Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValiumLolliPoP

Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
I'm going to be purchasing the 1.2 ghz ibook. I was considering the 12" powerbook with the 1.33 ghz because they are same price with my educational discount. I've pretty much leaned over to the ibook side of things since i really like the longer battery life and i won't be doing too much gaming on it. So i was just wondering if the Adobe Suite would be slow on the 1.2 ghz or would you see a noticeable difference on the 1.33 ghz? If anyone who has an ibook with adobe could tell me some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Valium :)

sprocklingcat

macrumors member
May 4, 2002
KS
speed wise you wont see a difference really between the two. However I have always leaned (leant?) towards the powerbook 1) for the contruction quality of the aluminum (just tap the keys on both and you will see what i mean) 2)with the adobe stuff and the powerbook you'll soon appreciate the ability to span monitors 3)i truly think the battery life between the two will be negligible at most

some background info: i have used a 12" PowerBook for the past 6 months and had an ibook g3 before that.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I run the suite on a PB 12" rev B. The only thing I will say is max out your RAM if you can. 512mb is ok, but it really sings with 1gb or better.

The other thing to consider on the PB vs. the iBook is the official support of spanning monitors. Love that feature.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'd choose the 12" pBook on the dual monitor support alone. Battery life should be practically the same, esp. running any Adobe program on either.

ValiumLolliPoP

Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
i know many people bring up the dual monitor issue... however, i will not need that function at all. This laptop is going to be used basically as a desktop would be used. I don't want to buy an external monitor because hey, it's a dorm room! I'm buying the laptop this tuesday and i'm a bit worried about making the right decision... correction:making a decision. I know if i go with the ibook or the pbook i'll love it! While the pbook gives you the "i'm totally rock solid i LOOK like i'm made of steel" look, it's more prone to dents and in my opinion heats up more. After all, only the cover is hard. With the ibook you get a longer battery life (i'll be using wifi in the library and traveling on planes) and a casing that while may crack and get scuffed, seems to be very durable. And there is only a .13 ghz of a difference between the models i'm looking at. So i'm thinking the ibook is the way to go. Plus i'd buy the 12" and i wanna go bigger with the 14".

So that settled (sorry i have to reassure myself) now i have to think about RAM! haha thats another sad issue that i ramble about in my OCD and ADD ridden mind! But thank you all for your help! And i am so proud to be entering into such a close-knit community of great minds! I can finally not get pissed off at my computer. Maybe i will have a computer beating party for my old clunker! It only has 6 gigs and 64 mb of RAM!! Running windows 98 but was originally 95. It has an error when you boot up... random restarts... blue screen of death... and also... the RED SCREEN OF SATAN! haha, i bet you never heard of that one! So this tuesday another windows computer is put out of comission!
:)
-Valium

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
ValiumLolliPoP said:
i know many people bring up the dual monitor issue... however, i will not need that function at all. This laptop is going to be used basically as a desktop would be used. I don't want to buy an external monitor because hey, it's a dorm room! I'm buying the laptop this tuesday and i'm a bit worried about making the right decision... correction:making a decision. I know if i go with the ibook or the pbook i'll love it! While the pbook gives you the "i'm totally rock solid i LOOK like i'm made of steel" look, it's more prone to dents and in my opinion heats up more. After all, only the cover is hard. With the ibook you get a longer battery life (i'll be using wifi in the library and traveling on planes) and a casing that while may crack and get scuffed, seems to be very durable. And there is only a .13 ghz of a difference between the models i'm looking at. So i'm thinking the ibook is the way to go. Plus i'd buy the 12" and i wanna go bigger with the 14".

So that settled (sorry i have to reassure myself) now i have to think about RAM! haha thats another sad issue that i ramble about in my OCD and ADD ridden mind! But thank you all for your help! And i am so proud to be entering into such a close-knit community of great minds! I can finally not get pissed off at my computer. Maybe i will have a computer beating party for my old clunker! It only has 6 gigs and 64 mb of RAM!! Running windows 98 but was originally 95. It has an error when you boot up... random restarts... blue screen of death... and also... the RED SCREEN OF SATAN! haha, i bet you never heard of that one! So this tuesday another windows computer is put out of comission!
-Valium

You know, not to be rude, but if you are so sure what you want to get, then why are you asking us our opinions? Most people suggested powerbook but you still keen on ibook.

