Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I want my photos and videos for the best quality such as sharper pictures, sharper videos, crispness and etc.

In the camera app, should I use the Apple ProRAW 48mp setting?

As far as videos go, I have it currently on the 4K with 24fps.

Would these settings above be high quality enough or would it require more settings to make?

Some videos are just for fun like holiday gatherings and vacation videos, but some of my videos will be uploaded on YouTube.

I want YouTube viewers to watch my videos in the highest quality possible.

For YouTube, is 4K 24fps be good enough? Or would HD be more better?

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Camera > Formats > Photo Capture > Pro Default > HEIF Max

Camera > Record Video > 4K at 60 fps

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
For what it’s worth, I go to a Star Trek convention every year and take videos when just walking around. The 60 fps makes a huge difference. There is so much movement in the subjects but also because I’m moving as well. If you were taking a video of someone sitting and talking, for example, you could likely get by with 30fps. 24fps is used to match film as I understand it. I still use basic HD 1080 when it’s going to be a very long video because of space. But 4K 60 fps is my default.

Also note that you won’t always get 48 megapixel photos. You only get that using the regular lens. The telephoto and ultra wide on the 15 Pro Max are just 12 megapixels. But even when you use the main lens you have to hit the HEIF Max button. By default it has a line through it meaning it’s off. Turn it on for the 48 megapixel photos. Otherwise you still get 24 megapixels. In low light all bets are off and you get what you get.

It’s helpful to experiment with taking photos and videos around the house then checking out the metadata to see what quality you’re actually getting. For videos if you can watch them on a large screen you’ll likely see the difference between 4K and 1080 as well as with different fps settings.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
My issues with HEIF are that I send videos and pictures to most Windows users and HEIC or HEIF is not compatible with running on Windows.

I modified my current setup to this:

Camera > Formats > Photo Capture > Pro Default > JPEG Max 48 mp

Camera > Record Video > 4K at 30 fps

Is this good quality enough?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
HEIF will not work because what if I need send these files to Windows users and HEIF formats will not work on Windows.

Windows 11 supports reading those image files by default. Windows 10 users can download a free add on.

Reactions: javisan

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Good enough for max compatibility. HEIF photos will be sharper and brighter.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I just tried the 4k/60fps and not good as I noticed my digital clock was flickering…

I’ll stick with the 4k/30fps. With that, the clock doesn’t flicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.