Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Want to get our work 6 Mac network online next year... and BT are going to price an ADSL line for us that is separate from the phone switchboard and IT's line.

I plan to expand the T1000 (gigabit switch) up to a 16 port one to cope with possible staff and equipment increases, including setting up our own FTP server in a year or two's time.

So the question is: Get a router, right? Does it go between the network switch and the ADSL line? :eek:

Any router recommendations?

Any other tips or advice very welcome...

Thanks
BV

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Yes, I believe that you are correct. I employ a cable modem at home that connects to an Apple Airport Extreme router for my network. If I remember my network theory correctly you will need at least one router to assign internal IP addresses to your computers and the switch represents the best way to connect the computers together without limiting your network performance (such as would happen with a hub). However, at the scale of the network that you are looking at I have no experience and can't make specific product recommendations. However, I do think you are on the right track, if that helps.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Yeah you'll need a router to convert the DSL signal to ethernet. As to which one though...

Depends how future proof you want to make it. As it's for a business I would go for a Cisco 1721. It's modular, meaning it will accept SDSL and ADSL2+ cards at a later date if you decide you need more bandwidth, and providing you buy the right IOS (the software it runs) it will act as both VPN server and firewall. You can also do port forwarding on it to the FTP server if external clients want to access it.

Otherwise if you want to spend less, at the other end of the scale you can go for one of the basic Netgear jobs like the DG632 which will do the business. They are more meant for home use, but they're cheap as hell and will uplink to your switch quite happily.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Thanks for all help so far... I've got to cost out next year's plan and also one for the next four years. :eek:

So a simple router might do for next year and then go for something more capable a year down the line.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sounds like a plan. Will installation of this be required by a third party company? :cool:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
dynamicv said:
Will installation of this be required by a third party company? :cool:

Er... no. :D

The organisation has a brokered deal with Class Telecoms so they'll sort out the new line and ISP. Me and my collegues will muddle through the networking with possibly some input from IT and also... MR. :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
dynamicv said:
Ah well, you can't blame me for trying :p

But if you can hold my hand through any unforeseen probs, there'll be a nice dinner in it for you. :) ;)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Blue Velvet said:
But if you can hold my hand through any unforeseen probs, there'll be a nice dinner in it for you. :) ;)
Go on then. Will there be wine? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.