14"ibook to me seems kinda tacky. Not to mention screen top res is still 1024x768(same as 12"). So as u can imagine, it's not gonna be as pretty on a larger screen. iBooks are also easily scratchable and don't come with standard airport-x. You can also put faster HDD into powerbook and it also has faster ram. I tested PS on both ibook 12" and pbook 12" with same ram, just the app launch took 3 seconds less on pbook. But it's your call.

sambo.

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
outback, far from the surf
my two cents.......

i have run Photoshop, Illustrator & Quark on my G3/333 lappy which i bought new in 1999.

while i won't claim it's the fastest beast on the market (it was when i bought it tho'), it has happily served me very well, not to mention been the envy of PC using colleagues right up until today (actually, yesterday when it whooped a P4 lappy while scanning pix with a Nikon CoolScan II)

oh yeah, i only have 198 Mb of RAM, with RAM, the more the merrier.

i wouldn't concern myself with a .13Ghz difference in processor speed, you prolly won't notice it in "real life" unless you ran the two side by side.

on the battery-life issue - all claimed specs for this have to be taken with a very large grain of salt. perhaps you could reach Apples claimed max batt life - if you only ever use SimpleText, scale back processor speed etc (amazing how much of a diff that makes BTW).

my only advice is get the best you can afford and then fill the bastard with RAM, the diff between PB's and iBooks is pretty marginal, if you don't NEED the extra functionality in a PB, get an iBook and spend the cash you saved on more RAM/apps/buying drinks for that cute blonde at the end of the bar et al. :cool:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Too second the processor speed difference, .13 will not make a big difference; but coupled with the faster RAM and the larger VRAM you'll never second guess the performance of the PB vs. the iBook.

And I'll never understand the "dent" issue of the PB. I have owned and used notebooks of all sorts for over 10 years. Never dropped them. And with the small size of the PB 12", it has seen a lot of travel.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
ValiumLolliPoP said:
I'm going to be purchasing the 1.2 ghz ibook. I was considering the 12" powerbook with the 1.33 ghz because they are same price with my educational discount. I've pretty much leaned over to the ibook side of things since i really like the longer battery life and i won't be doing too much gaming on it. So i was just wondering if the Adobe Suite would be slow on the 1.2 ghz or would you see a noticeable difference on the 1.33 ghz? If anyone who has an ibook with adobe could tell me some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Valium :)

You won't see much until you start to like AE. It really slows with 5 layers of effects. I haven't tried 6.5 yet.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ValiumLolliPoP said:

-Valium

Just a follow-up on the battery life question. Apple specs are one hour better for the iBook over the PB. In real world that is about 15 to 30 minutes more if my PB 12" rev. B is any indication.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I run Adobe CS on my PB 17" 1.33 every day. My primary use programs are Photoshop and Illustrator. It runs both just fine - I maxed out the RAM to 2 GB which helps in larger Photoshop files. I often work off an external HD which speeds up the saving of larger files.

If you're debating which machine to get I'd go with a PB and buy as much RAM as you can.

ValiumLolliPoP

Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Rezet said:
You know, not to be rude, but if you are so sure what you want to get, then why are you asking us our opinions? Most people suggested powerbook but you still keen on ibook.

14"ibook to me seems kinda tacky. Not to mention screen top res is still 1024x768(same as 12"). So as u can imagine, it's not gonna be as pretty on a larger screen. iBooks are also easily scratchable and don't come with standard airport-x. You can also put faster HDD into powerbook and it also has faster ram. I tested PS on both ibook 12" and pbook 12" with same ram, just the app launch took 3 seconds less on pbook. But it's your call.

You know, not to be rude, but i've followed pretty much every thread in this site and especially those about the ibook over the pbook. Yes i did ask for everyones opinion in this particular thread, but i've drawn my own conclusion based on information from all of macrumors.com, including this thread. Yes, I can buy a whole crapload of RAM on a pbook but i don't have that kind of money. The particular model i'm looking at for the 14" ibook DOES come with an Airport Extreme card. I'm not a professional doing any kind of work here, just a student. Plus the processor is only .13 ghz slower with the ibook.

-Valium
p.s. do i really have to take back my comment about how i'm proud to be entering into a community of "great minds"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.