Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
I am thinking about switching to vonage. I am sure some of you people out there use it, or have used it. Anyone have any opinions about the service that they wish to share?
Thnx

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I've had it for a couple months and overall I'm pretty satisfied, at first it was a little rough since they had some shipping problems with my adapter (took about a month to get here) but when it came it worked well. The only other problem I've had with it is that the quality got fuzzy one day but a quick call to customer service fixed that.

Their customer service is pretty helpful if you have any problems so overall I'd say I was pretty satisfied.

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
Roger1 said:
I tried Vonage. It was horrid. I don't think I had a complete call the entire time I had it.

do you know why you were getting dropped calls?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
wiggy4ever said:

Usually its the users network/ISP/router that causes it to be that bad. I have had Vonage for going on 3 years now and have had very few issues. I think its a great deal for the price, and the quality has been spectacular.

It has had issues, but few and far between.

Ed

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
great, i have decent internet service, so i may have to give it a try, thnx!

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
wiggy4ever said:

We never did figure it out. Vonage wanted me to run a continuous ping to some place, but my isp doesn't allow pinging.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
It works great for us... We had problems with ringing being interrupted at one point... Vonage adjusted the ringing frequency and fixed the problem.

The only complaint i've heard was from someone who has a crappy broadband service. If you have problems with your broadband service to begin with, Vonage isn't going to work correctly. It's not Vonage's fault!

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I have had only -one- problem with my cable internet the entire time I have had it. That was when the cable was broken due to weather. As for the speed of my Internet, at the time, it was over 2.0 MBPS, 99% of the time. Vonage told me their phone needed only (if I remember correctly) 32kbps to function. I think it was some kind of funky packet issue. Ah, well.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
i have comcast for my cable TV, internet and phone. it's been pretty nice so far. i don't know about vonage specifically but the internet phone technology is catching on... i don't have any complaints.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I know several people who use vonage and swear by it. But then again, they all have Comcast or Charter for their Internet. I use Millenium Digital for mine.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I have Vonage and I love it. No problems in the year I have had it. If you decide to sign up, I could refer you (so I could get a free month). :) Send me a pm if you're interested.

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
when my family decides what they are doing, ill let u know
njmac said:
I have Vonage and I love it. No problems in the year I have had it. If you decide to sign up, I could refer you (so I could get a free month). :) Send me a pm if you're interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.