Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I am looking to create a very simple app. Essentially it’s a backend database connected to a user facing skin, not unlike imdb.com. For example, the database would have lists of movies and actors, and the user could click on a movie to see which actors are in it, and click on an actor's name to find out what other movies they are in.

I have zero programming experience, and I am just looking to build the 1.0 version of this app myself. If I get positive feedback I’ll bring on developers to build a better UI and a more robust database. But I’d like to try to get something very basic off the ground first.

I suppose for the moment I need a backend database and a way to design the UI. I could try to build the UI myself in Xcode but I’m not above using an existing template. Is there a Squarespce for iOS app development?

I noticed that Microsoft Azure has an App Service that could make it easy to create a UI for both web and iOS, the connects to their own SQL, all with every little programming. Is that a good option?

My preference would be that whatever tools I use are free or very low cost as this is just a hobby for the moment. Also, I’m hoping a future developer could take what I’ve done and either build upon my groundwork or import the data into a more robust solution.

What are the best tools to build this initial version of the app?

Thanks!

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
You could try Firebase. Its simple and has an easy to use framework for iOS. Most of the backend word is done for you, its' great.

There are some websites that claim to be drag and drop app building platforms but I haven't used them. I doubt they have integration with a database since that would require specific knowledge of what REST calls you want make as well as custom database parameters.

Long story short, I would recommend using Firebase and building the App in Xcode with Swift. It may be a bit more work, but you will end up with a much better product overall.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I am looking to create a very simple app. Essentially it’s a backend database connected to a user facing skin, not unlike imdb.com. For example, the database would have lists of movies and actors, and the user could click on a movie to see which actors are in it, and click on an actor's name to find out what other movies they are in.

I have zero programming experience, and I am just looking to build the 1.0 version of this app myself. If I get positive feedback I’ll bring on developers to build a better UI and a more robust database. But I’d like to try to get something very basic off the ground first.

I suppose for the moment I need a backend database and a way to design the UI. I could try to build the UI myself in Xcode but I’m not above using an existing template. Is there a Squarespce for iOS app development?

I noticed that Microsoft Azure has an App Service that could make it easy to create a UI for both web and iOS, the connects to their own SQL, all with every little programming. Is that a good option?

My preference would be that whatever tools I use are free or very low cost as this is just a hobby for the moment. Also, I’m hoping a future developer could take what I’ve done and either build upon my groundwork or import the data into a more robust solution.

What are the best tools to build this initial version of the app?

Thanks!
You can look at the template apps. I've seem them in the few hundred $$ range, I don't know what they use for a backend. Make sure you check into what rights you have before you purchase anything.

I don't think I would advise trying to learn app dev for 1 app. It's more involved than most people realize.

Is there some reason you don't hire a programmer for this job?

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
You can look at the template apps. I've seem them in the few hundred $$ range, I don't know what they use for a backend. Make sure you check into what rights you have before you purchase anything.

I don't think I would advise trying to learn app dev for 1 app. It's more involved than most people realize.

Is there some reason you don't hire a programmer for this job?

It's definitely more involved than I anticipated. I have spent the better part of the week playing with and watching tutorials for Xcode and I still haven't built a working button.

I would love to hire a programmer to build this but I assumed it would be too costly. Are there resources for finding programmers to build apps like this?

And do you know where I might be able to purchase a template to get started? That could also be helfpul.

thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.