on feature bloat to create upgrades for cash flow, rather than creating new innovative products. (Don't even get me started on Autodesk).

Melodic

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I hope this is true. I have been looking for a mac alternative to audition forever. The only reason I still have a windows box is because I use audition for work.

If Sony brought sound forge over I'd be in heaven! I've been using sound studio as an alternative to sound forge only because editing the wave form is very similar but it's just not cutting it (pun unintended)

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
remember SoundEdit16? *sigh memories* i guess Sound Booth is the successor of SE16, no?

Oh man! That was THE APP I miss(ed) most in the switch from OS 9 > OS X.
For what it did (edit stereo audio) it was hands down THE BEST on the Mac platform. So simple. So efficient. So effective. So... missed.

I'm a PTLE fan. I find it's an excellent wave form editing tool. But it's not the best for, say, tracking a live recording and exporting several tracks. Takes way too much time. Which is where something like an SE16 is sorely needed.
Peak was about the closest but it tried too hard - doing too much for a basic editor but not enough to be a PTLE. And frankly, one only needs either an SE16 or a PT(LE).

I've long thought there a good opportunity for a developer to built a simple wave form editor for Mac OS X. Wonder why SE16 neve ported over?

SE16 for iPad? :D

z4n3

Jun 2, 2008
Never used Audition so I can't speak, but CoolEdit was awesome at the time.

Sound Studio 3 fills my limited needs very nicely now.

I totally agree with Apple's stance on Flash, and Adobe should be ashamed of what they have done to Acrobat over the years. It is a shame that the software companies have to rely on feature bloat to create upgrades for cash flow, rather than creating new innovative products. (Don't even get me started on Autodesk).

Autodesk at least brought Smoke to OSX.....BTW it is amazing....:p

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Your argument is without foundation, everyone can have a different view on how they fell about Adobe. I am a professional and have been using Adobe products for a hell of a long time, but also feel like it is all too little too late and if there where a contender I would change over to them in a heart beat! I am not a loyal Adobe customer, but like many others I am oblige to use there products in the workplace, but also use and support up and coming mac software. (pixelmator being one of my favorites)

Soundtrack is a PROFESSIONAL product and I use it quite a lot, and fits my needs perfectly and love everything about it, and as I said before each person has the right to like or dislike a product.

So maybe next time before calling a person idiotic and making huge generalist comments about mac users you should think twice.

I do not buy mac for being snobbish and I am far from idiotic...

loyal Apple fanboy..
:apple: A bad craftsman always blames his tools. :apple:

You're only thinking about yourself. There are large studios that rely on Adobe workflows and you want to take that away from them?

I wasn't debating if Soundtrack Pro is usable or not, it's just a tool. I use it too, but I would prefer to use Audition. It has more professional features and it's a better GUI. Have you ever touched it???

I was just stating how the other person(s) were downplaying Audition just because it was from Adobe. I find that funny. Thats like protesting cars from Honda, even though it's the competition to Toyota. Get my drift?

You obviously are not a professional, I use Motion on a daily basis to knock out quick lower thirds and or quick demos for possible ads.

There is no other program on the planet that you can make 5 ads in 30mins. and keep you boss thinking you are a demi-god of the editing world :p

I just wish people would stop letting everyone know how easy Motion is to use!!! kinda gets hard to justify my wage :p

p.s.

Do not know many people who use After Effects, Motion, Illustrator, and InDesign :p

Hehe, very funny. You make lower thirds for your church? :D

Child, I work for one of the biggest motion graphic firms in the world, which I will not talk about here.

Graphic design is NOT editing. Motion design is NOT editing.

It's bosses like yours that cannot comprehend the institution that is motion design.

You don't know how many people use AE, Illustrator & InDesign? That's because you make lower thirds for your church.

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
Hehe, very funny. You make lower thirds for your church? :D

Child, I work for one of the biggest motion graphic firms in the world, which I will not talk about here.

Graphic design is NOT editing. Motion design is NOT editing.

It's bosses like yours that cannot comprehend the institution that is motion design.

You don't know how many people use AE, Illustrator & InDesign? That's because you make lower thirds for your church.

Wow man, that really made you look like a douche bag. No one cares who you work for or what you do.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I don't see why it wouldn't be coming to Mac, seeing as Soundbooth has already been ported.

Having said that, I lost interest when it was announced that Steinberg WaveLab 7 would be coming to Mac this year. WL is one of the main reasons why I have to fire up BootCamp daily.

Another product from Adobe :rolleyes:
Err... it's CoolEdit from Syntrillium, which was purchased by Adobe a few years ago. Just like Macromedia was. This is a testament to the brainwashing powers of Steve... all he has to do is badmouth a company that used to be best buddies with Apple the day before, and all his little lemmings immediately join the choir. I guess if Adobe bought out Final Cut Studio and Logic tomorrow and released them as-is only with an Adobe logo on the About screen, FC and Logic would suddenly be awful products...? Please... make up your own mind about things, don't let Steve do it for you.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Wow man, that really made you look like a douche bag. No one cares who you work for or what you do.

I think I have more authority about this subject than you or anyone else does.

Doubt I look like a douchebag. I'm only after the truth and there is not much truth here. It's just a bunch of teenagers making comments about things they have no idea about. You don't know the history of Adobe products and why they are important to the industry. What's between Apple and Adobe is between them, not you, the 3rd party. Obviously what happens will affect us, but they are large companies and they can take care of themselves.

I get really frustrated sometimes when I visit this forum, although I still like it. There are a lot of misinformed people making judgement calls on things they have no idea about.

Do I go on an auto mechanics forum or a racing forum and start talking about parts or gear? No. Because I don't know much about those things.

I usually see these types of issues coming from misinformed Apple users. I hate generalizing, but that's just the way it is.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
It's just a bunch of teenagers making comments about things they have no idea about. You don't know the history of Adobe products and why they are important to the industry.
Sad but true. When I see all these lemmings joining the Two Minute Hate sessions against Adobe, I can't help but replay images in my head of furious muslims throwing copies of Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses into book burning pyres. I'm guessing roughly 0.0003% of them actually made an attempt to read it, the rest are just blindly following whoever started screaming first.

ddTaylor

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Just use garage band

I hope you are not being serious? Are you a professional audio engineer? I am - and while GB is a NICE yet pedestrian audio application, it lacks all tools and refinement that Audition offers - all well as a myriad third-party tools and add-on's.

Thank you for playing - please try again.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.